New Win7 Install - HMDI/VGA Issues with HDTV

I just read through the recent thread that was closed regarding underscan in the new CCC. I've found the settings and tried everything I can, but nothing I do is working. I have a Sharp 42" lcd tv, and until recently was running it at 1920x1080 over the VGA connection perfectly. Last night I installed Windows 7 fresh and when I got into windows, I get a "this resolution cannot be displayed" error. So I hooked up using the HDMI, and while it works and displays the desktop, at 1920x1080 it is underscanned, and text looks horrible. Tried changing the setting, but even when it's set to fill the monitor, text is MUCH worse than it used to be. Tried changing the stretch setting on automatic, but then the desktop is overscanned and the edges are cut off. I don't get a dot to dot mode under HDMI, used to get it with VGA.

I'm mostly annoyed at the fact that it worked perfectly under Vista, and now it just refuses to cooperate. Tried hooking up a 2nd monitor, but then the Sharp will only go up to 1024x768. Also tried different refresh rates.

Anyone got any suggestions? ATI Tool didn't work, and neither did Tray Tools.

open up CCC and if you are using 9.7 drivers go to Desktops and displays, next right click the picture of the TV at the button of the windows and clock configure. Now click Scaling Options and move the bar to whatever looks right. Next Pixel Format and make sure that Full RGB is being used. most of the time i have seen it is set to YCbCR 4:4:4. I have a Samsng 37" 1080p TV and i have to do this every time i reinstall drivers.Do these steps with your res at 1920x1080 when using your TV. Changing to Full RGB will make the color and text look better. Hopefully this will fix the problem you are having.

No go. No setting in the under/overscan has text that is anywhere near good quality. The TV refuses to go into dot-to-dot mode on the HDMI when hooked up to the X2. Used to do it just fine over the VGA before.

I can go into 1600x1200 and it only has stretch as the view mode, nothing else. This is actually the best because the text is at least readable, but the image is squashed. Tried setting to 1600x1200 and switching to the VGA cable, and I just get "no video input". This is the strangest thing. Sad thing is, it worked PERFECT before, haha.

hmm not sure then i don't have any problems with my HDTV and Win 7 with the 9.7 drivers. i don't have a X2 so maybe the problem is that then.

Well, after a rediculous ordeal of changing every possible setting in Win7, Catalyst, switching out dvi adapters, hmdi wires, and even trying out the component dongle for m X2, nothing has worked. Oddly enough, my laptop was able to output 1920x1080 to the monitor perfectly on Win7, but it has a Geforce 8400M as it's video card. So I've come to the conclusion that VGA 1920x1080 on Windows 7 with ATI hardware is borked. I think it may have something to do with Win7's and ATI's handling of HDCP content [i.e. everything is HDCP, and VGA cannot do it]

So, it's back to Vista Ultimate 64 for me. At least until this is sorted out by ATI or Microsoft [if that ever happens]

Just leaving this here in case anyone else has the same issues.

Back