Noise coming from a fan in PC

Hey guys,

I have a Windows 7 PC with an Asus P8z68 deluxe motherboard. I had a newer Nvidia video card in my PC which I recently removed and replaced with an older Nvidia GTX 460 SE video card.

As soon as I power on the PC I started noticing noise coming from one of the fans in my PC. I never noticed any noise before, my PC was always silent. Did I do something wrong that could have caused this?

Could the Nvidia GTX 460 SE be making this noise or is it one of the fans in my PC? I have 5 fan controllers on the outside of my PC.

When I increase the fan speed on one of these controllers the noise gets louder. Other than the fan noise I'm not experiencing any issues with my PC.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stu

The bearing on one of your case fans may have come loose or unbalanced when you moved your case to swap video cards out. Could be due to age or quality of the fan. I had an exhaust fan on the top of my case do this to me once. I swapped it out for a new one eventually, but I temporarily made the noise go away by tapping it from the top while sitting upright and then giving it a spin with my finger.

You can fix common fan noise issues by applying some sewing machine oil to its bearing. Here's a guide. I've "fixed" many fans on multiple PC's with this solution.

Probably would help if you open up your case and try to specifically pinpoint which fan it's coming from. If it's certainly a case fan, there's no harm in giving this solution a shot I figure.

Thanks for the help.

When I was removing the first video card I forgot to flip the switch that holds the video card in place. I kept trying to yank it out. Eventually I flipped open the switch and the video card was freed from the motherboard. Could doing this have caused the noise I'm hearing? Could I have damaged the motherboard by doing this?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

This sometimes happens when a machine runs 24/7. I mean a machine that always runs then you turn the poweroff briefly there is a chance that a fan will rattle after turning it back on even though it never made a sound when it was on 24/7.

Thanks for the help.

When I was removing the first video card I forgot to flip the switch that holds the video card in place. I kept trying to yank it out. Eventually I flipped open the switch and the video card was freed from the motherboard. Could doing this have caused the noise I'm hearing? Could I have damaged the motherboard by doing this?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

It's probably fine. Did you check to see if perhaps any wires are obstructing or rubbing against any fans?

Back