Newb question to Eyefinity

aznpxdd

2[H]4U
Hi guys, sorry if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find anything via search.

I have a HD5870 eyefinity in my comp, and I'm trying to hook up 3 monitors to it. I currently have 1 DVI and 1 HDMI hooked up. Can anyone tell me what I need in order to hook up my 3rd monitor via DVI? I know it involves getting an adapter for displayport, but not exactly sure what I need. Any help would be appreciated!

If your monitors don't need a dual-link DVI connection, you just need a passice displayport adapter ($20-$30). If your monitors are dual-link and you need 2560x1600 resolution on it, you'll have to get have to get an active dp adapter (with USB connector for power) by bizlink/accel. These used to run upwards of $100 but can be found on eBay for around $40-$50 now - although most of them are hit and miss.

Hm, I actually do have that adapter. The card came with 6 adapters (2xDVI, 1xHDMI, 3xDP) since its an eyefinity 6 card.

I currently have 2 mini DP to DVI and 1 mini DP to HDMI (all 3 at 1920x1080), how do I enable all 3 monitors? Every time I try to enable the 3rd monitor, it tells me it can only be done if I disable one of the current 2.

If the 5870 is anything like my previous 5970, the HDMI output is the root of your problem. You'll want to use the 2x DVI and the DP for the three monitors and leave the HDMI unused. I can't remember the exact reasoning but 3x eyefinity won't work if you mix the DVI and HDMI ports.

I ran my 3x 3008wfp's on the DVI and (mini)DP port off the 5970. Should be the same for your setup.

Hm, I actually do have that adapter. The card came with 6 adapters (2xDVI, 1xHDMI, 3xDP) since its an eyefinity 6 card.

I currently have 2 mini DP to DVI and 1 mini DP to HDMI (all 3 at 1920x1080), how do I enable all 3 monitors? Every time I try to enable the 3rd monitor, it tells me it can only be done if I disable one of the current 2.

You need an active adapter, the adapters your card comes with is passive.

Ah, okay thanks guys! So are the cheapest active adapter still around $100?

Ah, okay thanks guys! So are the cheapest active adapter still around $100?

You're looking at the DL Active DP adapter. You need the SL Active DP adapter. Those usually run about $30 bucks. Newegg carries it so check them out.

Back