New Nikon D90 DSLR Captures 720p HD Video

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
Nikon USA

From article at Pop Photo Website:

By John Owens
August 2008

The DSLR feature race just got tasered into overdrive with the introduction of video in the new Nikon D90. The same technology that serves up live view on the camera’s 3-inch LCD is used to capture movies in formats ranging right up to full-blown 720p high-definition video (1280x 720 pixels) at 24 frames per second.

While video capture has long been part of virtually every compact camera and even many camera phones, DSLR manufacturers typically cited issues such as overheating sensors and clogged digital buffers as reasons why video wouldn’t soon be coming to this category. But now that it’s here, expect others to quickly follow Nikon with miraculous solutions to the technical problems.

At hi-def, the D90’s video capture is limited to 5 minutes. But at lower resolution, its records 25 minutes. Sound is through a monaural mic built into the front of the camera. Exposure adjusts automatically while shooting video, though your aperture must remain constant. You can focus manually and even zoom in and out, using any lens in the Nikkor arsenal.

While the video is fun, the D90’s DSLR heart is the reason a photographer would spend $1,000 (street, body only). A replacement for the well-proven D80, this new camera is geared toward enthusiasts and incorporates aspects from Nikons both up and down the line. Like the more expensive D300, it uses an APS-format (DX in Nikon-speak) CMOS sensor with an effective 12.3 megapixels. And as with other new Nikon DSLRs, it has the EXPEED image-processing engine, along with enough auto white-balance and scene- recognition smarts to qualify for a graduate degree. ISO ranges up to 6400 (using the D300’s test results as a guide, we expect impressive noise control). The viewfinder is glass pentaprism (not less serious mirrors), the shutter has a 100,000-shot life expectancy, and there’s built-in Commander mode for wireless flash. Big-league stuff.
The burst rate is 4.5 frames per second, up from 3 in the D80. While high-end Nikons (D3, D700, and D300) hold AF-point bragging rights at 51, the D90 packs just 11. But a look though the viewfinder shows they’re well placed, and can even spread out for wide-area shots. 3D tracking? Yes, it’s there.

From smaller members of the family comes face detection and all sorts of in-camera whiz-bang, from on-screen retouching to slide shows with music.

The D90 debuted with a new 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR Nikkor. This image-stabilized lens street for $485, but as part of a D90 kit, adds just $300 to the body-only price. Look for more on this camera—as well as videos shot with it—as soon as we get a testable unit.

NEW & NOTEWORTHY
•Hi-def video via live view
•3-inch 920,000-dot LCD
•Brainy about faces and WB
•18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR kit lens

CONSIDER THIS IF…
•You shoot lots of faces
•You’re a serious shooter with a fun side
•You want great stills and wow ‘em videos

only 5 min of hd video eh? Kind of like the PSP, it tries to do way too much.

I would rather buy a used hv20 for $500 or so and a d40.

I plan on buying this as soon as I can sell my D40 and save up the rest.... if only just for the great sensor and low noise/high iso images it puts out.

only 5 min of hd video eh? Kind of like the PSP, it tries to do way too much.

I would rather buy a used hv20 for $500 or so and a d40.

It will shoot 5 minute clips in HD, or up to 20 minute clips in lower resolutions.

You wouldn't buy this camera specifically for shooting video. It's only got mono sound, it's kind of a weird form factor for video, etc. But, for someone who likes to take great pictures, which DSLR owners do, it's nice to be able to shoot small clips... instead of using a crappy cell phone camera or Flip Video.

I can imagine lots of situations where video would be useful. If someone takes a DSLR to Disney, they may shoot 500 pictures. But wouldn't it be cool to grab a couple short clips of a parade or show?

Adding video to the D90 doesn't take anything away from the camera. It's still better than the D80. Nikon isn't trying to replace a camcorder on a tripod for shooting your son's soccer game or school play... it's for shooting clips of things in addition to great pictures.

Im rather disappointed in Nikon for this gimmick. Leave that crap on the P&S cameras. Now if Nikon made a dedicated video camera that would use my AF lenses then Id be all over that. As I see it leave still cameras to photography and, video cameras to movement. I understand they are targeting this at the people who want stupid functions. Which is fine as long as it doenst trickle to the higher end. If they did that I think they would loose alot of Pros and prosumers.

