New PC shopping: Help a Mom out!

Kyrian

n00b
Here's the scoop: our Dell died & we need a new pc that can handle such games as Guild Wars, Star Wars: KOTOR, Medieval Total War, LOTR Battle for Middle Earth, etc. It's also very likely that some sort of Flight Simulator is on the horizon. We also need hd storage for digital pictures, iTunes music.....and if we could also accomodate Media Center, I'd love it!

I'd prefer NOT to go with either Dell or Gateway.

We don't have to have all the Bells & Whistles(tm) right now - which means a system that
will EASILY handle upgrades, down the road.

I'm a bit leery of Vista right now, from what I've been reading -- but I know it seems likely that more & more games will be utilizing the DirectX-10, so I'd like to be ready for it.

I don't think I'm up to building a system on my own -- and would prefer somebody else
take the heat if something goes wrong!

Of course, my older son has seen the Alienware site & is entranced by the lights and
the shape -- especially since he isn't paying for the new system. And while I've been reading lots of good things about the Velocity Micro, I'm aware that the case may seem a bit, well, bland to him. Would I be able to take the 'guts' out of the VM and put them into a 'flashier' case sometime in the future?

Can you help a frazzled Mom out???

Kyrian

I'd suggest if you want to not build it yourself, read some of the vendor reviews that Kyle and them have done, they are very informative when it comes to the entire process, from order, to build quality to support.

Velocity Micro though, also has a windowed case with some blue lighting, I dont know how crazy your son wants the case to be, but in most cases less is better.

believe it or not, recently eMachines has become a much better company after there change of hands about 2 years ago. You can get some of there systems with flashy cases that are still rather affordable, and there systems are rather upgradeable. Just make sure you get a system with an available PCI-E slot. Try to stick with Intel mainly, but eMachines may only offer up the AMD renditions, which isnt bad at all :) Just not my cup of tea.
If you can get a system with Win XP (Home is fine) and 512mb - 1gig of ram (upgradeable of corse) than your set really. And eMachines are starting to offer deals like Dell did with LCD upgrades and whatnot. So my opinion go with eMachines.

I would recommend that you call a couple of companies: Velocity Micro and AVADirect. Talk with their sales crew. We trust them implicitly here. They will not steer you wrong or upsell you. What they WILL do is configure you exactly what you need. Those two integrators are also very low margin, so don't fret about them being boutiques, ergo, expensive. They also have outstanding support systems and both frequent our forums and listen to customer concerns here.

I would not consider Alienware. They are merely a plastic shell over a very cheap integration. You deserve more than that for your money.

go with the velocity micro gamers edge 1500 if youre looking to spend about 1500 :) if you want flashier, just make it blue, and add the window lmao

if youre looking at spending more than that, post up a budget and ill build you something up on VM's site :) IMO, theyre the most reliable boutique builder here. and theyre CEO and tech support people frequent the boards (Ello Heather and Randy :p )

Yes, definately VM or AVADirect being the best prebuilts around these parts.

Don't get an Alienware for the flashy lights and stuff, you'll be being hundreds more just for that.

As much as you guys knock Dell, their newer models have been rock solid for me.

$700-$800 for a Dimension 9200 with a 1-year onsite warranty.

$130 for a Radeon X1900GT from Newegg.

5 minutes to remove the side panel, plug in a PCI-E video card and PCI-E power cable.

Presto. The build quality of their 9200 is top-notch, they are incredibly silent, and as I mentioned before...1 year on-site warranty standard (which means if anything goes wrong within the next year, a technician will come to your home the next business day and fix the issue). The smaller system builders can't offer that kind of service period.

Dimension 9200 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo/2GB/160GB/DVDRW and a 20" Widescreen LCD for under $1000. Their AMD-based E521 has been even less; around $650 for the same configuration with a 19" LCD.

I vote for Dell also.....you cant beat the price and for a pre-built, the quality really is not bad at all....

We have several Dells at work that we flog daily and they never miss a beat..they have been running 24/7 in a less than desirable environment for over 2 years
just my .02

Just another quick comment: your son isn't paying for it, so I wouldn't give a second thought to buying a flashy (read: TACKY) system. The on-screen action is going to be exactly the same regardless of how much molded plastic, blue LEDs and colored fans are in the chassis.

