New Silverstone FT02

Is there a silverstone rep on this forum? If so, what gives?

I think the better question to ask is who do YOU think you can contact for help? Do you think it's better to ask your question here or go directly to the source and make your suggestion and/or complaint to the company itself? I'll let you answer that one on your own.

In the meantime here's Silverstone Tek's contact number: # 909-465-9596 - ask for Joel - he's the head tech over there and would know how to help you on this situation. Heck, he'll probably even ship you the screws for nothing if it's a mistake on their part, so you can go back to believing "...that it's more glorious than you could've possibly imagined..."

I'll end it here with your initial comment's closing remark,

That is all... ;)

I think the better question to ask is who do YOU think you can contact for help? Do you think it's better to ask your question here or go directly to the source and make your suggestion and/or complaint to the company itself? I'll let you answer that one on your own.

In the meantime here's Silverstone Tek's contact number: # 909-465-9596 - ask for Joel - he's the head tech over there and would know how to help you on this situation. Heck, he'll probably even ship you the screws for nothing if it's a mistake on their part, so you can go back to believing "...that it's more glorious than you could've possibly imagined..."

I'll end it here with your initial comment's closing remark,

That is all... ;)

Don't get me wrong, this is easily the best constructed case I've ever owned. Given the quality of the rest of the case, the oversights I mention surprised me. Thanks for the contact number.

Does anybody have any experience with putting a 3x5.25 SATA hot-swap bay in one of these cases? I'm really on the fence about buying a FT02 but unsure if a 8 or 9" deep bay is going to clear the motherboard.

I just measured it and even using 8 inches, that is join to very tight; especially with a full sized ATX Mobo. Personally I wouldn't do it. I would just use the existing hot swap bay that comes with the unit. The only "inconvenient" thing you have to do is take off the case door to exchange HD's... It's no big deal really. I do it all the time...

How are the 180mm case fans powered in the FT02 (secondarily I'm curious also about the the 120mm)? Are they connected to the PSU via molex?

I'm using Air Penetrators in my scratchbuild but currently have them plugged in headers on the mainboard (for rotation rate reporting). I'm not sure drawing so much power from there is a good idea. Can I power them directly and still get rotation rate reporting?

How are the 180mm case fans powered in the FT02 (secondarily I'm curious also about the the 120mm)? Are they connected to the PSU via molex?

I'm using Air Penetrators in my scratchbuild but currently have them plugged in headers on the mainboard (for rotation rate reporting). I'm not sure drawing so much power from there is a good idea. Can I power them directly and still get rotation rate reporting?

There's a 4pin molex triple-parallel adapter included. Basically you take the three bottom fans, plug them into the adapter and then plug the adapter into a 4pin molex connector from your PSU.

If you want to get a tach signal you'll need to either 1) continue what you're doing and use mobo headers or 2) plug them into a fan controller (what I used to do). I made my own 3-pin triple adapter and plugged all the 180mm fans to one of my Lamptron fan controller's channels.

I would go with a Corsair H80 over the Noctua NH-D14. It will allow for a cleaner install without having a large heatsink taking up a lot of room and it's easier to take on and off the CPU when upgrading.

Im in the same boat right now looking at the NH-D14 and would love to try that H80 but never done w/c before and wouldnt know how to begin. Grrr something new to think about now.

Edit: scratch that, going Antec KUHLER H2O 920 now I think...

Last edited:
I do have a question regarding the Windowed vs non windowed versions. Would the non window version be quieter due to the panel having the extra sound dampening material on it? I kind of want the window version but based on how my desk and everything is setup, the window part would be out of site. Just not sure if there is an advantage to one over the other.

I've had my Silverstone FT02 Black for a while now, ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! The dust filters are amazing too, they work really well and are so easy to clean... best case I've ever had by far. This topic also convinced me to buy one :)

Just one question: I'd like a nice fan controller (rather than the switches at top for the bottom fans) so I can seamlessly control the speed of the three bottom fans and the top one. I've been looking around a bit and because of the relatively heavy wattage of the bottom fans, it's kind of hard to find one that's suitable.

Anybody here with a 5.25" bay fan controller with 4 knobs that fits? (and is colored black too) I see a Scythe Kaze Master Ace on the previous page, does it work fine?

I used a Lamptron FC5v2 with my old FT02 and now TJ07. You'll have to make/buy your own triple 3-pin parallel adpater to hook all three 180mm fans to a single channel, but it'll be like that with any fan controller you buy. I had all 180mm fans on a single channel and they worked great.

