New NEC 20WMGX2!!! (Pics inside 56K)

So, I just sent the Acer back, and it looks like I've basically thrown $150 (15% fee and shipping) down the drain simply because I had to deal with mail order only. The CC and BB around here don't really have what I was looking for. Now I have to wait about a week to get my money back, and am definitely going to get this monitor. I thought what I really wanted was a 22 inch Trinitron, but after setting my old CRT back up, I can tell a huge difference in IQ, quite drastic actually. So even if LCD's have flaws for every advantage over CRT's, the 20WMGX2 looks like the best comprimise from both monitor types. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for another letdown. :(

Sanctuary said:
So, I just sent the Acer back, and it looks like I've basically thrown $150 (15% fee and shipping) down the drain simply because I had to deal with mail order only. The CC and BB around here don't really have what I was looking for. Now I have to wait about a week to get my money back, and am definitely going to get this monitor. I thought what I really wanted was a 22 inch Trinitron, but after setting my old CRT back up, I can tell a huge difference in IQ, quite drastic actually. So even if LCD's have flaws for every advantage over CRT's, the 20WMGX2 looks like the best comprimise from both monitor types. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for another letdown. :(

That sucks! Who was the vendor maybe I can help you.

20WMGX2 is not much of a compromise... I have a feeling you will be satisfied.

I just read back in the thread.. newegg. YGPM

Sanctuary said:

the nec 20wmgx2 has been out for awhile, i would wait until nec releases a new version with more contrast ratio

UnrealCpu said:
the nec 20wmgx2 has been out for awhile, i would wait until nec releases a new version with more contrast ratio

The 20WMGX2 is like 8 months old. It's highly doubtful NEC will release a new version in the time frame this guy is looking to buy a monitor. LG hasn't even released a new 20.1" AS-IPS panel yet (the one in the 20WMGX2 is the latest one they have).

rhashem said:
The 20WMGX2 is like 8 months old. It's highly doubtful NEC will release a new version in the time frame this guy is looking to buy a monitor. LG hasn't even released a new 20.1" AS-IPS panel yet (the one in the 20WMGX2 is the latest one they have).

This guy knows what he's talking about. Nothing out there comes close to the quality of this lcd monitor. I'm basicly done with lcd's as iam waiting for newegg to re-stock the best crt's ever made the 21 inch diamondtrons and i will no longer look back toward lcd's. Lcd's are only good for one thing only which is web browsing and desk space, nothing more. My 2 cents..

Oh my GOD... I bought this yesterday and just got all the settings right....

I don't think I've ever been happier with a purchase in my life.

I would buy it again even if it costed 200$ more. It's extremely hard to explain to people why i spent 550$ on a monitor... but the few who have come to my place and seen it understand now.

JUST GET IT!! SUPPORT GOOD COMPANIES LIKE NEC AND GOOD TECHNOLOGY LIKE AS-IPS (YES NOT S-IPS)!!!!!

Does anyone have a photo of this monitor with the speaker bar removed?

ATW said:
Does anyone have a photo of this monitor with the speaker bar removed?

IMG_0140.jpg

this one is kinda blurry, but the game looks great

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Mysticode said:
Am I the only one bothered by the rounded edges?
As I pointed out to someone else, its not what surrounds the monitor you should be looking for, the round edges don't bother me at all.

I believe I will be picking one of these up.

I just went through 2 Gateway FPD2275W's and a Samsung 225BW and while they both are great deals for the money my main problem has been what I can best describe as viewing the "frost" effect that the anti-glare coating creates. This same effect exists on the Dell D600 laptop I'm on but it certainly isn't as exaggerated. Perhaps the lamp differences have alot to do with it. The main thing here is after continuosly tuning these LCD's again and again I couldn't get to the point where my eyes were happy. Gaming was no problem on those 5ms monitors, however, but I do require the ability to surf on sites, such as this one, for hours on end therefore it needs to be easy on the eyes =).

Viewing angles for the most part were ok but once your eye level was inline or below the middle of the screen (ie. leaning back in the chair) it became evident that the first quarter of the screen was going dark.

