NVIDIA DRIVERS 301.10 WHQL Ready for GTX680

So the frame rate limiter is there but only for the 680 , oh well

NVIDIA Frame Rate Target – dynamically adjusts frame rate to a user specified target. Support for this feature is enabled via third party applications via NVAPI. Visit to learn more.

AMD needs to take notice of this, official WHQL driver day of launch. No beta drivers here, a continuation of the ForceWare series already in place.

This is the kind of driver support I like to see.

And available before the launch time even, Kudos for NV on driver support on day 1.

That's my sentiment also. Sad that AMD still lags behind in the driver department after so many years of experience in developing cards.

That's my sentiment also. Sad that AMD still lags behind in the driver department after so many years of experience in developing cards.

Has it gotten worse since AMD took over ATI?

My HD5770s worked well for me.

AMD needs to take notice of this, official WHQL driver day of launch. No beta drivers here, a continuation of the ForceWare series already in place.

AMEN!

Wake the fuck up AMD

are these new drivers hardware specific.. or would they have anything to offer for older cards .. like the gtx460?

Precisely why I decided to wait for nVidia.

Its one thing to have a great hardware, but drivers are so important that I need to be convinced that my product will be properly supported throughout its entire usage. Driver support is something that cannot be ignored.

Of course the 680 performance and price pretty much leaves me with one 1 logical option :D But I really hope AMD will step up on their driver support side of things.

he he, thats why i still use a 32bit OS, don't have to deal with the stupid F8 crap on boot with beta drivers :D (not by choice though since i'm stuck using an am2 board and i don't see a reason wasting money on DDR2 ram) comes in handy when Nvidia decides to wait 3+ months before releasing a WHQL driver but 3 beta drivers with the SLI profiles i need between them.

kudo's for them getting WHQL drivers on release day but i wouldn't completely paint them as being innocent. especially when you consider the last WHQL drivers before the 295.73 drivers released feb. 21st was the 285.62 drivers on oct. 24th. with 4 beta drivers between then.

Last edited:

Ya well, that's why I are nV fanboy. Their drivers are just better, no two ways about it. They support their hardware better and that means it is more useful. Some of it is minor things, like better per app control, WHQL drivers on day one, and so on. However it is also having faster and more stable drives.

Speed is mostly an OpenGL thing and no that doesn't matter to many games, but it does sometimes and matter to pro stuff. A game example would be Brink. Now never mind that it is a massive piece of shit, on my 5870, the game ran a bit stuttery and couldn't do a solid 60fps. On my 570? No problems at all.

However proper not crashing drivers when it comes to GPGPU are really big and only nVidia seems to have them. So at work I use Sony Vegas to do video editing. Sony is going all in on GPU processing. In version 9 they tried it out, accelerating AVC encoding (CUDA only). In version 10 they added more accelerated encoding and decoding and some effects, initially CUDA only but later a patch added OpenCL. Now in 11 it is most of the effect, probably half of the encoding and decoding, composition and so on, CUDA and OpenCL.

So I get the 11 upgrade at work, where I have a 5770, and try out the new (for that card) features. Seems to work a lot of shit is a lot faster... But it crashes all the time. Seriously I have it take a dump on me doing simple things like moving titles around on the timeline. I'm getting all kinds of pissed off at Sony... when a little voice in my head says "Maybe it's the card." So I shut down GPU acceleration (it is all or nothing in Vegas) and no crashes. I then test with an nVidia card, no crashes. Right then out with the ATi card, order new nVidia card. Nice n' stable after that.

Then, a few weeks later, Sony turns of a shit ton of accelerated effects for ATi cards (they go CPU only) due to crashing saying they'll reenable them when the drivers are fixed.

Good hardware and all that, but if there isn't the software to make it run smooth, is not so useful.

Ya well, that's why I are nV fanboy. Their drivers are just better, no two ways about it. They support their hardware better and that means it is more useful. Some of it is minor things, like better per app control, WHQL drivers on day one, and so on. However it is also having faster and more stable drives.

Speed is mostly an OpenGL thing and no that doesn't matter to many games, but it does sometimes and matter to pro stuff. A game example would be Brink. Now never mind that it is a massive piece of shit, on my 5870, the game ran a bit stuttery and couldn't do a solid 60fps. On my 570? No problems at all.

