New SG-01 CPU Cooler reviewed @ SFFTech

Welp, did mine as well over the weekend. Replaced the Zalman 7700 with the NT06. Idle temps are the same 42-44c idle, and load is 3c higher at 56c. No complaints. This thing doesn't have a fan on it as I am using the 120mm fan from the PSU to pull the air over the socket. And the noisiest component in the setup is the GPU heatsink. Might be time to look at aftermarket coolers for the 7900GTX.

Overall thought, I am quite impressed. I knew the load temps would spool a little higher, and it is well within the chip's limit for load so I can hang with the "no noise" aspect of the cooler. In the Siverstone case its a perfect fit. There is about 1/16" space between the top of the fins of the heatsink and the bottom of the Power Supply. I'll have to snap some pic's so you guys can see the setup.

-E

Maybe you should try modding an Arctic Silencer. Good for a temperature drop in the case!

do you think it would work also with pentium D805 ??
and could I use Thermalright XP-90??, it should be better then xp-120, because it is taller (xp-90 is 75mm) and maybe mount small cooler on the side of case to blow on this heatsink??

The crossflow fan won't work with the nt06. The nt06 is too big and takes up a lot of space behind the case. I don't know if I'm going to stay with the nt06. 66c is a little too hot for me. I might watercool but I'm not too sure since this is only a temp case for the case I'm modding meanwhile. I'm going to see if I can replace the fan in my psu so it sucks in more air. The fan on the ultra x connect doesn't pull much air. Another reason for my temps might be the tiny 80mm fan on the psu. I'm going to see what psu sfftech used for their review and see if I can get temps like them.

No it doesn't. I think that's why my temps are like that. I'm going to try and buy a psu with a 120mm fan and see if it makes a difference. I read in the review they used an antec truepower 430w. It looks like that psu only has a 92mm fan.

Now I understand why your temperatures are so high ;) And indeed, the "tape mod" doesn't work for you then. The PSU used in the test "only" has a 92mm fan but it sucks air through the heatsink and that's enough. Just make sure if you use a PSU with 120mm fan that the fan moves enough air or else the PSU may heat up to much. The fan in many PSU's is temperature controlled so that's OK but some PSU regulate the fan speed according to the load of the PSU. I hope you understand what I mean ;) I think it's not a good idea to control the fan speed by load of the PSU because in this setup temperature is more important. Just my 2 cents.

Mine is setup with the 120mm fan on the PSU, and the spacing is very close for the heatsink/PSU. So far it works like a champ. I plan on playing some BF2 Friday night to see how hot it gets after 3 hours of load, but so far this setup is working well.

-E

hey MrE do you have any pics of your system? the specs you have in your sig are right close to what im lookin to build in a little bit here.. just want to see how it all fits with the fatality and all

No, no pictures as of yet. I will snap a couple this weekend and host. I took my system apart the other night cause I wasn't happy with the wire job I did the first time. Its nice and clean now so I got rid of the incriminating (messy) evidence. :)

As far as the Fatality fitting, its just a re-badged 7700 with an LED correct? If so, then yes, it will fit as I had a Zalman 7700 before repacing it with the new heatsink.

-E

not the fatality heatsink.. the xfi card and front bay is what i was talking about..

Ah, yes, no problems there. I have the X-FI Fatal1ty drive bay installed without issue. the ribbon cable is more than long enough to fit.

-E

Well guys I decided to expreiment a little bit. I wanted to see if that 80mm fan on the psu was the reason for my high temps. It somewhat is. I took out my psu and put it on the table and installed that 120mm fan on the NT06. It actually dropped my temps 6c. Load temps only hit 60c. Here are some pics because everyone likes pics. :)

I also found out why this cooler costs so much. Its the packaging. Its very nice. Its probably $15 of the $60 I paid. :eek: It even comes with a handle. For what? I dont know. Maybe if you want to take out the hsf and take it to lan parties. :D
IMG_1876.jpg

Pic of the crossflow fan I used. Its not the SS branded one but its the same thing.
IMG_1882.jpg

Pic of the cooler installed.
IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

No room for the crossflow fan.
IMG_1892.jpg

My little experiment
IMG_1910.jpg

After this experiment I decided to buy an inexpensive psu that has a 120mm fan. I need it to be inexpensive since this case is just a placeholder while I mod my other case that will house the components.

What do you guys think of this psu? The Silverstone ST405. Its only $50.
http://www.sundialmicro.com/SilverStone-Power-4000Watt-sstst405_1723_590.html

That PSU would work.

Couldn't the cross flow fan also be mounted on the outside of the case?
It's in an ideal location to pull air across the NT06 heatsink.