I went for an LCD back in 2004 and I believe it was a 12ms Hitachi at that time. I don't remember the model number. Motion blur (typically on lighting effects) left me with headache really quick so I dumped the idea and opted for a NEC Multisync FP2141SB.

As far as that monitor goes, the color seems to still be pretty good, but the constrast is at 100% these days.

I want widescreen now and a little more room would be nice so that the monitor can sit a few feet back instead of in my face =). I've come to the end of the road just before shelving the idea once again.

From what I've read the majority of new owners of the NEC 20wmxg2 are pretty happy. I believe I had seen one mention of motion blur, but I dont believe that the individual actually owned the unit and was referring to a review. Sure motion blur will always exist to some degree, but during use "do you actually register it?" is the main concern to me. I certainly didn't notice any blurring while gaming on the previously mentioned LCD's above, so my guess is that there would be a similar experience with the NEC.

Unfortunately, I cant find this model in store anywhere, like most people, in order to get a feel for what it is like. Bestbuy.com has it for 599 w/free shipping and shows the picture of the black version however the listed model number 20WMXG2 (without the -BK) indicates to me that it would be the white version being shipped.

I bought a 20WMGX2 a week ago in town (Best buy) and have been comparing it to my FW900 CRT (side by side) , I must say this LCD has amazing picture quality during the day , my only gripe would be the black levels at night time or in a dark room. ,blacks display as a medium / dark gray at best,mainly noticable when watching movies or playing darker games like Fear / Condemned. But if I leave a nearby lamp on the black levels look *a lot* nicer (this courtesy of the Opticlear screen)

When looking at various photos its almost like im looking through a window on the LCD, Very impressive.. I think the Glossy screen goes a long way here, I hated the rough matte screen on my previous 2001FP LCD which gave it a 'grainy' apperance, everything is super clean & smooth on the NEC.

Motion blur is present but not awful, I still havent came across an LCD that can maintain texture details during motion, for example stand facing a wall in 'FPS game of choice' and Strafe left and right , Note how the texture details become blurry until you stop, on a CRT the textures remail crystal clear during movement .. Probably a small gripe for some but this blur would take some getting used to coming from a CRT.

I hooked up my Xbox360 (VGA cable) to the LCD and was very impressed , I figured running out of its native res would look bad but when I tried 1280x720 (720P) it looked fantastic. The NEC also has a "Black level" adjustment over VGA wich is basically a gamma adjust, this solves the common '360 is washed out over VGA' complaint on LCDs, Unfortunately the Component input quality (Xbox360) is average at best on the NEC, I tried 480p / 720p / 1080i and none of them came close to the quality of the VGA cable. 360' Component looks amazing on my XBR CRT HDTV so its not a cable issue.

I still have 7 days to decide If I wanna keep the LCD but so far im thinkin about keeping it even if it means using it only for web browsing / text / photos and use the CRT for everything else ;)

Xbox360 running @ 720P / VGA:
360_VGA_720P.jpg

i got mine at bestbuy a week ago and it's the black version. buy it. i'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Mathesar,
Well I'm thinking my complaint had been more afterglow than motion blur.

I dont know if it was you but I did see someone post side by side pics of the FW900 and NEC at night with the stars screen saver and demonstrating the luminance. My NEC FP2141SB and Panasonic CT30WX54 CRT's both have luminance when the brightness is raised to a certain point which is what I require for my settings overall. I noticed with the LCD's you could dump the brightness to 0 and still have the same luminance you started with. The demonstration didn't seem that bad for the NEC as compared to what I'm used to. It didn't seem that it would overpower a dark game. I noticed with the TN 5ms panels i tested (all the same just two different manufacturs) that there was a speckly/cloudy action going on in the backlight, basically some areas of the backlight were lighter than others, and you could see intermixed into game screen. Gears of War was my test of course.

ODNT,
Can you comment how the response compares to the current 5ms TN panels? I have seen claims that this panel is equivalent to a 2ms TN, but you know how reveiws are.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here and I appreciate the responses. While I have the cash ready I just want to achieve a little more certainty since I'm now considering purchasing directly off the web.

Thanks.

i personally perfer no image stretching for my 360, so it gives me black bars on the top and bottom.

