New Q6600 gameplay benchmark,

Spoudazo

Gawd
http://www.thattechsite.com/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=141

:)

Hopefully the multi-core patch will be released for the Source engine close to the release of the "Orange Box" :)
quadTF2JPEG.jpg

quadLPjpg.jpg

dont see what multi core usage will do for source games. Runs flawlessly now in 1920x1200 with max everything 16xaa and 16x af

thanks i just made a post about quad core gaming performance, this is a good link to add to my post

dont see what multi core usage will do for source games. Runs flawlessly now in 1920x1200 with max everything 16xaa and 16x af

Litle,but for future Source engine based games,of which there will be many,it'll do wonders ! :)

Also, imagine if Garry's Mod was updated with a multi-core patch, so that you can pile EVEN MORE STUFF on a map. :D

Why do people obsess over CPU performance in games, its all about the GPU in the now and the future. Granted the CPU does play a part but it really boils down to GPU performance for the majority of what matters.

Ummm, nope. Every frame the GPU renders the CPU has to process. Slow CPUs are what cause frame-rate dips, etc.

That's why going from a 3800x2 to a e6400 is a good improvement if you have a highend GPU, etc.

Ummm, nope. Every frame the GPU renders the CPU has to process. Slow CPUs are what cause frame-rate dips, etc.

That's why going from a 3800x2 to a e6400 is a good improvement if you have a highend GPU, etc.

Your CPU doesnt process the frame, it just moves it on the next point in the operation. CPUs are getting to the point of being just I/O processors.

The point I am making is that if your already have a fast dual-core processor, adding 2 more cores is not gonna do much for the big picture. Because I was saying that most of the real computational work thats needed for gaming, is almost completely offloaded to the GPU(s). So enabling or adding multi-threaded enhancements to a game engine isnt gonna magically release loads of power.

Your CPU doesnt process the frame, it just moves it on the next point in the operation. CPUs are getting to the point of being just I/O processors.

The point I am making is that if your already have a fast dual-core processor, adding 2 more cores is not gonna do much for the big picture. Because I was saying that most of the real computational work thats needed for gaming, is almost completely offloaded to the GPU(s). So enabling or adding multi-threaded enhancements to a game engine isnt gonna magically release loads of power.
it clearly makes a huge improvement in Lost Planet. also there are plenty of Source engine tests showing a massive improvement with quad over dual.

He is right really. Go look at some graphs

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/07/25/overclocking_intel_core_2_quad_q6600/7

the difference from a E6600 and a XQ6850 is fairly minimal. At high resolution.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/07/25/overclocking_intel_core_2_quad_q6600/6

Same thing here.

Medal of Honor: Airborne also shows a great improvement, as well as Roboblitz. I'm speaking from personal experience here, not from an article someone posted some time ago.

Quad-core is catching on, thankfully quicker than dual-core caught on. :)

Bring on the dual processor MB's! (that actually work with all software, heh)

Huh ? You mean dual socket motherboards right ?

I know playing Bioshock (smoothly) maxxed @ 19x12 + 2x AA and 4x AF,with 5 torrents running in the background on BT 0.89,while also folding is something you'd be damned hard pressed to do on a dual core,and still maintain good performance. :D

Huh ? You mean dual socket motherboards right ?

I know playing Bioshock (smoothly) maxxed @ 19x12 + 2x AA and 4x AF,with 5 torrents running in the background on BT 0.89,while also folding is something you'd be damned hard pressed to do on a dual core,and still maintain good performance. :D

Yep, dual sockets that are affordable, and work. Doesn't seem like it'd be much more complicated than SLI video to me. But then again, I'm me! ..... Just seems like they are spoon-feeding us processing power.

look at the Lost Planet results. it takes a dual core at 3.85 to match a quad core at just 2.4.
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_8.html#sect0

when going from dual to quad core for Source multithread performance is DOUBLED
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2868&p=9

That Lost Planet test was at 1024x768.

If you run Lost Planet at *real* resolutions the quad core won't have any advantage, except for any help the extra shared CPU cache brings.

The second link is a physics test isn't it? Well games aren't lmited by the computers physics processing but by the graphics throughput (shaders etc.) so again this doesn't really show anything for current or future games. Unless in the future software is designed to use the CPU to process graphics also (sounds unlikely due to the complexity of GPU's, but maybe AMD/ATI will do somethng in that area?)

Not all games are FPSs. Strat games, simulations, anything that has a lot of physics and/or AI going on in the background could greatly benefit from multicore. Galactic Civilizations II has a setting to enable enhanced AI if you've got the cpu cycles to spare.

Umm, those tests above of Lost Planet were run at a higher rez.

Some of you nay-sayers are reminding me of '05 when everyone was thinking that buying a dual-core CPU was silly.

Umm, those tests above of Lost Planet were run at a higher rez.

Some of you nay-sayers are reminding me of '05 when everyone was thinking that buying a dual-core CPU was silly.

man , it says right on the screenshot what resolution it was done at, and it's 1024x768

Back