Two issues with Dell, and I'm not flaming here... but, the OP specifically stated that they do not want a Dell, and they need an easily upgradeable machine. Well, the second one is a little weak, I guess...

I agree with 0mega, if your looking at Velocity Micro, the Gamers Edge 1500 is a really nice machine, and those around here that have bought one seem to be very happy, particularly with VM's customer support.

But, just for fun, you might want to take a peek at a few of Dell's newer offerings.. their new chassis designs are pretty impressive. Really well ventilated and quiet.

I would think Dell's tool-less, well designed chassis would allow for easy upgrades. They have an industry standard 4 DIMM slots for memory upgrades, room for another hard drive, another optical drive, as well as PCI/PCI-E slots for peripheral cards and graphics cards.

As for the OP stating they don't want a Dell...they never explained why. I've intimately used various Dell laptops and desktops for almost 5 years now, and I can honestly say their current line is rock solid, and a vast improvement from past models.

Budget?

Avadirect can jazz things up pretty well given the customization options. VM makes nice builds and there's room to work in them.

Here's an example of the Antec case.

# INTEL, Core™ 2 Duo E6400 Dual-Core, 2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache, 65nm, 65W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail
# SERVICE, Overclock This Rig
# ASUS, P5N-E SLI, LGA775, nForce 650i SLI, 1066MHz FSB, DDR2-800 8GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI /2, SATA RAID 5 /5, HDA, GbLAN, FW /2, ATX, Retail
# CORSAIR, 2GB (2 x 1GB) XMS2 PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL5 (5-5-5-12) SDRAM 240-pin DIMM, Non-ECC
# eVGA, e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 576MHz, 320MB DDR3 1700MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI, HDTV/S-Video Out, Retail
# WESTERN DIGITAL, 320GB WD Caviar® SE16, SATA II 300MB/s, 7200-RPM, 16MB cache
# WESTERN DIGITAL, 500GB WD Caviar® SE16 (WD5000AAKS), SATA II 300MB/s, 7200-RPM, 16MB cache
# RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
# MITSUMI, Black Internal 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
# SONY, DDU1615/B2S Black 16x DVD-ROM Drive, IDE, OEM
# LITE-ON, LH-20A1H Black/White 20x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ LightScribe, EIDE/ATAPI, Retail
# ANTEC, Nine Hundred Black Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU
# CORSAIR, HX Series 620W Modular Power Supply, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, Triple +12V, Multi-GPU Ready
# CUSTOM WIRING, Standard Wiring with Round Cables
# LOGISYS, Dual Cold Cathode Case Lights Kit, Blue
# CASE FAN, LED Fans Maximum Package, Blue
# MICROSOFT, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32-bit, OEM
# GAMING PC, Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)
# SERVICE, Standard Shipping (UPS, DHL, or Fedex)
$1800 or so - lower probably after next month's price drops

Thanks, everyone -- HUGE appreciation for all of your input!

Re: Dell --- apart from the fact that our old DEAD pc was a Dell
[and I'm harboring great resentment towards them at this moment],
my understanding of Dell systems was that they were not upgrade
friendly -- something about the components they use being specifically
designed to fit in their cases? I thought that would prohibit buying memory,
etc. from someplace like Newegg & just popping it in.....am I mistaken?
If so, I might reconsider.

Re: Alienware --- coolness factor aside......I guess I have to concur
with the general feeling of 'NOT AW'. I don't know a huge amount about
computers, but when I see things like charging more for the Logitech
gaming keyboard and mouse than Amazon.com does....gives me pause!

Re: waiting for next month's price drops ---- my sons would probably DIE
if I put this off much longer. This has been dragging on since before
Christmas!

I am now off to configure on both Velocity & AVADirects' sites.

Thanks!!!

Kyrian

Well theres an old dell (4600c) in the other room of the house and you can add in more memory, change harddrives, and also the graphic card. But if you have the money go with Velocity Micro or AVADirect have heard very good things about them on this forum.

I am now off to configure on both Velocity & AVADirects' sites.

Thanks!!!

Kyrian

You're quite welcome.

Again, I would suggest that you CALL those companies and talk to the sales staff. If you're not all that familiar with computer hardware, as I said, you can trust those folks. Every person on these boards who have bought from them will attest to that.

Budget?

