Notfred VM Question

jimbowdang

Limp Gawd
So I just started using Notfred's Virtual Appliance on my computers but I'm having some trouble running it on my laptop. The problem I'm having is that the VM refuses to run using the fold64 method. The chip is a T7100 and it supports EM64 so I know that should be fine but the host is Vista 32. However I've run Ubuntu 64 on Vista 32 before so that shouldn't be a problem either.

I did notice though, as VMware Player starts up it tells me that VT is disabled. I checked the BIOS settings but since it's a laptop, there's no option to turn it on. Is this the problem? Is there anyway to turn on VT without using the BIOS? (the chip supports VT according to Intel's website)

If the BIOS doesn't have an option for VT-x, there's probably nothing you can do. I find that a little surprising though, since even my HP laptop has an option for it, and it's an entertainment-oriented product. Take another look in the BIOS and see if you can find one (it might be called Vanderpool instead). If it's definitely not there, then you're out of luck I suppose.

Yeah, the BIOS will let me set the boot order and that's about it. I figured I was probably SOL with that. Is that the reason that fold64 won't run though? Does VMware need hardware virtualization to run a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit host?

Is that the reason that fold64 won't run though? Does VMware need hardware virtualization to run a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit host?
Yes. Not only that, but the VM performance will be severely degraded without hardware virtualization enabled. Basically, without VT-x, VMs are useless for folding.

Jimbo

What computer are you using exactly?
There might be an updated bios or something that we can do.

I had this problem on a Gateway. I thought I had looked through the bios but after looking again I found the option to enable virtualization technology (VT) and it worked like it should. So, even if you have a factory built computer you might be able to change this setting as I did.

The computer is the laptop in my sig, and I double checked the BIOS and I'm certain that there's no option to turn it on. I have it setup to dual boot into Ubuntu 64 which puts out some good PPD but I'd prefer to use windows with a VM. Oh well.

I'm having to lug around a second laptop (client issued) due to VPN issues. It's a Lenovo T400 (recent issue). I'm having the same problem with finding how to turn on VT in the bios. It is possible my client may be on a custom bios that prevents it from being turned on.

I'm having to lug around a second laptop (client issued) due to VPN issues. It's a Lenovo T400 (recent issue). I'm having the same problem with finding how to turn on VT in the bios. It is possible my client may be on a custom bios that prevents it from being turned on.

Thats a nice Laptop, I almost bought one.

Good info, unfortunately mine uses an older Phoenix BIOS and not an EF. I think I'll just stick with dual booting. I've got to say though I'm not terribly satisfied with Sony. There's their problems with disabling VT, and I've also had trouble with video drivers. I tried to get the GPU2 client running on it once (it's got discrete graphics) but the Sony drivers don't include CUDA and the system prevents you from installing any other drivers, even the ones directly from nVidia. In the end I guess it just another reason for me to prefer desktops, I can't imagine any true enthusiast using only laptops with all the manufacturer software/hardware restrictions.

Back