No more Newegg NY tax !! !! !! yippie

Pnanasnoic

Limp Gawd
I just caught this on slickdeals:

New Egg changes TOCs b/c of NY Sales TAx

A few months ago, New York State made changes to its tax law which potentially require out-of-state internet retailers to collect and remit sales taxes to New York State.

Since then, New York State has issused a memorandum indicating that an internet retailer would be presumed not to need to collect New York sales tax as long as: (1) its contracts with its New York-based affiliates prohibit the affiliates from engaging in solicitation activities which refer New York customers to the retailer, and (2) the New York-based affiliates sign an annual statement confirming that they have not solicited New York customers for the retailer.

We firmly believe that our relationships with our New York-based affiliates should not require Newegg to collect New York State sales tax. However we want to make sure you comply with the new rules. Therefore, we have posted special terms and conditions on the Commission Junction website. To comply with the memorandum, the terms and conditions require you (1) to not solicit business for Newegg from New York residents, and (2) to submit a yearly certification stating that you have not solicited business from such residents.

Please log into your Commission Junction account today to review and agree to the new program terms and attached terms and conditions. Because we want to ensure that our affiliate partners comply with New York State tax law, I would ask that you please complete this no later than August 20, 2008. Please note that if you do not accept the new program terms containing the new terms and conditions by August 20, 2008, the system will automatically expire you from the program. You would then have to re-apply and accept the new program terms in order to be re-admitted into the Newegg affiliate program. To prevent you from having to reapply, we ask that you make every effort to accept the new program terms on or before August 20, 2008.

We are committed to our New York customers, as well as our affiliate partners. We strive to provide our customers and affiliates with the best product deals, selection and service.

I put a few things in my cart, and there was no tax on the order! Im in NYC - Fantastic news!

Wow that's great for NY people. Newegg is really stepping it up to show customers they care.

That's awesome for me since I am unlucky and live in NY, yippie one less tax for us to have to pay.:eek:

This is good news, but I don' really then get the whole concept of the law that was created in the first place. Not many etailers directly target new yorkers, so basically all etailers can follow through this loophole.

I hope that's true - Amazon has also been killing me. I have three BIG birthdays to buy for in june, I payed over $300 in taxes to Amazon within 24 hours...that's a lil crazy

Good news for me.

Now if they would only stop overcharging for the shipping I might actually shop there full time.

Now if they would only stop overcharging for the shipping I might actually shop there full time.

actually they are not overcharging for shipping.

They are giving you the rate which UPS gives to wholesalers . They dont make anything on shipping. I am in shipping business and can tell you that shipping has become expensive in the last few months .

If only that applied to Tennessee :(

Exactly.
Because of Newegg moving one of their warehouses down here, I've had to look elsewhere often times due to our damned 9.25% tax tacked onto every purchase from Newegg. :mad:

actually they are not overcharging for shipping.

They are giving you the rate which UPS gives to wholesalers . They dont make anything on shipping. I am in shipping business and can tell you that shipping has become expensive in the last few months .

They should use USPS for smaller orders. $6 shipping for an item that weighs half a pound is pretty ridiculous.

Does this mean that NewEgg won the lawsuit, or did New York drop the lawsuit?

They should use USPS for smaller orders. $6 shipping for an item that weighs half a pound is pretty ridiculous.

they do use usps now.. but if you try to buy more than a few items the usps option is gone.. i think they overcharge for shipping.. but maybe recently have changed the packing technique (piece of paper for hd packing is not cool imo)

In for 3! Not to attempt to mini-mod, but doesn't this honestly belong in Hot Deals Discussions? This thread, the other thread about it and any others that might crop up because posters are too lazy to check for an existing topic?

In other words... NY didn't have a legal leg to stand on, and is making it LOOK like they are being "reasonable" when in reality they were facing Federal lawsuits over unlawfully interfering with interstate commerce.

Hey NY.... go FK yurself. :eek::rolleyes::p

Good news for me.

I think the shipping charges are fine.
I just ordered parts for a complete machine and shipping only came to $31.00. cases alone usually come to $20 for shipping.

If you want to be really frugal, just order the stuff that has free shipping. I did that once for 3 machines for a client.

