Newegg Shell Shocker Sandisk EXtreme 120GB SSD $129.99 no rebate

I think so long as they included that popular firmware that fixed the BSODs that SF2281 controllers had, then yes. But I'm not too sure just which firmware version they're using and/or who made it. I definitely think it's a must that you at least have that one as it inflicts every SF2281 drive and not this or that particular model. Other than that issue I believe the rest are compatibility related rather than controller fuckup BSODs. The Samsung 128gig 830 is also on sale for a bit more at the moment via newegg, so if it's a choice between the two of those the Samsung wins hands down and well worth the $40 or whatever it is

Umm the Samsung you are talking about is $200 at the Egg. That is an $80 price difference :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1612-_-EMC-031612-Index-_-SSD-_-20147137-L01D

$180 + FS. $60 bucks :/ The crucial/corsair/plextor or even OCZ drives are worth the mention at that price (and lower) but all of them are worth the money over this particular drive. Personally, I wouldn't care that it uses toggle NAND, if it's got no firmware support I wouldn't buy it

Read the reviews and stop trolling. If you don't like Sandisk fine, but take it to another thread. This is not the place for it.

Read the reviews and stop trolling. If you don't like Sandisk fine, but take it to another thread. This is not the place for it.

I'm stating this while running a corsair SF2281 drive. If you don't want to get hammered down the line by lack of support, don't go Sandisk. And posting info (like lack of firmware support) isn't trolling, it's called buyer beware. Because unlike Sandisk, the OCZ/Corsair/etc will actually provide you with firmware updates and they cost roughly the same per-GB.

I'm stating this while running a corsair SF2281 drive. If you don't want to get hammered down the line by lack of support, don't go Sandisk. And posting info (like lack of firmware support) isn't trolling, it's called buyer beware. Because unlike Sandisk, the OCZ/Corsair/etc will actually provide you with firmware updates and they cost roughly the same per-GB.

Actually it is trolling. Provide proof for your claims or create your own thread.

Plus one on the trolling remark. Sandisk is a very reputible company and you have no proof that sandisk will not come out with firmware updates.

Plus one on the trolling remark. Sandisk is a very reputible company and you have no proof that sandisk will not come out with firmware updates.

More and more reviews keep popping up, all of them pretty solid so far:

http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=591&pagenumber=12

No major widespread issues as of yet. I see no reason not to get this drive the next time it hits a good sale like the 240GB was several days ago, and like this 120GB shellshocker.

Just got my drive in today :cool:. Gonna try to get it installed tomorrow night or so.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Ultra-SSD/SSD-Ultra-120GB-New-Firmware-Sleep-fix/td-p/252224

according to one of their reps on chat, sandisk does not provide firmware updates for their ssd products. their ssd series are sold 'as is' items and no current or future updates are required. i find this real strange as most manufacturers of ssds provide firmware updates and tools for their ssd line of products. as new fixes and patches come out, these tools provide a means to resolve any exisitng problems and/or enhance performance. i'm not 'knockin' on the performance/reliability of sandisk's ssds but for future ssd purchases, i probably would go with a different competitor as they provide additional tools and support for their ssd products.

If you're gonna accuse me of trolling you may want to provide a little info and maybe even an apology to people who bought these drives :p

Sandisk is a reputable company, yes, I have a couple of their MP3 players and they've served me years. Unfortunately they do not provide firmware updates. I told you guys! Because other SF-based SSD manufacturers DO provide firmware updates and are priced almost the same you should skip these drives altogether and wait for a deal from OCZ/Corsair/Intel etc.

Oh looh, the troll is back. Maybe think they don't give firmware updates because they do it right the first time. Keep on trollolololololololololololing away if you want.

I have to give credit for Sandisk creating a big buzz on such a new product. And unlike Intel, they are passing the savings of using their own NAND onto consumers. But the policy of their not updating their firmware is a big no sale for me, especially while they're using the Sandforce SF-2281.

If you're gonna accuse me of trolling you may want to provide a little info and maybe even an apology to people who bought these drives :p

haha, that is funny stuff right there. Who exactly put a gun to someone's head and made them purchase this particular drive. Did I ever claim to be an expert in all things SSD? Nope. Do I expect people to make their own informed decision? Yes.