I think its rather clever using the live view sensor for video capture. Personally, I could care less for either feature but I'm sure it will be just the nudge to buy a Nikon SLR for people who are undecided

I understand they are targeting this at the people who want stupid functions. Which is fine as long as it doenst trickle to the higher end. If they did that I think they would loose alot of Pros and prosumers.

Live View was shunned by the professional market... but there are certain situations where it is helpful. As with this video function... you don't have to use it.

Live View was shunned by the professional market... but there are certain situations where it is helpful. As with this video function... you don't have to use it.

Point is I dont even want it included on an slr. Im sure they will keep it off the upper end cameras or, atleast Im hoping so. I have still to yet use live view and, wish I could take it off the firmware. There are more important things they could be adding or, working on. Like getting the sensors/hardware/firmware to work perfectly with each other.

Point is I dont even want it included on an slr... wish I could take it off the firmware. There are more important things they could be adding or, working on.

Did Nikon make the D90 better than the D80, plus add video and live view? I could see a problem if the D90 had all the same specs as the 2 year old D80... but the D90 is an improvement in every way.

Luckily for you, the D80 will be cheap now.

And what if the D3x or D4 gets video too? Of all the pro photographers who shoot with Nikon's high-end cameras... I'm sure many would find it handy to shoot a little bit of video too.

Can't wait to try this thing out. I'm curious to see the limitations of the 720p capture mode.

ugh!!
going to become a jack of all trades master of none!

if i want video - i will buy a video camera!! i guess this is good for the average joe blow.. but to keep the size and parts decent... they are going to have to cut corners somewhere!

I don't understand the logic behind "If it has a 720p mode it must be cutting corners somewhere else!". Could somebody please explain to me why 720p mode is a negative? Don't give me the old "because it doesn't belong on an SLR!" reply because that's not a valid reason; that's just whining about change.

As long as it doesn't affect image quality, build quality, or ergonomics then it's either going to be a positive for somebody who wants it or a negligible difference for somebody that isn't going to use it.

If I am understanding Rage's post properly, the Pentaprism has an output to the liveview sensor which is used as the video sensor. This would seem entirely separate from the "camera" part of the camera, and even with this new liveview thingy, the reviews so far are saying the viewfinder is brighter and bigger than the D80. Really not seeing a reason for people to be so whiny. If you don't want it, don't use it; better yet, don't buy it. Feel free to spend more money on the higher-end nikons, or the midrange canons(with liveview), or if someone wants to buy my D80, they are more than welcome to it, with its ancient sensor and more noise than a 747 taking off from a short runway (comparatively) :p

I think it's pretty cool. Extra features for that market pay off in the long run. I hear that Canon's unannounced DSLR (5D replacement) will have 1080p. RED ONE kinda blew the whistle a little early!

I think it's pretty cool. Extra features for that market pay off in the long run. I hear that Canon's unannounced DSLR (5D replacement) will have 1080p. RED ONE kinda blew the whistle a little early!
Well, it will be interesting to say the least what the Red guys do with this Epic project. I have some pretty large doubts that they will do anything that will even effect the professional end of the spectrum.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19132
‘Jelly Movement’ ★
So DSLRs from Canon and Nikon now shoot video. And Red, the upstart digital video camera company, is planning to start making digital still cameras. Red CEO Jim Jannard claims that it’s easier for Red to move from video to still than for Canon and Nikon to move the other way, and he points to this example footage from a Nikon D90 as proof.
http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr134/jamesmel9/?action=view&current=DSC_0012.flv

Via Daring Fireball

Some of the reviews I have seen says that the video is shaky and not that great. But the video on the 5D mkII are awesome :). Cant wait until I get my preorder in...

Some of the reviews I have seen says that the video is shaky and not that great. But the video on the 5D mkII are awesome :). Cant wait until I get my preorder in...

i have a hard time holding my SLR still enough for a long exposure, i couldent imagine trying to use it for video... most professional/heavy video cameras are meant to be shoulder mounted to make them more steady

pretty cool that Nikon and Canon are including video into their list of features...

Guess it's time to update the stickies then...

"SLR Camera – The most expensive of all digital cameras, digital SLRs offer complete manual control, higher resolution, advanced exposure control, and the benefits of detachable lenses. Due to the lens design, digital SLR's are not capable of shooting video."

Back