new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vids

SMP 3.0 isn't going to do jack for STALKER.

Geometry instancing is what will improve FPS in games like Far Cry, with tons of similar grass/foliage or whatnot -- and Geometry Instancing is available on almost every 3D accelerator now, thanks to updated drivers.

What is it with you guys? SM.S. 3.0 is for our benefit, and it's a good thing. Lets just purchase the games we like and enjoy.

I didnt see anything special about the AI video, however the graphics are awesome on the other video

there are four videos all together, which can be had here: http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=5141 neatl;y packaged in a zip file. stalker is getting lost in all of the hl2 and d3 hype, so i havent followed it at all. i downloaded these videos to check it out and man oh man it has made it to my buy list. very impressive.

i3lacKnyte said:
stalker is getting lost in all of the hl2 and d3 hype

I would agree, even though I'm excited about Doom 3 as well. However this game looks very awesome indeed. Love the environment and setting, definitely on my to buy list as well. Those vids make me wish it wasn't so far away.

Emret said:
I didnt see anything special about the AI video, however the graphics are awesome on the other video

I agree with you on that one...im not saying it was bad or anything...it just didnt WOW me like lets say FarCry did :eek:

aside from that though, the game looked awsome, and i will most certinaly be picking it up once it hits shelves :D

yeah while i was watching the vids about gameplay and storyline i was thinking that this will be a nice change from hl2 and doom 3 because we have all played the previous versions and have a good idea of how these games are going to be. im not watching anything else about stalker from now on. when i finally sit down with the game i want to be pleasantly surprised as i am playing because i didnt spoil anything for myself.

Tower said:
SMP 3.0 isn't going to do jack for STALKER.

Geometry instancing is what will improve FPS in games like Far Cry, with tons of similar grass/foliage or whatnot -- and Geometry Instancing is available on almost every 3D accelerator now, thanks to updated drivers.
dunno what SMP3.0 is, and i dunno what your talking about. SM3.0 has Geometry instancing. the 6800's are the only gaming cards i know with SM3.0

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2102&p=2

As for VS3.0, instancing is implemented when rendering grass. Instancing helps to reduce CPU and bus overhead by allowing the engine to send one model to the vertex shader where multiple "instances" of the object are manipulated and moved about the scene as necessary. With all the grass in FarCry, it's easy to see how this could be beneficial.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winhec/partners/shadermodel30_NVIDIA.mspx
Instancing support
Shader Model 2.0: No
Shader Model 3.0: Required

im betting SM3.0 will do a bit for stalker. how much, we will just have to wait and see.

..looking forward to yet another release ...

yay for forward looking ... :)

Back