• Both

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 19.4%

• Total voters

Kakyoin

2[H]4U
Which one are you looking forward to?

Personally, I'm looking at getting a Nintendo DS over the Sony PSP.

Reasons:
Wireless
Backwards compatible (Can play GBA Games, there are 2 slots)
Only $200 for a Nintendo DS compared to $300+ (Not confirmed by Sony) for a Sony PSP

I'm looking forward to the PSP more. Mainly because it can play movies, and it just looks cooler.

I like the game selection that is going to be available for the DS

So far all the videos ive seen of stuff running on the PSP has been lookin pretty friggin awesome for a handheld, and the features seem like more for the buck. I gotta go with the PSP on this one, though Ill prolly end up with both.

PSP for its media abilities of movies and music. It'll probably have some decent games. Maybe we'll be able to mod it and play roms on it :p

psp has like ps2 graphics doesn't it what does the ds have (not trying to flame)

To me, the Nintendo DS seems like a gimmick.

The PSP actually seems like an atempt by Sony to enter the handheld market.

Both seem like they'll never catch on.

The Sega Game Gear and the TurboExpress were both better than the Gameboy but look who is still around. it all depends on the games and how many people are willing to risk adopting a new technology. Problem with movies on the PSP is that it uses propiertery disks so unless they come out with a burner for the computer that can burn them goodluck with useing anything that they aren't selling specificly for the PS. Look at the disks for the Gamecube, because you cant make them nobody can make ileagle copies, I think sony has learned from nintendo on how to keep people from cheating them out of revenue.

"For media, the PSP will use Sony's new Universal Media Disc (UMD), which can hold up to 1.8GB of data, three times that of a conventional CD-ROM."
-Taken from http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/11/news_6097116.html

Wouldnt that be a somewhat of a draw back for movies? Wouldnt that mean you would have to buy the movies in that format to play it on the PSP?

For movies it just to small of a screen, they have video cababilitys on the GBA right now but who in there right mind would want to watch somthing on that small of a screen?

I'll probably buy the PSP just for the handheld version of GT4. I like the video/movies feature too.

Killdozer said:
To me, the Nintendo DS seems like a gimmick.

The PSP actually seems like an atempt by Sony to enter the handheld market.

Both seem like they'll never catch on.
they will... when sp came out i knew a whole lot of people that got it even thought they had and advance already... If thats not a waste of money i dont know what is

I'll probably grab one of each. :)

That said, this is addressed to Pvt. Potter:

Waste of money for the SP?! Have you seen the huge improvements the SP was over the original advance? The lit screen is amazingly well done, and there are no more batteries to replace - the thing is powered by a rechargable Li-Ion battery. Top that off with the fact that it's more compact, more comfortable, and, since the screen flips to protect itself, more durable.

It was more than worth the price.

I'll probably buy both. mainly because i already have a DS so its ability to play games i already have is good. however i do feel the dual screens is a gimmic (most demo games that use it are a BIG gimmick) but the better graphics on it are nice.
but really I like the PSP and its features, the large widescreen, it supports the memory stick, ect... thats where i see the movies, no need for the UMD when you could put your own movies on a memory stick. if you can't, then its simple, i probably won't buy it. ( 300$ is a lot for a system that would purposefully limit the features)

i think i mite get the ds... maibe the psp... but probably the ds... touch screen is a big thing lol... but the dual screens (the selling point) does seem like a gimmic... its just a better idea to have one big screen like the psp... i mite get the psp cauz i have alot of memory sticks lying around so... but probably the ds... and with the gb advance sp, that technology should of been implemented on the original gb advance... its like they were purposefully holding off on better features so people can buy both which i think is a good marketing decision... but i don't like it...

The PSP has wireless capabilities as well, just so you know.

The Sega Game Gear and the TurboExpress were both better than the Gameboy but look who is still around. it all depends on the games and how many people are willing to risk adopting a new technology.

Here's an apple. Here's an orange. See how they're nothing alike?

The industry was completely different back then. Neither the Game Gear nor the TurboExpress were introduced by a company with as much marketshare, marketing knowledge, or liquid assets as Sony. Sony has a gameplan and a target demographic that has the potential to be far more profitable than any that Nintendo could ever muster up.

I'm tired of Nintendo when it comes to the handheld industry. They release a product without essential features. Six months later, they basically throw your idiocy in your face by releasing a product with features that the original should've had to begin with. They've allowed a ridiculous amount of floodware onto their Gameboy systems as well.

If Sony can keep the battery life acceptable and prices down ($200 is pushing it for a handheld, no matter what kind of tech is inside), they will blow the DS out of the water. I believe that Nintendo fans are tired of the constant feature-whoring hardware updates as well.

The PSP is trendy and sleek. Japanese/American consumers will eat it up and ask for seconds, provided that the prices are reasonable.

I'd say neither. The psp is more appealing to me feature wise, but it's high price will keep me sticking to simple games on my cell phone and real stuff on my computer and maybe my `cube.

Nintendo because they know how to make handheld games enjoyable. :), but I think Sony will capture a big part of Nintendo's market share.

Dont think I will be getting a DS at all unless a good More or Zelda comes out for it. The Sony PSP really looks awesome but no way no way I am paying over $250 for it.

ill wait for the price drop to occur and the games to come out before i decide, but ive been a big nintendo fan so ill go with the DS

Battery life for the PSP is specified as 2 - 10 hours. I would not expect more than 3 - 4 hours max out of a single charge when playing a game that occasionally accesses the CD.

Cartridges make a lot of sense for a handheld system.

Battery life for the PSP is specified as 2 - 10 hours. I would not expect more than 3 - 4 hours max out of a single charge when playing a game that occasionally accesses the CD.

Cartridges make a lot of sense for a handheld system.

There are other ways to load a game; Sony has already discouraged developers from using streaming (Or, in other words, the frequent loads that you're talking about). In fact, I believe that is why they added more memory to the system. If there is more memory, they can load fewer times and let the data sit in the cache.

I'm not sure the cartridge argument is going to save the DS in terms of battery life. Those two bright, back-lit screens are going to suck up some juice.

Back