New Toy!

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
So I decided against the D3X for this year. With this economy, buying a $9500 body seems a little over the top.

Instead, I decided it was time to upgrade my tripod. The last one (a Gitzo 1340 with Markins M20 head) was a hell of a nice sturdy tripod but it was rather heavy (about 4kg). So, I sold it off (surprisingly easy, don't think I asked enough) and ordered a Gitzo GT3530LS tripod and a Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro ballhead. What a featherweight! Easily half the weight of the last one and has a higher load capacity (18kg vs 14kg).

G3530-1.jpg

G3530-2.jpg

G3530-3.jpg

I also upgraded the head for my monopod a while back to a Really Right Stuff MH-01 high capacity monopod head:

G5540-1.jpg

So now I just have to convince this snow to melt........

Awesome! You get so many new toys...

I have been looking at tripods lately as well, just no where near that budget sadly :(

i see two great choices there. first, you're a nikonian and you're using a Gitzo :D

same here, only i'm using this one instead, and Markins Q-10 ballhead.

congrats on the new gear!

New toys are great. I got my new PW MiniTT1 and a new pistol :)

ooo - nice tripod! I got one really cheap at wolf that seems pretty sturdy and has a monopod built in. Still seems a bit too good to be true on price vs quality so far, so I’m anticipating it wearing out fairly quickly. Will have to look into this brand next.

DT what kind of gun you get? I was considering getting another one myself sometime soon (I want a big hunting revolver next), but decided the $$$ would be better spent on a macro lens.

Really wanted the Nikor 105mm f/2.8 macro, but that one costs more than my camera did! Luckily I found the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro which seems to have very similar or better iq for half the price (plastic build and slow AF, which I probably won't be using anyways). Can't wait to start shooting macro stuff again. :D

Good setup. Why did you replace the head? I thought the Markins was much lighter than the RRS? I bought a 055XPROB and 488RC2 for now, and when I get my 500L I am going GT3541LS with Wimberly II.

I take it the weight is due to the age, and newer design of the legs?

Good setup. Why did you replace the head? I thought the Markins was much lighter than the RRS? I bought a 055XPROB and 488RC2 for now, and when I get my 500L I am going GT3541LS with Wimberly II.

I take it the weight is due to the age, and newer design of the legs?

The weight is the difference between carbon fibre and aluminum.

I like the dual drop notches and seperate drag controls of the RRS head. Besides, this way both my ball heads are the same.

These legs are also easier to operate since they won't spin. They seem to lock and unlock easier too.

Thank god. I thought for sure you were buying the 200F2VR, you don't have that one yet do ya? =)

I love my BH-55. I have it on a set of 9021 legs tho, and it has the 'riser' pole in the center unlike your gitzo legs which are a flat platorm. I think the platform has more stability but the riser has more flexibility, do you use both?

Edit: Dale you need to start a blog for these posts and what you are up to. You have too many cool projects that ya need to update us on...

Thank god. I thought for sure you were buying the 200F2VR, you don't have that one yet do ya? =)

I love my BH-55. I have it on a set of 9021 legs tho, and it has the 'riser' pole in the center unlike your gitzo legs which are a flat platorm. I think the platform has more stability but the riser has more flexibility, do you use both?

Edit: Dale you need to start a blog for these posts and what you are up to. You have too many cool projects that ya need to update us on...

None of my tripods have had a center column (G1340, G1500, GT3530, TP243). It does take some more effort to set up but there is no compromise in stability. That center column is like extending a monopod on your tripod legs.

A 200/2? Interesting choice but not high on my list (maybe if I won the lottery....)

Can't see myself as a "blogger". You'll have to settle with my two websites: www.houseofrage.com and www.bugography.com

Back