Last edited:
I do have a question regarding the Windowed vs non windowed versions. Would the non window version be quieter due to the panel having the extra sound dampening material on it? I kind of want the window version but based on how my desk and everything is setup, the window part would be out of site. Just not sure if there is an advantage to one over the other.

i was wondering the same thing. my guess would be that the difference probably wouldn't be noticeable, particularly if the window would be out of sight anyway. but who knows, i'm just guessing.

Here are a couple shots of my latest Build i finished a couple weeks ago.

5349933696_b9b1181d30_b.jpg

What cooler is that over the ram?

Actual testing aside; I would think the difference would be imperceptable. The reason I say that is that the case exhausts out the top. Any noise from the case will be heard through the top and depending on the case location would determine what you hear.

My case sits adjacent my desk (not under) and I can hear my Raptor HDD accessing files over my GPU, CPU and case fans. Its subtle and my setup is pretty quiet (I am not OC'ing at present... can I admit to that here?) but I can still hear it.

I have the windowed case FWIW, but there is sound dampening directly accross from the drive. The sound I am hearing is a direct line from the drive to the top of the case and therefore not mitigated by any of the damping in the case.

It is the quetest case I have ever owned. Silent, no, queit yes.

What cooler is that over the ram?

Nothing useful as the AP181 Channelling Fans MORE than take care of the cooling needed for your RAM.

Just to let you know I had Corsair RAM Fan and took them off as they were making more noise then the rest of the unit combined after using them for the 5 to 6 months that I had them in there until I realized that I didn't need them. Joel at Silverstonetek can explain the airflow capabilities of this amazing tower to you in more detail. Just go their website and look for their contact page and phone number... Later...

Just bought one of these via TigerDirect. $230 shipped, and I get a $20 statement credit via my AmericanExpress card, so effectively $210. Almost paid $240 for it via Amazon and got it a few days quicker, but I wouldn't have the statement credit. Should've done FatWallet or something for the additional cashback, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time.

I got mine a month ago and to my surprise it had usb 3.0. A nice silent revision.

I'm an FT02 owner with Tri-Fire 6990/6970...I'm considering switching to the Cosmos II so I'll have more room for the GPU's and can fit more HDD's. The thing I am concerned about most is GPU temps, do you think they will be better on the Cosmos II?

I may add a Accelero cooler to my 6990 which would make both my video cards exhausting heat directly into the case, if that helps in deciding.

Just got my FT02 from Newegg yesterday, really impressed with it so far. It did come w/ the USB 3.0 ports and the AP fans. Will post some pics once I get hardware in it!

Just got my FT02 from Newegg yesterday, really impressed with it so far. It did come w/ the USB 3.0 ports and the AP fans. Will post some pics once I get hardware in it!

Hope you got it on sale, cause Newegg's price when I looked was insane compared with Amazon and TigerDirect... Maybe you can get them to price match retroactively or something.

Hope you got it on sale, cause Newegg's price when I looked was insane compared with Amazon and TigerDirect... Maybe you can get them to price match retroactively or something.

It's 20 bucks more at newegg then amazon or tigerdirect

I usually charge for a strip....but for you its free! :D

dsc2699xc.jpg

dsc2744st.jpg

The PSU have long cables, + the braided ones, I just don't know how to fit them all...

Nice and clean, trying to get my more like this.

Last edited:
Having enjoyed the benefits of "no dust" inside my FT02, I recently built a system for a friend using the same case.

What fits quite nicely (IMO) is the NZXT Sentry Mesh fan controller

03%2520fan%2520controller%2520and%2520DVD%2520in.jpg

to keep down heat/maximise performance, went with three SSD's:
1 x Intel 510 120GB for OS and Apps
1 x Intel 510 120GB for Portable Apps (eg Firefox, Thunderbird, Skype) and personal folders...basically any data that is constantly being updated
1 x Intel 320 180GB with two partitions - one for Windows Image , the other for a mirrored backup of the dynamic data

05%2520SSD%2520x%25203%2520in.jpg

As a finishing touch, added the Silverstone 120mm fan grille for the top exhaust

07%2520three%2520thousand%2520cable%2520ties.jpg

Used a Corsair H80 internally as its a great fit

08%2520up%2520and%2520running%2520for%2520software%2520install.jpg

Glad you liked what I did! Thanks!

What brand extensions are you using? I've been considering buying a ton of paracord and sleeving all my wires, but that shit would take forever so I'm tempted to just buy individually sleeved extensions if they aren't going to cost too much and I can find some that are high quality with good heatshrink, etc.

What brand extensions are you using? I've been considering buying a ton of paracord and sleeving all my wires, but that shit would take forever so I'm tempted to just buy individually sleeved extensions if they aren't going to cost too much and I can find some that are high quality with good heatshrink, etc.

