nVidia 6800 and DVI resolutions > 1280x1024 HELP!?!

lower the refresh to 60 and it still wont go higher then 1024x768 ? sorry to hear that man.
Sell it as fast as you can to recoup some fundage and get something else that you can live with. GL

No, you have to make 1368x768 on your own in the "Change Resolutions" flyout tab. I also tried PowerStrip and Rivatune, but in any case every time I try to set my monitor above 1280x1024 I get a pan & scan Virtual Desktop that's windowed to 1280x1024 or 1280x768.

If there isn't a solution soon, would eVGA work? Then again my TV's EDID data still limits it to 1280x1024, so I still might be in the same boat with another 6800 GT...

Edit: Yes I did try the other stretchy modes and the only thing that looked even reasonably useful was "Monitor Scaling". But in all cases I am still stuck in pan & scan mode :(

JGene said:
No, you have to make 1368x768 on your own in the "Change Resolutions" flyout tab. I also tried PowerStrip and Rivatune, but in any case every time I try to set my monitor above 1280x1024 I get a pan & scan Virtual Desktop that's windowed to 1280x1024 or 1280x768.

If there isn't a solution soon, would eVGA work? Then again my TV's EDID data still limits it to 1280x1024, so I still might be in the same boat with another 6800 GT...

I'm gonna try to get to the bottom of this tomorrow when the engineers are back on site. This is just too strange. There's no reason that certain people can get certain resolutions to work and others cannot. I'd also like to find out if these are in fact simply rebadged BBN reference boards.

Sepal said:
lower the refresh to 60 and it still wont go higher then 1024x768 ? sorry to hear that man.
Sell it as fast as you can to recoup some fundage and get something else that you can live with. GL

Thanks for that :) If I don't get a proper answer out of BFG tomorrow that's what I'm gonna do. I just don't have the patience for all this crap. All I want to do is be able to use a normal resolution. I don't think that's asking a lot.

Here is another thread that I posted in. Basically another guy who is stuck running at a lower, windowed Virtual Desktop because of nVIDIA forcing EDID compliance. If you could, give the engineers a good holler and if possible give me a few telephone numbers.

I've been using my TV for two months at 1368x768 on my old Radeon 8500. I would expect that a $400 video card could replicate what my 3-year old ATi card could easily do, but this is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. :mad:

Few questions for you guys unable to hit 1600x1200, which I guess would only be the author of this thread:

Is your monitor properly detected?

Are you trying to force your LCD to run anything besides 60hz?

on bfgs website under FAQ i found this...

Q. Is there a maximum resolution for the DVI output?

A. Yes, it is1280x1024.

EDIT: sorry it appears that the above information was extremely outdated, Im sorry for any kind of missinformation it may of lead to.

Thanks,
Brian

FlyinBrian said:

A. Yes, it is1280x1024.

The funny thing is (not really so funny for us that own the card) is that there is zero information available to the techs regarding this issue in their card reference files. I talked to a guy tonight who told me he had no idea what the supported resolutions for DVI on the card are because there's no documentation :confused:

What happens when you guys try to run at resolutions greater than 1280x1024? Can you even do that at all or do you get pan & scan Virtual Desktop like me?

Okay to make things perfectly clear, since we're apparently arguing two separate points.

BFG tech seems to imply a 6800 GT (specifically, their 6800 GT) cannot run at 1600x1200 via their DVI out. I'm saying they can (my desktop in the previous post is running at 1600x1200 fine. )

Other users of 6800 GT have been able to run at 1600x1200 on a 2001fp (specifically Jacuzz1 in this thread)

To people who are on the fence about the 6800 GT because they think it cannot drive a 1600x1200 LCD via DVI, that pic of my desktop pretty much proves that it is in fact capable of such resolutions.

Subjectively I'm saying my DVI output is no different than before. Coming from a Evga 5900 Ultra (I was an early adopter - so mine was essentially a refernce board) running via DVI on a 2001fp at native 1600x1200 resolution. I see no noticeable image quality problems at all.

Bar + JGene appear to have problems with custom resolutions on Widescreen LCD's and LCD TV's. This appears to be an entirely different issue than a 6800 GT being unable to drive LCD's above 1280x1024. Unfortunately the onlything widescreen I have right now is my laptop (driven by a GeForce 5650 Go at 1680x1050) so I can't help you guys out with a 6800 GT directly.

I believe BFG's technicians that you've spoken to are not exactly informed and not exactly knowledgeable about the 6800 series of cards yet.

I have seen the 1280x1024 limitation before, and it generally applies to nvidia cards several generations old, and those are not generally relevant to this generation of boards (especially since the nv40 appears to be brand new from the ground up).

