New Westinghouse 22" (LCM-@@W2)??

Hurshai said:
I doubt this thing is HDCP, but I'm sure we'll come to find that HDCP will be no real issue ;). I'm gonna pick this baby up when school starts. Just bought some best buy coupons off of eBay. If it doesn't suit me I'm sure the 215tw should. Lets get some more pics to tide me over eh? :D Preferably of the BF2, DOD:S, pRon variety

I will have pics of games when I finish my Conroe rig! :)

I will be returning my moniter friday......dont get me wrong this is a retty good darn moniter for the pruce tag of 399.99 that i got it for, but i wanted to go bigger and better so i ordered the Dell 24" 2406WFP Display.........couldnt stand it that moniter was the big dog of the year and has been put with maximum pc's dream machine for 2 years running, got it on sale for 685 with free shipping so i had to go for it!!!

To all that are thinking of this display if you can get it for the price i got it for i think for that price and the size and what the display has its totally worth it!!

Dell 2406WFP? I assume you meant 2407. There seems to be a lot of color banding issues with the 2407WFP at least according to owners over on the Dell forums.

Yeah, I'm getting it based on some coupons I have. The $400 sale price is over but I can still get it for $344 (no tax in Montana :p). I've heard mixed reviews of the 2407, but I think some people were a little too critical of the banding issue :rolleyes: . I suppose we'll see what happens over time with the Westy, could fall prey to the same scrutiny. Then again I've rocked CRT's for 15 years, so this is a whole new world to me. I would get the 2407 if I had the flow.

Pretty sure it is. I think this was covered in another thread. Only one 22" panel is being mass produced at this point.

I'm torn between getting this monitor, the Samsung 215TW or Gateway version, or just getting the updated version of my monitor (Samsung 204T) by purchasing the Samsung 205B.

Seems people are liking this Westinghouse. The Samsung 215TW from what I heard is being discontinued so not sure if that is because a new one is coming out or ??

What do you guys think?

Well, I returned mine. While a pretty good monitor, the brightness gradient from bottom to top, dithering, and (surprisingly) a higher amount of ghosting than I'd like kept me from keeping it. After finding the Dell 2007WFP on sale (as it is now) for 367, having similar connectivity, a better stand, a much higher quality panel, better support, almost no ghosting, and even USB ports, all for less than the Westy, I decided on the Dell. While I'm *very* pleased with my purchase, it is nonetheless two inches smaller, which may be a big deal to some.

To those like me, however, if the two inches isn't a big deal for you, I highly recommend the Dell, especially at this price. Otherwise, enjoy your LCM22w2! :D

YMMV but I just got my 22" Westy from Best Buy with the 30% off coupon....

Out the door for $302.94:)

Search in the Hot Deals Forum for "30% Coupon Hack" or something like that. It's a long thread.

Short story is there are these coupon books in Best Best for Back to School. Some have 30% off PC accessories BUT some have 15%. You have look through the boxes. If you find some, you may still have have to bitch at the Best Buy manager for 5 minutes (I did) to convince them a monitor is an accessory.

Five minutes of bitching at an employee for Worst Buy is no prob for me:)

Good luck!

I just got one of these yesterday and I'm wondering if there is anyway to reduce the amount of backlight bleed thru at the top and bottom of the LCD. Is there a way to dim the backlight in DVI mode?

Any suggestions? I really am having a hard time looking past the bleedthru and I'm hoping I can minimize it.

Thanks!!!

Well, I found a 30% off coupon, but the guy in the computer area, and the store manager would not let me use it. First they said a monitor is not an accessory (yeh right..), than he said it does not apply to sale prices.

The other two stores in my area are out of stock, so I can't even try slipping it by at the register.

Rob :mad:

Well I bit. My old monitor was a 17" Planar PX171M (was amazing 3 years ago with its 16ms response time... also cost me over $600).

