new swiftech stuff

poopy

Limp Gawd
Swiftech has a new pump out that has 3/8" barbs, weighs 207 grams, uses 8.3 watts, and has 13 ft of head. Now, I don't know much about hydraulics, but the discharge seems pretty low @ 92 gph compared to their older pump which is 317 gph. The MCP650, by comparison, has 1/2" barbs, weighs 650 grams, uses 24 watts, and has 10 ft of head.

Along with the pump is a peltier for socket 775 and I also noticed they finally have a mcw6002 waterblock and retention mechanism for lga775. Yay.

yeah, ive seen this before, and i dunno...13 feet of head is AMAZING, but it doesnt push much water. Basically, it pushes a relativly small amount of water really hard. Now wethere thats good or not...i dunno, but ill wait for reviews.

What amazes me, and I am still trying ot grasp it, is the minimal amount of flow that most systems are truly seeing. I bet alot of people think that if they have a 350 gph pump, that that is what they are flowing. I believe that these ratings are most like with 0 head. The waterblock tests I have seen are showing maximum dissipation at around 2.5 gpm, which with the MCP600 is less than 3 ft of head. So, I have learned that gpm is not everything. I beleive we are starting to see a converging of the Euro vs the American views of smaller vs larger coming together. It is going to be very interesting to see what shakes out over the next 12 months.

It's the same price as the 650. If they would cut the price in half this would make a great pump when plumbed in parallel.

since you guys are on the subject... could you do me a favor and explain what head is? :confused:

sorry if this is a hijack! :eek:

Jason711 said:
since you guys are on the subject... could you do me a favor and explain what head is? :confused:

sorry if this is a hijack! :eek:

The vertical lift height at which a pump can no longer deliver a liquid, basically, a figure that equates to overcoming resistance. So if 1 pumps shutoff or head point is 10 ft, and the other pumps head is only 5 feet, the first pump is better able to overcome resistance in your loop. I saw some charts one time at some pond site that showed the relationship of fittings, pipe etc in determining true dynamic head. Obviously, a smooth walled pipe offers less resistance than say like a galvanized iron pipe, and what really stuck out was elbows. 1 hard 90 degree elbow had the equivalent of adding an additional 15 foot of pipe to a loop, based on a 1/2 pipe system. Pretty much explains why everyone says to keep 90's out of the loop if at all possible.

2Busy said:
The vertical lift height at which a pump can no longer deliver a liquid, basically, a figure that equates to overcoming resistance. So if 1 pumps shutoff or head point is 10 ft, and the other pumps head is only 5 feet, the first pump is better able to overcome resistance in your loop. I saw some charts one time at some pond site that showed the relationship of fittings, pipe etc in determining true dynamic head. Obviously, a smooth walled pipe offers less resistance than say like a galvanized iron pipe, and what really stuck out was elbows. 1 hard 90 degree elbow had the equivalent of adding an additional 15 foot of pipe to a loop, based on a 1/2 pipe system. Pretty much explains why everyone says to keep 90's out of the loop if at all possible.

ah.. thanks! :D

Back