JGene said:
Here is another thread that I posted in. Basically another guy who is stuck running at a lower, windowed Virtual Desktop because of nVIDIA forcing EDID compliance. If you could, give the engineers a good holler and if possible give me a few telephone numbers.

I've been using my TV for two months at 1368x768 on my old Radeon 8500. I would expect that a $400 video card could replicate what my 3-year old ATi card could easily do, but this is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. :mad:

How would I be able to find out the EDID my monitor is reporting? It always reported the proper max resolution using the ATI drivers :confused:

edit: I can't really help above 1280x1024 as my monitor maxes at 1280x768. Sorry.

HMM i have a theory, Overclocking can cause you to get a dirty signal, just for testing purposes set your clock/memory to nvidias default listed speed, reboot and then see if you can get 1600/1200

I agree with everything you said except this:

EekTheKat said:
Bar + JGene appear to have problems with custom resolutions on Widescreen LCD's and LCD TV's. This appears to be an entirely different issue than a 6800 GT being unable to drive LCD's above 1280x1024.

I disagree because I believe the two issues are actually linked. I cannot run ANY resolution greater than 1280x1024 and if I do, I get a windowed Virtual Desktop. Below 1280x1024, I can run virtually any resolution to my heart's desire (1280x720 or 320x200 - yes I actually did run that resolution).

At the moment, PowerStrip and the latest ForceWare drivers seem completely inept at providing a working solution. Hopefully BFG will release a bios that can address these issues, but if not then I may have to go back to ATi :(

EekTheKat said:
I believe BFG's technicians that you've spoken to are not exactly informed and not exactly knowledgeable about the 6800 series of cards yet.

There's definitely a problem with their knowledge; there doesn't seem to be a question at this point. It's just extremely annoying.

Bar81 said:
How would I be able to find out the EDID my monitor is reporting? It always reported the proper max resolution using the ATI drivers :confused:

edit: I can't really help above 1280x1024 as my monitor maxes at 1280x768. Sorry.

PowerStrip or RivaTuner have EDID dump features. If your EDID was done right, the maximum resolution of your monitor should match what the actual resolution of the screen. However in my case, Sharp was lazy and and capped the EDID at 1280x1024. Luckily for me that didn't prevent my old ATi card from driving my display past its EDID limitations and I ran at 1368x768 for two months.

FlyinBrian said:
HMM i have a theory, Overclocking can cause you to get a dirty signal, just for testing purposes set your clock/memory to nvidias default listed speed, reboot and then see if you can get 1600/1200

I'll check it out tomorrow to see if the OC has anything to do with my problems also. Right now I have it sitting next to me (I was going blind at a non native res) and will pop it back in tomorrow morning for further testing. Off to bed :)

Well I'm using a native 1600x1200 LCD, which supports all the usual fixed resolutions. and this card works fine with that res via DVI.

From your post before you're using a widescreen Sharp LC-37G4U (1366x768).

Bar I think you're using a widescreen as well.

Generally we're on two different types of screens at the moment. The GT drives my native res monitor just fine at 1600x1200, while it seems to have problems with your widescreen resolutions.

Also :

1600x1200 = 1,920,000 pixels.

1280x1024 = 1,310,720 pixels.

1366x768 = 1,049,088 pixels.

So really the 1366x768 resolution is a lower resolution than 1280x1024. It just has a different aspect ratio.

You're exactly right, however the reason why I believe my problems to be related to the card or the ForceWare drivers is because I get pan & scan mode for everything above 1280x1024. Technically my Sharp TV does not have the capability to display resolutions higher than that and it should rightfully give me it's equivilent of "out of scan range" error. However that NEVER happens and all I get is pan & scan mode.

The only reason why I guess that I get 1368x768 in pan & scan mode is because the ForceWare drivers are thinking that the maximum horizontal resolution of my TV is 1280 and I'm passing it a 1368 signal, which it promptly crops.

ati has that, ' use alternate dvi operational mode'.
does nvidia have something like that ? im just grabing at straws because its
bugging the she-ite out of me that this happens at a common rez setting.

Sepal said:
ati has that, ' use alternate dvi operational mode'.
does nvidia have something like that ? im just grabing at straws because its
bugging the she-ite out of me that this happens at a common rez setting.

Unfortunately not as far as I can tell. However for in the Linux drivers, I do know there is an option called IgnoreEDID which essentially does what I'd like to do. I only wish there was something like that in the ForceWare drivers...

EekTheKat said:
Few questions for you guys unable to hit 1600x1200, which I guess would only be the author of this thread:

Is your monitor properly detected?

Are you trying to force your LCD to run anything besides 60hz?

Ditto, did install the INF for your monitor?

Try to disable 'Hide resolutions this monitor cannot support" that gets you all the resolutions to come up.

