New Toy

mrmagoo_83

2[H]4U
Picked this up today for cheap. Its a Chenbro RM51901, its a few years old, and the back planes are all PATA. I am working with Chenbro to see if I can purchase SATA back planes; if not, I'll just pull out the PATA ones, and run cables straight to the adapter card...I hope. Now to get a motherboard a processor to throw in here to work as my ripper/encoder/server rig.

IMG_7577_resize.JPG

IMG_7579_resize.JPG

IMG_7580_resize.JPG

Honestly, I can only barely grasp what that is (Russian hard drive storage monster?)...but it looks impressive!

Apparently, AMX, an automation and storage company, took these cases and built mass media storage servers for public usage, but then ran into a problem with the MPAA, and instead of fighting the lawsuit, just discontinued the product.

It has all four power supplies, 3+1, all the fan modules, but is missing the slim DVD. But we're are going to try to find a bluray player and stick in it. My hopes are to use WHS, and MyMovies, as someone else suggested to make this thing into a ripper/server for the house. I'm looking at getting the X6 1095 with a cheapo motherboard.

For less than $100, I couldn't pass it up, even if I have to take a dremel to it, or buy pieces here and there to get it up and running, it'll be worth that much.

You had me very interested until you mentioned PATA. I see the cabling but that does not look like all drives were connected (not enough cable mess).

BTW, the drive cages look higher than todays standard so a backplane may not work. I am thinking you could fabricate one with a lot of work and hot melt glue. Not sure what I would use for the material to hold the cables though.

Last edited:
Back