However proper not crashing drivers when it comes to GPGPU are really big and only nVidia seems to have them. So at work I use Sony Vegas to do video editing. Sony is going all in on GPU processing. In version 9 they tried it out, accelerating AVC encoding (CUDA only). In version 10 they added more accelerated encoding and decoding and some effects, initially CUDA only but later a patch added OpenCL. Now in 11 it is most of the effect, probably half of the encoding and decoding, composition and so on, CUDA and OpenCL.

So I get the 11 upgrade at work, where I have a 5770, and try out the new (for that card) features. Seems to work a lot of shit is a lot faster... But it crashes all the time. Seriously I have it take a dump on me doing simple things like moving titles around on the timeline. I'm getting all kinds of pissed off at Sony... when a little voice in my head says "Maybe it's the card." So I shut down GPU acceleration (it is all or nothing in Vegas) and no crashes. I then test with an nVidia card, no crashes. Right then out with the ATi card, order new nVidia card. Nice n' stable after that.

Then, a few weeks later, Sony turns of a shit ton of accelerated effects for ATi cards (they go CPU only) due to crashing saying they'll reenable them when the drivers are fixed.

Good hardware and all that, but if there isn't the software to make it run smooth, is not so useful.

i know how that goes.. vegas + GPGPU is a complete friggin joke for AMD and Nvidia cards..my roommate wasted a ton of money on vegas 11 only to end up going right back to v9.

are these new drivers hardware specific.. or would they have anything to offer for older cards .. like the gtx460?

Looks to me like they only support the 680 right now, based on the "Supported Products" section.

I wanna know when Adaptive VSync and TXAA will make it to the 500 series. :D

And available before the launch time even, Kudos for NV on driver support on day 1.

Would it of made any difference if the AMD drivers were WHQL driver day of launch with the same CF issues that they had.

Which is more important good Beta or a bad WHQL, but because its WHQL that's still better ?.

WHQL or Beta by them self means nothing if not backup up by how they work (remember the NV WHQL card killers) , its only in theory that WHQL should be less problematic and more fully tested.

Precisely one of the reasons I only buy Nvidia products.

i know how that goes.. vegas + GPGPU is a complete friggin joke for AMD and Nvidia cards..my roommate wasted a ton of money on vegas 11 only to end up going right back to v9.

No it is great for nVidia cards. Got a 560 and it works great now.

So the frame rate limiter is there but only for the 680 , oh well

NVIDIA Frame Rate Target – dynamically adjusts frame rate to a user specified target. Support for this feature is enabled via third party applications via NVAPI. Visit to learn more.

You can enable it on any card on since the 295 (perhaps older) drivers (it was a hidden feature you have to use the nvidia inspector to make it visible). It takes 20 seconds to do. :D

used a modded inf file and trying these on a GTX460 .. gpu folding fine so far .. haven't gamed with them yet though

Do any of the new features work?

hmm ..dono .. just played TF2 and tearing was way less then normal... and F@H gpu client doesn't go into sleep mode anymore...

not much of a gamer ... just an occasional session of TF2 .. so .. I give these guys a thumbs up for my GTX460 for what I do.:)

About to become a new Nvidia owner, as I should be getting my gtx 680 from Newegg on Tuesday. :) Do you guys think I should download this now, or wait until I get the card into my pc first, and then download afterwards?

up to you ... I'd grab it and then install it right away after you put the card in your rig.. it really doesn't matter though

About to become a new Nvidia owner, as I should be getting my gtx 680 from Newegg on Tuesday. :) Do you guys think I should download this now, or wait until I get the card into my pc first, and then download afterwards?

I'd have them on your system. Reason is when new card goes in, resolution goes to crap since there are no drivers for the card and it is standard SVGA. Makes surfing the web a pain. So have them on the desktop so that you can log in, install, and then be good to go.

Quick question for those of you with GTX 680s and triple monitors. When using the new desktop features (snapping to monitor and taskbar on middle screen), do you get any of the following issues (that I get with my GTX460 SLI setup, without bezel compensation):

- Taskbar 1 pixel away from right and bottom of middle screen
- Fullscreen window 1 pixel away from right of any screen
- Fullscreen window not in proper fullscreen format (i.e. it's just like a normal window but enlarged to the size of the monitor, rather than hiding borders and having an uncurved top)
- Icons on desktop align partially between monitors rather than how they used to
- Aero peek on taskbar doesn't show the application preview, just the list when Aero is disabled

This could sway me towards buying a new GTX 680, I'm looking for as many reasons as I can ;)

EDIT: These issues haven't been fixed with the latest 301.24 beta driver for all cards.

Last edited:
Back