FlyinBrian said:

A. Yes, it is1280x1024.
OH NOES! I better send back my BFG 5900 because it runs at 1600x1200 on DVI. :rolleyes: You're a troll.

pxc said:
OH NOES! I better send back my BFG 5900 because it runs at 1600x1200 on DVI. :rolleyes: You're a troll.

Please dont call me a troll, Nothing i said in the previous posts warrants such a label.. perhaps you should review all of my posts in this forum before commenting.

Go to Bfgtech.com look under FAQ for the 6800 GT and you will find the thing thats says what the max dvi output is.. now please from now on do your research before calling someone troll... thank you

FlyinBrian said:
Please dont call me a troll, Nothing i said in the previous posts warrants such a label.. perhaps you should review all of my posts in this forum before commenting.

Go to Bfgtech.com look under FAQ for the 6800 GT and you will find the thing thats says what the max dvi output is.. now please from now on do your research before calling someone troll... thank you
Yes, you are a troll. You first post in this thread was one and your continued spreading of misinformation also makes the label fit. That's not the 6800GT FAQ, that's the general FAQ that's been on the site even before the 5700s/5900s came out. The most current card mentioned is the 5200. Several items are wrong and/or outdated:

http://www.bfgtech.com/faq.html
Q. What size power supply do you suggest for running a BFG graphics card?

A. While a quality 250watt power supply should work, we highly recommend 300watts (or above) with a combined minimum of 165w to be safe.
<the newer cards' spec pages clearly show a minimum of 300W, outdated>

A. Yes, it is 1280x1024.
<wrong/outdated for the MX440, even earlier cards than the 6800 support 1600x1200 on DVI... I'm running that right now on my 5900>

Q. Is there a maximum resolution when using the TV out function? Is it different on an HDTV?

A. The maximum output is 800x600 for a regular TV, for an HDTV two maximum resolutions are supported: 1280x720 pixels in progressive and 1920x1080 pixels in interlaced.
<wrong/outdated for the MX440, the integrated TV encoder on the NV3x series supports 1024x768, earlier cards with certain external encoders supported a max of 800x600... HDTV support is correct, but I don't think BFG ever supported that on the NV3x cards>

And yes, your only appearance in this thread is to try to stir up trouble and spread misinformation, the definition of a troll.

pxc said:
Yes, you are a troll. You first post in this thread was one and your continued spreading of misinformation also makes the label fit. That's not the 6800GT FAQ, that's the general FAQ that's been on the site even before the 5700s/5900s came out. The most current card mentioned is the 5200. Several items are wrong and/or outdated:

http://www.bfgtech.com/faq.html
Q. What size power supply do you suggest for running a BFG graphics card?

A. While a quality 250watt power supply should work, we highly recommend 300watts (or above) with a combined minimum of 165w to be safe.
<the newer cards' spec pages clearly show a minimum of 300W, outdated>

A. Yes, it is 1280x1024.
<wrong/outdated for the MX440, even earlier cards than the 6800 support 1600x1200 on DVI... I'm running that right now on my 5900>

Q. Is there a maximum resolution when using the TV out function? Is it different on an HDTV?

A. The maximum output is 800x600 for a regular TV, for an HDTV two maximum resolutions are supported: 1280x720 pixels in progressive and 1920x1080 pixels in interlaced.
<wrong/outdated for the MX440, the integrated TV encoder on the NV3x series supports 1024x768, earlier cards with certain external encoders supported a max of 800x600... HDTV support is correct, but I don't think BFG ever supported that on the NV3x cards>

And yes, your only appearance in this thread is to try to stir up trouble and spread misinformation, the definition of a troll.

NO i am not a troll i like surfing the forums to help people, and i wasnt aware their FAQ was out of DATE so i am sorry for that, did i do it intentionally certainly not... so stop labeling me as a troll... read a couple of the other posts.. I am one of the nicest guys you would ever meet and i love to help people..

pxc said:
Yes, you are a troll. .

First of all you are not a Mod of this forum therefore you have no business posting to other users like this. If you feel an individual on this forum is being a troll then your place is to report it to a Mod or Admin and let them handle it.

Second no where on the BFG FAQ does it have any kind of statement saying that is dated material, therefore the casual person takes that information as being current. It's up to BFG to update and/or correct that information. Now if you wish to provide added input to point out that material is dated, great please do. However do it without jumping on the back of another user. He posted the current information on the website. If you want to get pissed at someone about it, e-mail BFG and let them know they need to update the page because it's providing misinformation to people reading it.

Installing monitor drivers always helps. The monitor DDC or EDID data line do not always work, its always a little conservative with settings. Unchecking "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" also helps (It simply means you are running out of bounds of the specifications for either the monitor or videocard)

1600x1200 is a pretty standard resolution, its not like 1400x1050, which some laptops like to run at. I get the feeling it was just not included as a standard resolution (because of the greater possiblity of screen corruption.)