IMG_0231.jpg

Mathesar, do you think the VGA cable would be worth the extra $40???

Also, I noticed you use it at 720p, right now I have mine at 1080i, would it be better for me to run it at 720p as well?

Can anyone confirm if this LCD has 1:1 pixel mapping? Or does it stretch everything horizontally. I'm talking about true 16:9 not 16:10 which is what I've heard this LCD stretches the screen to.

It has scaling options for analog sources, but not DVI (except in DVI-HD mode, which is designed for video sources only).

It has scaling options for analog sources, but not DVI (except in DVI-HD mode, which is designed for video sources only).
Not sure I follow. If I wanted to use 1:1 for my PS3 using DVI it wouldn't work?

It has two DVI modes, DVI-PC and DVI-HD. DVI-PC supports standard PC resolutions but has no scaling options. DVI-HD supports 720p and 1080i and has scaling options, but I don't know if DVI-HD supports 1080p.

It has two DVI modes, DVI-PC and DVI-HD. DVI-PC supports standard PC resolutions but has no scaling options. DVI-HD supports 720p and 1080i and has scaling options, but I don't know if DVI-HD supports 1080p.
I'm only interested in 720p. But is it TRUE 720p at 1:1 -- 16:9 or is it stretched horizontally at 16:10?

Mathesar,
Well I'm thinking my complaint had been more afterglow than motion blur.

I dont know if it was you but I did see someone post side by side pics of the FW900 and NEC at night with the stars screen saver and demonstrating the luminance. My NEC FP2141SB and Panasonic CT30WX54 CRT's both have luminance when the brightness is raised to a certain point which is what I require for my settings overall. I noticed with the LCD's you could dump the brightness to 0 and still have the same luminance you started with. The demonstration didn't seem that bad for the NEC as compared to what I'm used to. It didn't seem that it would overpower a dark game. I noticed with the TN 5ms panels i tested (all the same just two different manufacturs) that there was a speckly/cloudy action going on in the backlight, basically some areas of the backlight were lighter than others, and you could see intermixed into game screen. Gears of War was my test of course.

Unfortunately the fw900 / 20wmgx2 shot I took wasnt all that accurate (ill take another soon) in person the LCD's screen is brighter than that at night ,in a dark room the lack of black does overpower darker areas in games & movies BUT its not as bad as my previous 2001FP LCD.... but still lacking compared to my CRT, I watched an episode of House (720P) lastnight with it playing on both monitors and couldn't help being disappointed by the LCDs "washed out" appearance and lack of shadow details in the darker scenes.

I dont see any of this 'twinkling' or 'sparkling' that ive heard of with movie playback on LCDs and the 20WMGX2's screen is very uniform, I dont notice any difference in brightness across the screen.

I'm only interested in 720p. But is it TRUE 720p at 1:1 -- 16:9 or is it stretched horizontally at 16:10?
It lets you choose:

FULL - This is 16:10 (stretched to fill the screen)
ASPECT - This is 16:9 for 720p (black bars at the top and bottom)
OFF - This is 1:1 (centered)

It lets you choose:

FULL - This is 16:10 (stretched to fill the screen)
ASPECT - This is 16:9 for 720p (black bars at the top and bottom)
OFF - This is 1:1 (centered)
Thank you kindly for the extra clarification. Much appreciated.

Would anyone mind measuring just the panel viewable dimensions (W x H) ? I know its an odd question, but I have the 22" wide panel size fresh on my mind yet no 20.1 visual to compare it with =). Also, I want to get an idea of the screen area versus the 16" W x 12" H tube area of my (21" rated, yet 20" diagonal) aging CRT.

Thanks.

I just picked up an NEC 20WMGX2.

Bugs:

1:1 pixel mapping and Aspect scaling result in what appears to be a tearing artifact. I've only tested this with DVI, in DVI-HD mode. I tested with my Panasonic S97 upscaling DVD player with HDMI out. At 720x480p, 1280x720p, and 1920x1080i, image tearing is extremely obvious on the NEC. In most cases it is in the same spot - approximately halfway down the image you will see the video frame mismatch whenever the camera pans left or right.