Avadirect can jazz things up pretty well given the customization options. VM makes nice builds and there's room to work in them.

# RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

# MICROSOFT, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32-bit, OEM

Ok - why not the RAID?

And...Vista? I keep reading that Vista + Gaming = Problems.

Thanks!

Kyrian

Well theres an old dell (4600c) in the other room of the house and you can add in more memory, change harddrives, and also the graphic card. But if you have the money go with Velocity Micro or AVADirect have heard very good things about them on this forum.

Hmmm....maybe I'll play Dr. Frankenstein with the Dead Dell!

And I noticed the PSP in your sig --- I *love* my PSP!!

Kyrian

Hmmm....maybe I'll play Dr. Frankenstein with the Dead Dell!

And I noticed the PSP in your sig --- I *love* my PSP!!

Kyrian

So do I hehe. Well if the dell you have is really old, probibly you should buy a new one from velocity or AVA since it will come with warrenties. Well its your money and your choise ;)

I'm seeing a Gaming Cube on the AVADirect site -- I don't recall reading
anything (pro OR con) about these --- any comments?

Kyrian The Pest

Kyrian,

I cannot agee more with Jason_Wall.. CALL AVAdirect and talk about what you need and want in a computer. Misha is the best and when I ordered my computer he actually talked me out of pricey upgrades I didnt really need and steered me to things I really did need. I played a bit dumb when talking to him and he was spot on and knew his stuff. Ended up getting a better computer out of the deal that way.

I did have a few issues with my computer and had to send it back to them to make it right BUT and I cant stress this enough they DID make it right. Misha and company didnt make me argue with them for hours about fixing things and they even were the first to offer me compensation for my inconvienence. They have always been very professional in all my dealings with them and very patient and knowledgeable.

Chris one of their techs(only tech I have talked to there so I cant say they all are or arent like Chris) actually knows what hes doing and didnt make me feel like I was dealing with a guy running off a script. I told him upfront I had a fairly good troubleshooting background and he treated me as someone that knew what I was doing. He still asked the basics but when I said I did those things he passed right on to the more esoteric issues.

EVERY time I got in contact with AVAdirect I was always given a call back within the hour and I mean every time. Most times it was in less than 10 mins and very often I got straight through to them.

As far as the gaming cube goes I would probalby not suggest that type case since you seem to be interested in upgradability in the future. Those cases tend to be space limited and sometimes harder to get into the guts of things.

In the end I would wholeheartdly recommend AVAdirect even with the issues I had. They made it all right in the end and were VERY willing to do whatever it took to make me happy. Anyone can slap parts together and make a machine its the service and support that really matters and AVAdirect is fantastic in that regard.

Kyrian,

I cannot agee more with Jason_Wall.. CALL AVAdirect and talk about what you need and want in a computer.

As far as the gaming cube goes I would probalby not suggest that type case since you seem to be interested in upgradability in the future. Those cases tend to be space limited and sometimes harder to get into the guts of things.

In the end I would wholeheartdly recommend AVAdirect even with the issues I had. They made it all right in the end and were VERY willing to do whatever it took to make me happy. Anyone can slap parts together and make a machine its the service and support that really matters and AVAdirect is fantastic in that regard.

Oh, geeeeeez -- I *hate* talking on the phone!

Thanks for the input on the gaming cube -- that takes it right off the table.

And I appreciate your comments about AVAdirect -- and kudos to them for making it
right!

Thanks!

Kyrian

Me too... bad phone voice, I guess.

You could email them instead. Or if you can't find an address on the site, just call them, tell them you're not much of a phone person, and ask them for an email of someone who can help you choose a config. :)

Thanks for the input on the gaming cube -- that takes it right off the table.

And I appreciate your comments about AVAdirect -- and kudos to them for making it
right!

Thanks!

Kyrian

i hate the fact that this may sound a little rude, but you sound like you dont know a great deal about computers, so AVA might not be such a great route for you. AVA offers rediculous amounts of options for parts, it can get a bit crazy :p where as VM has a much more limited scope. both companies will do you no harm, and worst case scenario, make it right ASAP. but out of sheer convenience, VM will be quicker and easier to work with, where as AVA you can get a tiny bit more for your money, but itll take a while to figure out what you are getting :p

Not for nothin', but if I was about to drop a good bit of cash on a computer system, I'd see if I could get past my phobia to make sure that I'm making a good investment. *shrug*

I hate the phone too. I prefer email, and find that the questions I want answered are better put into written form personally. Email is fire and forget. Phones are *so* Alexander G. Bell.

