New PC for work, Opinions wanted

TGA

Gawd
Ok the PC I use at work is a 1.2 Duron with 256mb of ram, running XP SP2. It is mostly used to connect to web sites so we can run credit checks and activate phones. As well as rip MP3’s from CD and then convert them in to custom ring tones. I also use Word and Excel in combination to generate various reports each day. And every now and then I need to load up Photoshop to resize and tweak logos. I use this system almost exclusively so some of the parts I picked out of personal preference since I am use to using computers that are far more responsive then a 1.2 duron.

Anyway here is a list of the hardware I picked out, I wasn’t given any budget but I know that the more it cost the longer I will have to wait for the upgrade. So the price to performance ratio is very important.

• AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo Retail Box $105
  • ABIT NV8 Socket 754 nForce4-4X ATX Motherboard $76
  • Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-430 430W Power Supply $58 after MIR
  • TwinMOS 512MB PC3200 $42
  • ASUS Geforce 6200TC 128MB $49
  • WD Caviar SE 80GB S-ATA150 Hard Drive $55
  • SONY Black 52x IDE CD-ROM Drive $15

Prices were basically rounded up from newegg and come out to about $400 AR but before shipping.

If you use PS often, you'll want a bit more ram probably. PS really loves to eat ram, that is, unless you're only editing small, low res logos.

Back