NForce4 Info...possibly

Well if you believe the Inquirer, check out This Article. Key features....

1. This chipset will be socket 754/939 ready and 940 compatible and all CPUs Athlon 64s, FX, Sempr0ns and Opterons will work on it.

2. The platform will have one to two PCI express 16 slots making this Geforce 6800 SLI mode possible for not quite as much crazy money as you'll have to invest in Tumwater and Xeon CPU.

3. The good news for Sound Storm lovers is that this chipset finally features these nice audio capabilities. It's now called Sound Storm 2 - no surprise there - but we don’t know anything about its features as yet.

4. Nvidia PCI Express stuff was scheduled for Q4 and it hasn't changed from that so far.

My thoughts on the matter....can't wait....if this is true....

If its true I cant wait either. But then again its the Inquirer. We'll just wait and see. :)

A new soundstorm is worth a hefty sum right there. Will it have an AGP slot for my X800 Pro?

SSmith said:
A new soundstorm is worth a hefty sum right there. Will it have an AGP slot for my X800 Pro?

I doubt it, especially the way Chipzilla is pushing it from the market with force.

The Inqwell is a very reliable (and often amusing) source. Most of their spam turns out to be correct. :eek: :D :cool:

Schro said:
I doubt it, especially the way Chipzilla is pushing it from the market with force.

The Inqwell is a very reliable (and often amusing) source. Most of their spam turns out to be correct. :eek: :D :cool:

LOL
:D

lets hope is true,

if it is, then it will be going in my next machine ,

Well thanks for informing me of the parts I will be ordering in a bout 6 more months :)

Hopefully it is all out by then.....wishing and hoping :D

i've been reading the INQ for 2 years now and they are pretty freaking dead-on with most of their speculations. ESPECIALLY on release dates.

Will this Soundstorm2 be competitive with Azalia or w.e the Intel hi-def sound is called? If so, then I am IN.

Kingofl337 said:
Sound Strom 2!!!!! W00t! On the fly DD Encoding for suround sound!!!!
Yes, you throw away CPU cycles to have sound. Wonderful. I'd rahter have a sound card.

soundstorm has nice and low cpu usage, so it is safe to assume that soundstorm 2 will have similarly low cpu usage.

SoundStorm was sweet. 3D sound isn't as important as it used to be, so to get it for free was always awesome.

Edit: I of course speak of the days of the Aureal/SBLive wars. Maybe its just me, but it all sounds good now. I think the newness wore off.

I don't care a fig for surround sound anyway. All I need is a 10 dollar sound card not to waste prescious CPU cycles.

Well you can disable it. But the rest of will enjoy the Surround Sound goodness! No other sound card on the market offers realtime DD encoding so for those who have wanted it it will be a blessing.

M4d-K10wN said:
Yes, you throw away CPU cycles to have sound. Wonderful. I'd rahter have a sound card.

The current soundstorm has very low cpu usage. Lower than most, maybe all, sound cards out there. Don't spread stupid fud.

M4d-K10wN said:

haha... sorry bro but do your research here. Soundstorm 1 blasts nearly every sound cards cpu usage figures with quite possibly one of the least cpu hungry sound solutions ever. While an audigy or another card may be the choice of some people, the cpu usage numbers don't lie and in that respect soundstorm has NO competition. I place a lot of weight in this fact. People are asked to spend all kinds of money for a couple huundred MHz more on CPUs and throw them away. Barking up the wrong tree here though at the actual golden boy.... sound cards included.

M4d-K10wN said:
I don't care a fig for surround sound anyway. All I need is a 10 dollar sound card not to waste prescious CPU cycles.

Actually, depending on the sound card you get, you could easily end up with higher CPU utilization with that $10 sound card over Soundstorm.

Stole my post, you bastard. :mad:

(Just kidding...but you did steal my post. :p)

Anyway, I'm willing to venture that SS2 will support all of the new "standard" stuff, like 24bps by 96KHz resolution and 7.1. I wonder if it'll add in DTS support?

As for AGP/PCIe support, I wonder if the...uhh....bridge (Northbridge? Southbridge? EASTbridge?) will even have an AGP controller, or if a board maker will have to slap on some sort of PCIe/AGP bridge chip. I know that there exist VIA-based K8 boards with both.

Stiletto One said:
Stole my post, you bastard. :mad:

(Just kidding...but you did steal my post. :p)

Anyway, I'm willing to venture that SS2 will support all of the new "standard" stuff, like 24bps by 96KHz resolution and 7.1. I wonder if it'll add in DTS support?

As for AGP/PCIe support, I wonder if the...uhh....bridge (Northbridge? Southbridge? EASTbridge?) will even have an AGP controller, or if a board maker will have to slap on some sort of PCIe/AGP bridge chip. I know that there exist VIA-based K8 boards with both.

I think the existance of Dual 16x PCIe is going to happen, and AGP won't be on the chipset. It appears that Chipzilla (intel) wants to push AGP out of the market fast, which means the rest of the industry will probably follow- thus your choice will be nF3 250 w/ AGP in the budget range, or nF4 w/ PCIe + SS2 for the "workstations".

Kingofl337 said:
Well you can disable it. But the rest of will enjoy the Surround Sound goodness! No other sound card on the market offers realtime DD encoding so for those who have wanted it it will be a blessing.
well, every sound card with digital outs can do DD with various ac3 realtime encoders. (software for free, hardware for pretty cheap). anyway, i believe most recievers can do PCM anyway, so you don't need dd encoding. it's still an awesome board, and it's gonna make me switch over from my "aging" p4 2.4c sometime (hopefully) soon. 2009 at the latest.

unhappy_mage said:
well, every sound card with digital outs can do DD with various ac3 realtime encoders. (software for free, hardware for pretty cheap). anyway, i believe most recievers can do PCM anyway, so you don't need dd encoding. it's still an awesome board, and it's gonna make me switch over from my "aging" p4 2.4c sometime (hopefully) soon. 2009 at the latest.

Isn't PCM 2 channel? Ding Ding. Isn't AC3 6? Ermhrmph.

Um.

I don't think there are any other hardware for-PC DD encoders except for the original APU. Everything else is soft/driver-based.

And PCM doesn't help you any for surround sound, it's only stereo. (As a format! Not as a data type! Before the nitpickers strike.)

Back