This is the 2nd NEC 20WMGX2 I've tried with the same problem. The 1st one I returned because of a couple of dead pixels AND it had a serious burn-in issue at the top portion of the screen!

It appears that this monitor is very finicky with DVI detection - it took me 10 minutes to resolve a problem with "no signal" errors when the computer is in BIOS mode. Unplugging the monitor from the PC and unplugging the monitor from the power outlet was the only solution! Now it seems to be fine. My guess is that if you physically switch from one DVI device to another by manually plugging and unplugging (or if you use a DVI switcher), the monitor gets confused. Beware!

Also, 1:1 pixel mapping does not appear to work for 1280x1024 and 1280x960. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the 1st 20WMGX2 that I had could do it, but not this second one! WTH? :)

Also, 1:1 pixel mapping does not appear to work for 1280x1024 and 1280x960. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the 1st 20WMGX2 that I had could do it, but not this second one! WTH? :)

Were you tested with DVI-PC input? If so, correct me if I am wrong, I don't think the DVI-PC input support 1:1 pixel mapping... :rolleyes:

I quote myself. :)

I've only tested this with DVI, in DVI-HD mode.

Naturally, it won't work in DVI-PC mode.

As you can see, it does work in DVI-HD, but with tearing artifacts.

I like this monitor very much. Great color reproduction (I haven't calibrated it yet with my Eye One Pro), great shadow detail.

Other issues: The gamma is 2.2, so it is different from some CRTs and some home theater projectors (like my DLP projector), which often use a gamma 2.5. 2.2 Gamma is perfect for photo-editing and desktop publishing, and also brings out tons of shadow detail in games, but quite a few (most?) movies appear to be mastered for 2.5 gamma. You will see more video noise on these. Complaints about seeing too much video noise when watching movies on LCD monitors is likely because of this gamma difference!

This monitor also serve as a TV - unfortunately, at least with the DVI inputs, video-levels are not supported. Video black is defined as RGB 16,16,16, but unfortunately this appears as gray on the NEC. Workaround is to tell your DVD player to use "Enhanced Black", which stretches the video level range 16-235 to 0-255, giving you nice deep blacks on this monitor. This wouldn't be an issue if the black level control was enabled for DVI. Oh well, you can't have everything. :)

Workaround for PC playback - use the videocard's controls to lower the brightness. Simple!

I've bought NEC 20WGX2 monitor 20 days ago and i am very pleased with everything but one thing. My room is never very bright which is good considering the glossy screen. The problem is blueish or gold/brownish color i get from upper-left or bottom-right corner even when i am sitting at recommended position - 50cm away and eyes in the level of top of the screen. From "diagonal" views the black monitor turns into gold. From top it is gold in sides and black in the middle. Is it the same with yours?

It is not noticable in light room or when viewing at white or coloured images, only dimmed room and dark scene.

I also have Samsung 740T and Samsung 970P at home to compare, but i didn't notice goldish colour from whichever angle i look at them.

I've heard that the gold effect is typical for S-IPS matrixes and i wonder whether this is true.

It annoyes me pretty much since i've read all the best about viewing angles and overall quality of this display. Should i consider returning/replacing it?

Here are photos of what i mean. first row of gallery are Samsungs for comparison. Last photo is edited - increased saturation.

http://ogledalo.si/nec/

wow Lol Aambro that isnt how that screen should look at all. Its just a bad screen you have, in some cases it looks like bad light bleeding but then it has a gold look to it :confused: lol, thats messed up. Take it back and get a exchange so you can see it was just that monitor that was bad...

I can see purple shift on the blacks (that can have a very faint goldish intermediary haze on fringe between black and shifted purple) at an angle that's usually a diagonal (to the side and then up or down) and nothing that I notice with normal use and certainly nothing I notice face on. Your pics make it look like you have lighting issues in the corners. The NEC is usually pretty even. I have no variation at all in dark room with black screen. Here is pic someone else took but mine looks the same. This was at 1/8th and not full second like yours (but still yours shouldn't look the way it does and I would suspect something is wrong offhand)

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8053/nec8th6nr.jpg

Back