Pros: It's much bigger than my old monitor. I am already in love with the size of the monitor and don't plan to look back to smaller monitors anytime soon. The DVI is crisp, and the component looks quite good coming from an HD cable box (although not as good as component on my TV).

Cons: The back light has some bleeding problems at the top and the bottom that I wasn't used to with my old monitor, but I may get used to it while I test this over the next few days. So far I've counted maybe 10 or so :eek: dead pixels, none of them noticable at normal viewing range (all appear white when right next to the monitor). I find the black level to be worse than my old monitor, but it's not something that really concerns me. The viewing angles are much like my old 17"... very good to the sides, but going up and down changes the colors quite a bit (as with all TN panels I think?).

I've also got some color adjustments to do to make it look a bit more like my old monitor, although this is not a con.

While the cons are rather numerous, I still like the monitor a lot, and I will likely end up keeping it. The only thing that will cause me to exchange this particular monitor is all of the dead pixels (while I don't really notice them, I'd like to have less, and if it costs me nothing to get less, why not do it?).

Overall: I plan to exchange this one, but keep the first good one I get. :cool:

Edit: I think what I was seeing as 'dead pixels' weren't really pixels at all because they're smaller than the actual pixel size. I'm semi confused by this, because they are all white, except for 1 blue, which is exactly what TN panels supposedly show for dead and stuck pixels. I dunno what they are though?

What settings are you guys using for your various inputs? Not very good at adjusting these things yet, any help would be appreciated!

I finally bit on this monitor. I've been looking at it off and on since it was introduced this summer. I found that all I do lately is check monitor prices for a large widescreen monitor. Got tired of checking prices and so I picked it up last night.

I really like it. Lots of backlight bleeding, as others have noted. I just messed with the settings as was suggested in the second or third page, looks pretty good so far. Yay 22" widescreen

I picked mine up on Tuesday after work after going to look at it a couple times in the store over the last week. With some simple adjustments, this thing is amazing. I guess I was lucky, my monitor doesn't have much backlight bleeding at all and no dead pixels yay. It looks great using DVI. I'll try VGA for Xbox 360 when I get a VGA cable, as component doesn;t scale properly for the 360. All the extra inputs, 22" wide screen and only $400 is a steal.

So it seems not very many places on the internet have much info on this monitor as for performance so I found this forum. I just bought the monitor based on peoples experiences and the low price point of $399.99 (my lg sitting next to it cost 439.99 for a 17 2 and a half years ago, so I thought the 399.99 was a good deal). I have been use to using TN panels in the past so this is no different (I think my lg is only a 6bit panel also, the 1720p). I have included pictures if it helps ^^. BTW this is my first post here ^^.

Unpacking the panel was quite an experience as I didn’t relies really how big it was going to be in my situation. It was surprising, but very welcomed. One thing I noticed is that the monitor does look fairly nice for its price point, no crappy silver on the front as most monitors with such a low price have this. The speakers and led a nicely recessed at the bottom. The simplicity of having the buttons at the side makes it clutter free. I like that the led is very dim as not to distract. The build quality is pretty good, and surprisingly the monitor was actually assembled in Taiwan and not China ^^. The plastic seems fairly stable with no warping in the frame from sub par assembly as with some cheaper monitors.

I was excited after hooking it up to DVI from my 7900, played with the contrast and brightness, kept at 6500k and it looked stunning. It is fairly bright for its modest 280 candela rating (my LG is 300 and look dimmer, even when it was new my LG wasn’t as bright). The contrast ratio seems to produce good blacks with other image attributes on the screen (text on white looks stunning).
fourqc8.jpg

Well first off people are complaining about the backlight bleeding, yes I do agree that it is very high but it is not bad considering my LG panel has about the same amount. The panel does seem to be very blotchy in backlighting levels when you see a complete black image. The image below shows an over exaggerated bleed as the camera was changing light sensitivity, but it does illustrate the inconsistent blotches in the backlight.
onewj1.jpg