Now is this retroactive? Can you get a refund for the tax that you were charged on a previous order?

they do use usps now.. but if you try to buy more than a few items the usps option is gone.. i think they overcharge for shipping.. but maybe recently have changed the packing technique (piece of paper for hd packing is not cool imo)

I have never seen a USPS option for Newegg. I even checked it just now with just a item (AS5) and all I got was UPS and FedEx.

No NY tax is good though since it sets precedent to keep other states from following NY.

The one time there was no tax on my order since the law took effect, I belatedly realized I'd sent the package to my university in Pennsylvania, when I'm at home in NYS - doh!

Would be nice if this was retroactive.

Now is this retroactive? Can you get a refund for the tax that you were charged on a previous order?

Well, we all know we are supposed to report our internet purchases to the state of NewYork on our taxes........so you aint gettin' it back. In fact if you did I think a little red flag would go up in Albany.

This is great news but blows, as I have spent about 150 dollars in taxes on the egg since that damn law went into effect.
I have gone elsewhere to buy stuff, like to mwave and FXVideocards, just because of no taxes.

Glad this is over.:D

I guess they saw a big fall off in sales. The day that tax hit I pretty much stopped shopping at Newegg and Amazon so this is great news and I hope Amazon follows shortly.

First off, this is awesome. NY stepped way out of bounds by trying to make out-of-state retailers charge NY taxes. Newegg was probably losing crazy business because of this -- I for one haven't purchased there since it went into effect.

Now, what is this Commission Junction account and where can I log in?

I live in Montreal and I have found a warehouse in NY that holds parcels for pickup for a very small fee. I stopped buying stuff from Amazon.com and NewEgg when they started to charge the NY sales tax.
Also, the Canadian Sales Taxes (~13%) apply on top of that. This makes too many taxes!

I hope that Amazon.com will follow shortly!

Just an update, with a little more info.

Dear Valued Newegg Customer,

As a result of recent changes in New York State tax law requiring certain out-of-state retailers to collect and remit sales taxes to the State of New York, we began collecting applicable sales tax for all orders shipped to New York addresses starting June 1, 2008.

After careful review and consideration, we are pleased to inform you that we have stopped collecting New York sales tax, effective August 21, 2008. This decision was driven by your direct and candid feedback and our continued commitment to you as our valued customers.

We appreciate your patience as we worked through this process, and would like to reiterate our commitment in offering our customers the broadest product selection, competitive pricing, fastest shipping, and award-winning customer service.

We look forward to continuing to provide you with the premier online shopping experience for all of your IT and consumer electronics needs.

Sincerely,

Bernard Luthi
Newegg.com
Company Spokesperson and
Vice President of Merchandising

Disclaimer: While Newegg no longer charges sales tax to its New York customers effective August 21, 2008, you may still have an obligation to pay New York State use tax on your purchases. Newegg cannot offer you any tax advice, so please refer to applicable law if you have any questions about use tax. Nothing in this email shall be deemed to approve the validity of any New York State law, including but not limited to section 1101(b)(8)(vi) of the New York State Tax Law, which purports to require Newegg to collect and remit New York State sales tax on its sales to residents of that state.

since when did tyhey ever use USPS?

Well, we all know we are supposed to report our internet purchases to the state of NewYork on our taxes........so you aint gettin' it back. In fact if you did I think a little red flag would go up in Albany.

This is great news but blows, as I have spent about 150 dollars in taxes on the egg since that damn law went into effect.
I have gone elsewhere to buy stuff, like to mwave and FXVideocards, just because of no taxes.

Glad this is over.:D

Who is to say that Newegg has already handed over the money to NYS?

Fuck yeah!, time to buy me this 9800GTX+, I was thinking of going to ZZF, but this saves me 4 dollars, and newegg has better support.

In other words... NY didn't have a legal leg to stand on, and is making it LOOK like they are being "reasonable" when in reality they were facing Federal lawsuits over unlawfully interfering with interstate commerce.

Hey NY.... go FK yurself. :eek::rolleyes::p

GTFO Jack :p

no taxes FTW!! Now I think we should all get our monies back from paying taxes this whole freaking time, or atleast some CREDIT :D

newegg++ gg!

cool now maybe NY can form a great computer parts retailer and not leave it entirely up to californians who have to pay tax from newegg, zzf, etc, yet dont bitch about it.

Back