New Project - Low Profile HTPC/Gamer

RavenZero

Limp Gawd
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just getting back into the feeling for an sff machine, but now for home theater and living room use. My goal is to build a low profile htpc that is quiet, cool and powerful. I know that it may be hard to do, but I'd really like to see how far I can take this.

I've been especially taken with the beauty and external simplicity of a couple of cases lately such as the Silverstone SST-LC04 (in black) and it's possible potential for modification. There are some other really nice looking cases that I've come across such as the GMC AVC-S7 and the HMC-2K53A from Hiper. These may be a bit too low profile, but they look great!

Here's my wish list (though not set in stone and including some optional possibilities):

Not more than 4.5 inches/115mm in height and 17 inche/432mm wide (I want it to match sizing with my other home theater gear like a Panasonic receiver)
Possibly able to accept a full or micro ATX motherboard
Able to accept at least one 3.5" hard drive
Able to accept a full sized DVD ROM -- though I'll deal with a slimline if necessary
Preferably capable of utilizing 2 PCI/PCI-E riser cards (full height)
At least the capability to modify for a 400W or higher PSU (even if a 1U can be shoehorned in there...) -- this is mainly because of a desire for hardcore graphics. If another, viable solution can be found that allows for a lower output PSU, I'm all for it...
Adequate room for airflow and/or watercooling gear as an option -- I would be open to using an external watercooling setup if absolutely necessary (maybe in a matching, slimmer enclosure)
I'd like to have the option/ability to overclock the processor
I'd like to have a VFD too, but not dead set on it

I'm open to all suggestions that fall along these lines. I'm not at all opposed to using mini-ITX or flex-ATX based stuff or notebook processors either, as long as they are dual core and have the ability for me to add a powerful graphics solution such as an 8xxx nVidia card or an ATI x19xx or a newer DX10 solution as they are released. I'd like to have the option for 2 risers because I'd like to be able to add a discrete sound card as well as discrete graphics. If there are ITX or other sff type boards that can accept notebook, MXM styled graphics cards, I'd be open to that as well--if they are available in high end offerings.

I know that this is a tall order, but as a former owner of 2 SN45 class Shuttle sffs, I know that a lot can be done in a small space if you have the will and the available hardware...;)

As an example, I think that I might be able to mod an LC-04 case with a 1U, 400W PSU and use my current DS3 motherboard, e6300, 250g hd, dvd burner with a Leadtek 7900gs (I currently have an x1950pro, but good, quiet cooling for it takes 2 slots...) and either an X-Fi or an Oxygen HD based sound card. I could even mod the lower front panel to accept my Thermaltake VFD with IR unit. I obviously haven't decided to try this yet, so I'm looking still for alternatives and suggestions. As you can see from my wishlist, I'm looking for flexibility in my upgrade path, with options to use serious graphics and sound for hardcore gaming, but I still want to fit it into a little tiny space...:D

Thanks!

Ya, as I mentioned already the LC-04 in the original post. Thanks. The LC11 isn't to my tastes for a couple of reasons, but I do like other Silverstone designs.

Back