That aside I have 2 other gripes from this monitor, one is that the component inputs work really well with most games from my ps2 (in 480p or i in most cases). But Nihon Ichi titles like phantom brave and some others based on its engine did not allow the monitor to sync (just black). This was through the component only, other games work fine in i mode. Also the component output works on my Samsung 32 inch crt HDTV so it isn’t a problem with the game not outputting component. Also non progressive signals from component are slightly off center as not all the screen is used from 480p/I in full mode. (More on this later)

Well those two problems aside the monitor is otherwise very good. The 6bit does not take too much away from the experience so far for my uses (occasional gaming and video viewing). The color banding is slightly better than that of my LG so I am happy. I did have a stuck blue pixel in the middle left but I used a micro fiber cloth to touch the area and it disappeared (leading me to loose contact or it assimilating to the cool in the house), it has yet to return. I am also quite happy with the color rendering, it is not harsh blue like the Acer wide screen monitor at work. ( I spent hours trying to get the Acer to be not so harsh with no success, guessing it is an au optronics panel in the Acer) The Westinghouse was good though with a few tweaks (high brightness, low contrast). So far the whites are balanced to my surprise. No ghosting in videos or games are detectable as of yet ^^.

The inputs are a nice option, but some problems have arisen in syncing to certain sources under problematic signals (explained above). The internal audio is really poor (but not a problem as most ppl will use external ones).

In all I would recommend this panel, the quality isn’t bad for a cost of $399.99 for 22inches. The resolution and size will keep me from going smaller again in the future ^^.

My desktop:

threewi5.jpg

My hot gay elf:

twoky2.jpg

HD tv rip of Tommy:

fiveion9.jpg

Cute ichigo in 4:3 (larger even than on my LG ^^ (2 inches, and with ichigo size matters ^^)

sixru9.jpg

Well, I might have to return this sucker. Over component you have no way of adjusting the picture. Which is fine for 480i/p as they seem to work perfectly, but 720p and 1080i are all way out of wack.

I tried using VGA to adjust the picture at 1280x720x60hz but that seem to have done really nothing.

westy's tech support told me that its only a function of VGA and DVI, and you have to do it on the outputting device. When I told the lady that I have no control of it, she told me to hook up the device with vga or dvi.

of course, since every video game console has a vga port :/

Just picked up this monitor for my dorm room.

I have the Xbox 360 hooked up via VGA. Settings are 1280x1024 and it looks good.

I have the HD comcast cable box hooked up via component which is displaying at 1080i (or stretching it to native res, which is 1680 x 1050).

The HD box has an HDMI port, so thinking of getting an HDMI > DVI cable. Will I notice a difference in picture?

Thanks!

Omegaslast said:
in the bestbuy ad is the "bestbuy exclusive" westinghouse 22" lcd

specs:
1680x1050
5ms
700:1
DVI/VGA

only $399 though, seems pretty solid for 22"...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/29/westinghouse-goes-22-inch-with-new-lcd/

i am confused as hell ...first Samsung makes a 22 inch lcd with Exact same specs saying 8+bit color ..then viewsonic says 8 bit + dithering now westinghouse says 6-bit ..these are all likely the same panel but which company is correct ?? i am leaning toward samsung cause they are pretty strait forward with specs ..viewsonic isnt and westinghouse for sure isnt but hell ..anyone know for sure?

z400 said:
Just picked up this monitor for my dorm room.

I have the Xbox 360 hooked up via VGA. Settings are 1280x1024 and it looks good.

I have the HD comcast cable box hooked up via component which is displaying at 1080i (or stretching it to native res, which is 1680 x 1050).

The HD box has an HDMI port, so thinking of getting an HDMI > DVI cable. Will I notice a difference in picture?

Thanks!

Why are you running it at 1280x1024, that is a 4:3 aspect ratio whereas 1680x1050 is a 16:10 ratio. Try a widescreen ratio to get the correct aspect ratio, which will also most probably result in a better picture quality as well once the monitor stretches it to the screen.