So please explain to me again how I personally owe anyone at all an apology. Maybe for once let people take responsibility for their own actions. I digress though, I forgot that this was the interwebz where it is okay to blame everyone else and take responsibility for nothing :rolleyes:

Okay so Sandisk won't update the firmware. Does it need an update? From the reviews that I have combed through about this drive I haven't read anything about persistent problems with the drive. OCZ messed up their original firmware on this sandforce controller and therefore all the other companies can't make a good product. Sounds a bit stupid to me.

the policy of [Sandisk] not updating their firmware is a big no sale for me, especially while they're using the Sandforce SF-2281.

I went to their forum to find out about the firmware situation. A commenter (Sandisk rep. ?) said, when they do have a firmware update, it will be available to everyone. However, it's not clear that they are planning to do much firmware upgrading in the future.

Hopefully they are right, but for now I am crossing my fingers and relying on the fact that I have not seen many issues with these drives so far, despite that they are Sandforce.

Sandisk forum post

"Currently there is no firmware upgrade available for the products they have released. from what i understand sandisk does plan on releasing a toolkit and possible firmware updates in the future however they ahve not confirmed what products would get the updates." (sic)

Since its SATAII is it worth getting as a dedicated Steam/games drive? Still rocking Q9650 and EP45-UD3P here.

Yes, esp. if you're coming from any HDD (even a Raptor or Striped Raptors). SATA II is not going to affect any real world or noticeable bottlenecks. Even if it was though, it will still be a substantial upgrade from a HDD.

This are my results with the Sandisk Extreme 120GB.

No firmware upgrade needed. Great drive!

and these are with my results with raid 0

Lol, I ordered this on Wednesday, supposedly shipped shortly thereafter but the tracking number still doesn't show up in the system. I assume you guys who got yours already chose better shipping than the free one?

Lol, I ordered this on Wednesday, supposedly shipped shortly thereafter but the tracking number still doesn't show up in the system. I assume you guys who got yours already chose better shipping than the free one?

UPS 3 Day + Rush processing

Gotcha. Newegg used to do UPS 3 day as their free shipping. Gone downhill since then. :(

This are my results with the Sandisk Extreme 120GB.

No firmware upgrade needed. Great drive!

and these are with my results with raid 0

Those are some very nice numbers. Do you have any AS SSD or Crystal benches RAID vs. single?

EDIT: BTW here's an actual Sandisk Extreme 120GB review

SanDisk Extreme SSD (120GB)
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/storage/36529-sandisk-extreme-ssd-120gb/

Some more 240GB reviews

SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA 3 SSD
http://.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18278&Itemid=23

SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA 3 SSD Review – Equal 4k Read/Write IOPS Performance Observed
http://.com/our-reviews/sandisk-ext...equal-4k-readwrite-iops-performance-observed/

I ordered min Wednesday as well, but didn't choose rush processing or any higher/faster shipping methods. Somehow I got my drive on Saturday.

its always best to pay for the UPS option if it's not the standard (free) option. When the egg ships though USPS it takes forever. I live in PA, item shipped from there NJ location... Took 4 business days to get too me. I can drive to the NJ location in less then 4 hours. Bottom line... Your cant really B**ch about something that's free.

I have my drive... I like it so far. Though i went from a 60gb SSD to this 120.

I was ready to buy, but the price went back to 149$ /1stworldproblem

Well the deal ended last week, sooooo... :cool:

I got mine in the mail yesterday (or maybe Monday, not sure, didn't check it until yesterday). I was surprised at how small the box was. At first I thought they had just shipped a bare drive, lol.

Haven't installed yet, gotta get some data off the GF's machine first and then clone the C: drive.

Small follow-up: Got the drive installed and C: cloned over just fine. Drive works great with no firmware or software nonsense required.

Drive works great with no firmware or software nonsense required.

+1

I did a clean install of Win7 x64 and have had zero issues with it. I was skeptical that I would see much speed improvement over my mechanical RAID0 array, but it is definitely there. I would have no hesitations about recommending this drive.

I'm one week one of the drive running 24/7, no BSODs or halts. It just works.

Is there a secure wipe tool that works for these drives? I haven't been able to get HDDerase 4.0 working.

Back