But it could very easily just be a videocard BIOS limitation. Take for example the Radeon 9700AIW http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9700/aiw9700pro/specs.html It specifically stated that with the first revision, the maximum 3D gaming resolution is 1600x1200 @ 60hz, yet I've run up to 2048x1536 @ 75hz no problems. I'm thinking ATi did it because they knew that they would start getting complaints from people about the image quality at those high resolutions.

If anyone has Sisoft sandra and can run the "Video System Information" you can check to see if the default display modes are there. IE:

Mode 0 320x240 256 colours (8-bit) 60hz ..... for mine all the way to ....
Mode 188 1792x1344 16million+ Truecolour (32-bit) 85 hz

damn, this has me worried now. I just got my 6800gt from BFG in the mail today. I'm still at work so I can't test this, but i have a 2001FP. It better f'n work, grrrr.

damn, this has me worried now. I just got my 6800gt from BFG in the mail today. I'm still at work so I can't test this, but i have a 2001FP. It better f'n work, grrrr.

It works. I run this very exact combo and it works.

I agree with ZenOps. Make sure to install the latest INF drivers for your monitor. On my P90f CRT, not installing the INF drivers limits me to 1024x768 with a max of 80hz when the monitor can actually run 120Hz at that resolution.

EekTheKat said:
It works. I run this very exact combo and it works.
I think others have the same success you do, but what do I know? I only run DVI 1600x1200 on my BFG card. :rolleyes:

I have the same problem with the BFG 6800 GT OC and Samsung 240t monitor not going beyond 1280 x 1024. Borrowed a friends Dell 2001 fp . WORKs GREAT at 1600 x 1200. Problem must be with the Samsung monitor. DUH

gt3t said:
I have the same problem with the BFG 6800 GT OC and Samsung 240t monitor not going beyond 1280 x 1024. Borrowed a friends Dell 2001 fp . WORKs GREAT at 1600 x 1200. Problem must be with the Samsung monitor. DUH

That is GOOD news. 4 hours till it's time to leave. DAMN IT!

If I uncheck Hide modes this monitor cannot support I see an option for 1920x1200 - which I think was the native res of the Samsung 240t.

The highest available res via DVI is 2048x1536 if I uncheck the hide modes this monitor cannot support box - given that's over the native res of my 2001fp all I could see is a 1600x1200 virtual window of the huge 2048x1536 desktop.

Of course, your problem with that monitor can still be all related to that EDID problem previous posters had.

Funny thing is, I know a fairly proficient tech with the Dell flatpanel who just got the GT and he says that 16x12 does not show up as available with his, he can only get 16x12 inside a 1280x1024 virtual desktop. He does have one of the first early versions of the flatpanel, and I'm thinking it he just has to force it.

So does this issue only apply with the BFG GT's,or the Ultra's also?I searched everywhere and i cant seem to find the Ultra's max dvi res.Right now im using a 17" via vga cable and the max its capable is 1280x1024.But i almost ordered a 2001fp.

I would like to reiterate what I said initially and added in the post:

1. My Samsung 240T displays at 1920x1200 on the DVI port on an ATI 9800XT

2. BEFORE I installed any nVidia drivers, it was running at 1600x1200 using some generic vga driver built into WinXP. All the various resolutions beneath it as well were available on the DVI port.

3. AFTER I installed the BFG drivers (6121) and also with the 6181 drivers, I could NOT get the video card to do ANY resolution other than 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024. (unchecking hide unsupported modes, using powerstrip to create ini files etc. did not help)

4. In the nVidia Digital Panel, flat panel tab, the bottom line reads that the maximum my monitor is capable of is 1920x1200. (I think it's reading the EDID correctly)

I'm glad people are making use of this topic but I think it's starting to drift a bit. I'd like to make one point. If I can get the panel to 1600x1200 without using any driver at all... how could it soley be the problem of the Samsung 240T that with the drivers installed it can't get any resolution other than the four i've listed?

It works perfectly with the ATI 9700P and the 9800XT.

I think that even though it works fine with the Dell 2001fp there could be either BIOS or driver issues with the 6800 GT that prevent it from working properly with a widescreen display at the least and from posts I'm reading elsewhere perhaps a few of the 4:3 standard aspect as well.

Thank you EekTheKat for pointing out that it works on your combo (repeatedly
:p). Thank you pxc for being so helpful :rolleyes: . Thanks to everyone else for getting some of the technical info. I know the card will work at 1600x1200 because it worked before I installed any driver. The specs of the card say it'll go well beyond my 1920x1200 res as well. I suspect that if we get whatever fixed that's causing me not to get 1600x1200 with the driver installed that my 1920x1200 will also work (and all the other resolutions between that I'm missing). That's what I'm trying to get help on here.

Back