I know what you mean, Hyperblau, but for that, the Viewsonic VX2025wm, and the BenQ equivelant, 1280x1024 actually stretches the best out of the bunch. The funny thing is that 1280x760 streches best on my Dell 2007WFP. Go figure. :rolleyes:

animasaki said:
I know what you mean, Hyperblau, but for that, the Viewsonic VX2025wm, and the BenQ equivelant, 1280x1024 actually stretches the best out of the bunch. The funny thing is that 1280x760 streches best on my Dell 2007WFP. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Yup, Go figure.

opfreak said:
I was wrong. The one guy that post here was right.
There is a typo I belive on the westinghouse page, I think the light output is actaul 300.

but it is a 6bit TN panel. (I emailed westinghouse and asked)

This probably might cause banding.

So I think I'll pass, however a 4 hour email response. (ok I emails like 6am cst, they might be pst, so maybe 2 hours to answer)
is impressive.

not TN but mva

mvazx1.jpg

yuukichan said:
not TN but mva

mvazx1.jpg

いたださん

日本語を言うことができますか

http://www.genesis-microchip.com/products/gm1501_ProdBrief_C1501-PBR-01.pdf

Through talking to technical support and some other things I have found the video processor used. It seems they opted for the non HDCP version as the chip comes in two models, but yeah it shows extra info about the monitor. Still no info on the exact panel being used, though I have some speculation it is an 8bit panel (listed below), with the chipset crippling it to 6bit with differing. No other 22inch panel has the same specs as this one so this is the closest thing I can find. Notice the very narrow viewing angles shown by the manufacturer.

http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/product/showproductd.jsp?size=22

So in all I decided to keep this monitor, it was good decision at $399, if I have any problems I am just going to return it for the same model within the next few days. No problems as of yet, the stuck pixel has not come back. Well on a side note I am still looking for someone that knows how to get into the factory menu or the service menu of this unit, thx ^^, I know it has one as the image processor requires it for setup.

Any one have a noisy inverter on this unit ? (Listen to it and tell me if you hear a high frequency buzz) thx ^^

No sound from mine, perhaps a bad unit?

After I was past the BB return date all of a sudden there are 22" monitors every where.

I have yet to see the acer/samsung, but I finally saw the Viewsonic $349 model at Costco.

I did not like the look of the viewonic at all. The viewsonics bezel is a very glossy black, providing lots of just what you don't need on a monitor: reflections.

Just curious, for this $199 Black Friday sale at Bestbuy can you by the unit online for instore pickup or do you have to get there at 2 in the morning on site :}

Black Friday prices usually only refer to in-store (So you'd pay the regular price online even though you're doing the pick-up thing). I'm not sure if the monitor will also be on sale for Cyber Monday.

I'm going to get there a little before 5 a.m. (when they open) just because I don't think there will be too many people getting this (There's a minimum of 10 units per store).

Gotenks326 said:
Just as a heads up, this monitor will be for sale for $199 on Black Friday at Best Buy.

Yea, I noticed that. Hella deal on a $400 LCD for half price.

Can you buy now and then price-match on black friday? That would be uber-pwnage. Also, since I'm interested in using this as a xbox 360 display how do you hook up to sound using computer speakers. Can I use a cable like this:

Monoprice cable

or this:

Amazon cable

and hook that up to the line-in on my soundcard. I think those cables are meant to be stereo-plug to rca output but can you do rca-input to stereo output with those. I think you know what i mean. Hook those rca female ends up to the rca males coming out of the 360 an plugging the stereo to the line-in.

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
wow really glad i found this site and this thread. guess i'm gonna be camping out for this. seein some of these pictures in here made me extremely giddy.

had one question though, will i be able to just plug in my regular a/v connections from my xbox/ps2? i plan on getting better cords but was just wondering.

Back