New to overclocking intel

kirk121

Limp Gawd
I just purchased my first intel system since the good old P3 days and I wanted to know what are my best options for overclocking.

MB: ASUS|SABERTOOTH Z77
CPU: INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R
MEM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000

Since I went with the 2500K should I just go with multipliers and turn off turbo modes?
This system will be water cooled so heat should not be a huge issue, I just want to make sure that what ever settings I use dont cause me to kill my processor. All the options for overclocking intel is so different to amd which I am so use to.:p

So like I said I am not looking to get the highest overclocks in the world, just something good and stable for years to come.

Thanks for the help

good luck, i'm no expert and i just used the "EZ" settings on my ASRock board. even going from OC'ing core 2 duo to an i7, i had no idea what i was doing, and so i just went for EZ instead of messing with multipliers, bus, blck all those other newfangled things, haha. i miss the days of bumping up the FSB because you couldn't change the multiplier unless you had an EE or unlocked proc.

If I am right the 2500K should be unlocked multiplier wise, I just want the most stable overclock that will not kill my new proc. I will burn it in at stock for a while I just wanted to make sure the best way to do it stable and safely. So I will bump up the multipliers and turn off the turbo settings and just go for a nice 4-4.5 oc if I get that I will be very happy. And should I turn off the c state power settings for the most stable oc?

Last edited:
good luck, i'm no expert and i just used the "EZ" settings on my ASRock board. even going from OC'ing core 2 duo to an i7, i had no idea what i was doing, and so i just went for EZ instead of messing with multipliers, bus, blck all those other newfangled things, haha. i miss the days of bumping up the FSB because you couldn't change the multiplier unless you had an EE or unlocked proc.

and yes I know what you mean about missing the fsb days of at least intel

Back