I'm using which was available during that time, NZXT, comes in Red, White and Black: http://www.nzxt.com/new/product.php?series=13

Right now, Bitfenix offers with more colors : http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/premium-modding/alchemy-cables#overview

Got my FT02 Black with window last night, though I didn't have time to do much but get it out of the box and take a quick look inside. Unfortunately, I have to say I'm disappointed as hell.

The entire goddamn top panel is made of plastic. Not just the snap-off portion, which I might could forgive given its shape and the cost of making a piece like that out of aluminum, but the flat portion around the top I/O (USB, sound) ports. That's pathetic.

This is a $250 case marketed specifically as an aluminum unibody design. I've had a number of high end aluminum cases in the past --
$100 Lian Li A05B -- only small plastic "caps" on the top and bottom of the front panel. Everything else in the case was aluminum.
$250 CoolerMaster ATCS 840 -- No plastic in the entire damn thing. Panels, top and bottom, everything aluminum.
$300 Lian Li V2000B Plus II -- No plastic. Anywhere.

What is this shit Silverstone? This is the first time I've paid up for one of your cases, and you completely fail to deliver. I was thrilled by some people's descriptions of the quality of this case, it looked great in pictures, but in person it's painfully obvious the top is a different material than everything else, and to me at least it looks terrible. Had I know this, I would never have purchased it. Should have known better, stuck with what I knew was quality, and got another Lian Li.

Now I'm stuck with a $230 case I'm really unhappy with that's huge and 40 pounds packed. If I return it I have to pay shipping back which could easily be $40-60, plus a 15% restocking fee. I could easily end up paying $100 for the privilege of being pissed off, and well, to hell with that. Guess I'm stuck with this thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hate plastic on my cases too. I'm gonna check out some of those aluminum ones you recommended.

Got my FT02 Black with window last night, though I didn't have time to do much but get it out of the box and take a quick look inside. Unfortunately, I have to say I'm disappointed as hell.

The entire goddamn top panel is made of plastic. Not just the snap-off portion, which I might could forgive given its shape and the cost of making a piece like that out of aluminum, but the flat portion around the top I/O (USB, sound) ports. That's pathetic.

This is a $250 case marketed specifically as an aluminum unibody design. I've had a number of high end aluminum cases in the past --
$100 Lian Li A05B -- only small plastic "caps" on the top and bottom of the front panel. Everything else in the case was aluminum.
$250 CoolerMaster ATCS 840 -- No plastic in the entire damn thing. Panels, top and bottom, everything aluminum.

What is this shit Silverstone? This is the first time I've paid up for one of your cases, and you completely fail to deliver. I was thrilled by some people's descriptions of the quality of this case, it looked great in pictures, but in person it's painfully obvious the top is a different material than everything else, and to me at least it looks terrible. Had I know this, I would never have purchased it. Should have known better, stuck with what I knew was quality, and got another Lian Li.

Now I'm stuck with a $230 case I'm really unhappy with that's huge and 40 pounds packed. If I return it I have to pay shipping back which could easily be $40-60, plus a 15% restocking fee. I could easily end up paying $100 for the privilege of being pissed off, and well, to hell with that. Guess I'm stuck with this thing.

After 3036 posts, it looks like you weren't paying attention.
By looking at photos online, you would see the top panels were plastic with an aluminum skin.

The case got rave reviews because of cooling, vertical positive air flow design and minimal sleek looks.
No one ever touted this case as an all aluminum masterpiece.

That's pretty shitty. I was thinking about buying the case but that puts me off of it.

I fucking hate how all the case manufacturers have been cheapening their stuff each and every year since the original Coolermaster team left. My biggest pet peeve is Aluminum exterior with ugly steel interiors.

My old Coolermaster ATC-101B is the highest quality case I've ever touched. My TJ07 was decent but not great and my current TJ03 is good but not up to Coolermaster standards (little shit goes wrong, like wiggly side panels, broken usb flip down door, etc).

You literally can't buy a good case anymore with the same quality like they used to make. It's really annoying.

If someone made a case like this again with modern features like 120mm fans for radiators and good wire management, I'd pay $1000. I don't want bullshit like plastic tool-less mounts, steel interiors, etc. Just a simple, classic, THICK, well made piece of aluminum.

coolermasterfront1netsi.jpg

Most of the options appear ugly as anything, wasn't that impressed with what I saw at first glance. I'll look it over later. Regardless, not looking to spend $1000 on a case, nor should I have to to get something quality, as evidenced by my previous experience.

Back