Kyrian- I've had very good experiences with CyberPower. To cut the costs and put attractive 3 digit prices on the front page, they sometimes are stingy with the video cards. Make sure you know what you're getting; their systems are upgradeable in all sorts of ways.

Kyrian- I've had very good experiences with CyberPower. To cut the costs and put attractive 3 digit prices on the front page, they sometimes are stingy with the video cards. Make sure you know what you're getting; their systems are upgradeable in all sorts of ways.

That site is pretty cluttered and confusing, first time I've ever looked at it.

i hate the fact that this may sound a little rude, but you sound like you dont know a great deal about computers, so AVA might not be such a great route for you. AVA offers rediculous amounts of options for parts, it can get a bit crazy :p where as VM has a much more limited scope. both companies will do you no harm, and worst case scenario, make it right ASAP. but out of sheer convenience, VM will be quicker and easier to work with, where as AVA you can get a tiny bit more for your money, but itll take a while to figure out what you are getting :p

I thought it would have been obvious from my very first post that I don't
know a great deal about computers!! I know just enough to get myself
into trouble....but I do know a lot more than when this whole process
started.

And I have noticed that some sites (such as AVA) have a lot more
selection -- which can be very confusing and intimidating. Then I
try to research as much as possible -- which also gets very confusing
and intimidating.

I know, I know -- I should just go ahead & call both AVA and VM.

Kyrian

Me too... bad phone voice, I guess.

You could email them instead. Or if you can't find an address on the site, just call them, tell them you're not much of a phone person, and ask them for an email of someone who can help you choose a config. :)

Guess what -- when you finish the configuring & click the 'email it
to me' button, they give you the option of (a) having somebody call
you (b) having somebody email you or (c) YOU contacting THEM
when you're ready to buy!

I like that!

Kyrian

Guess what -- when you finish the configuring & click the 'email it
to me' button, they give you the option of (a) having somebody call
you (b) having somebody email you or (c) YOU contacting THEM
when you're ready to buy!

I like that!

Kyrian

I should have mentioned: this was the VM site.

Kyrian

Well, I can offer some parts for you if you want an entertainment PC, vista, good for gaming, ect ect...

Intel P965 motherboard (gigabyte makes good ones, I like the p965-DS3)
Intel e6300 (or higher, if you so prefer)
ATI 1950Pro (you can get an 8800gts 320mb version if its in your budget)
2 gigs of any DDR2 800MHZ ram
An aftermarket cooler would be nice to keep it quiet, like a Scythe infinity
500 Gig hard drive for all the movies you would want to put on it
DVD drive/CD Drive

For a case, the Antec p180 is really sleek looking, not tacky at all, a definate favorite for people at these forums.

Uh, Windows Vista 32 bit premium home edition
A soundcard, like an Audigy or something similar

You know, that about covers it.

I'd call Avadirect/Velocity Micro and talk to them though, they can configure the PC exactly to your budget and your needs, make it, and then ship it!

You can also feel free to post a proposed config to get any additional feedback from the peanut gallery. There are a ton of options at AVAdirect, for example, but once you've narrowed down what you want to do with the machine it isn't too hard to get something picked out that will help meet those goals. VM also has some good options.

Misha's very good on the phone. If you can be on the internet while you talk with him on the phone, he may walk you through some configurations. He's very patient and knowledgeable, but he isn't looking to keep you on the phone forever.

Don't be shy about posting questions if you have any.

Unless you really hate Dell I would get a Dell. If not build one yourself. While Dell has its kinks the customer support is generally decent. If you got a problem they ship you the parts or have someone come fix it for you (depending on the warranty of course). While I generally dont like Dell technicians (dont EVER have them fix ultraportables), for some minor installation they are fine. Also Dells uses alot of standard parts now so upgradeability is not a problem.

I cant say the same with Gateway. Gateway's support is like way below Dell's.

I don't know on that one. Every time i call dell to get product and tech info for work. I get achmed so to speak. Every time i call gateway i get bill gates the whites person on the planet so to speak.

Back