I'm itching to get one of these.

What cpu are folks using with it?
Venice or San Diego core?

That crossflow fan is open on two sides to suck air in and exhaust it out. So if you mount it outside you'll have one side facing outside the case which won't work.

Another idea I had was to get a slim 120mm fan and mount it underneath the hs and so I would have two 120mm fans on it. I'm going to try and look around for a thinner fan than the one it came with.

I'm cooling an FX60 btw.

Blur2u said:
I wonder if you can mount the fan on the underside of the NT06 heatsink blowing up? If you can find a thin (15mm depth) 120mm fan that fits on the underside and have it blowing up into the power supply fan. I wonder if that works...hmmm..might have to look into that..

Hellou

I wonder the same and I do It.
I have NT 06 one week. I used it in cases Silverstone TJ 08 and SG01 Black(not Evolution model).

1. Nitrogon NT06.
The building quality of this cooler is amazing. Instaling of fan is easy and you can use all 4 position of the cooler on your motherboard. The passive I have nothing wrong to say about. The cooler Is realy powerfull 32mm width - but: It is enormous load fan. Only the lowest speed is accetable, but hardly ideal.

So I Install this passive without fan on my board ( MSI RS482M4-ILD/SB450 ).
My Components:
CPU Athalon X2 3800+
2 x 1Gb DDR400 CL3 Ram
VGA Ati Fire GL 5100
2 x HDD WD 160Gb S-ATA RE+, 80 GB Segate S-ATA II.
Case SG01 Black
Cooling - One 80 mm fan blue Artic Cooling (adjustable speed 1500,2000,2500)
One 60 mm fan Silverstone
Zalman Fan regulator (For 6 fans in gerneral),
Optical Drive DVD-RW HP with LightScribe (Its LG OEM Product)

The gap in NT06 Passive is about 25mm so 12cm fan i can not use. But 920 mm Zalman fan )25mm width) fit well.

Power Silverstone Strider ST60 (Modular cable - normal length) with 12cm fan.
Results.

Fan speeds:

80mm AC 1500 rpm
60mm Silv. 1400 rpm
92mm Zalm. 1400 rpm
12 cm fan (power) ? Probably +/- 2000 rpm

Temperatures

CPU ideal 32 degrees of C
CHipset ideal 35 degrees of C

CPU burn 38 - 40 degrees of C
CHipset burn 40 +/- 2 Degrees of C

Konias said:
Hellou

I wonder the same and I do It.
I have NT 06 one week. I used it in cases Silverstone TJ 08 and SG01 Black(not Evolution model).

1. Nitrogon NT06.
The building quality of this cooler is amazing. Instaling of fan is easy and you can use all 4 position of the cooler on your motherboard. The passive I have nothing wrong to say about. The cooler Is realy powerfull 32mm width - but: It is enormous load fan. Only the lowest speed is accetable, but hardly ideal.

So I Install this passive without fan on my board ( MSI RS482M4-ILD/SB450 ).
My Components:
CPU Athalon X2 3800+
2 x 1Gb DDR400 CL3 Ram
VGA Ati Fire GL 5100
2 x HDD WD 160Gb S-ATA RE+, 80 GB Segate S-ATA II.
Case SG01 Black
Cooling - One 80 mm fan blue Artic Cooling (adjustable speed 1500,2000,2500)
One 60 mm fan Silverstone
Zalman Fan regulator (For 6 fans in gerneral),
Optical Drive DVD-RW HP with LightScribe (Its LG OEM Product)

The gap in NT06 Passive is about 25mm so 12cm fan i can not use. But 920 mm Zalman fan )25mm width) fit well.

Power Silverstone Strider ST60 (Modular cable - normal length) with 12cm fan.
Results.

Fan speeds:

80mm AC 1500 rpm
60mm Silv. 1400 rpm
92mm Zalm. 1400 rpm
12 cm fan (power) ? Probably +/- 2000 rpm

Temperatures

CPU ideal 32 degrees of C
CHipset ideal 35 degrees of C

CPU burn 38 - 40 degrees of C
CHipset burn 40 +/- 2 Degrees of C

I Tried change Silverstone power supply to My older Nexus 350W (20 pin conector to mobo). It warks and so I chack some data.
The NOISE:
Machine is now almoust silent. Only the HDD make some noise.
Temperature rise up. About +/- 5 degrees of C each.

So i should changfe the fan in my strider powersupply.

Well looks like I'm done with this cooler. No longer needed. I'm going to have it for sale pretty soon on the forums but I thought I'd give you guys first dibs. I'm gonna sel it for $50 + $5 shipping. Lmk if you guys are interested. Heatware is under fanatik.

Back