Nvidia needs to really suck less.

Kaiga

Gawd
I want mah AM3/DDR3/SLI board now! :mad:
Anyone have any info or rumors on release dates for it?
I don't want to buy an AM2/AM3 hybrid board with DDR2, I hate playing the waiting game with DDR3 and SLI, but I don't really have the money to build an i7 setup no matter how badly I would want one.

And why is this related to nvidia??

because they need to release a SLI chipset for AMD cpu's / socket AM3, or get their board partner on board to actually make a half decent mobo...

Kaiga, why are you so obsessed with SLI? if you dont have the money for a core i7 rig (neither do i, so i completely understand), isnt SLI a bit on the high end side of town? what levels of performance do you need that a GTX 285 wont suffice? (and then, the SLI-on-a-card gtx 295 will work on AMD mobos too...)

because they need to release a SLI chipset for AMD cpu's / socket AM3, or get their board partner on board to actually make a half decent mobo...

Kaiga, why are you so obsessed with SLI? if you dont have the money for a core i7 rig (neither do i, so i completely understand), isnt SLI a bit on the high end side of town? what levels of performance do you need that a GTX 285 wont suffice? (and then, the SLI-on-a-card gtx 295 will work on AMD mobos too...)

nvidia does not "need" to release it, AMD has to convince nvidia to do it.

@Kaiga, if want to enjoy SLI then you need a core i7 platform.. none of AMD's offerings even remotely comes close to it.

@Kaiga, if want to enjoy SLI then you need a core i7 platform.. none of AMD's offerings even remotely comes close to it.

you mean to say that the 940BE doesnt come remotely close to i7? last time i checked 10-15% is well within "remotely close", especially once you take performance/dollar into account.

Im not saying a 940BE can go head to head with a i7 965, but to suggest a phenom II will seriously hold an SLI rig back is just bullshit..

whats the point? nvidia is intels bitch..atleast thats the way x58 makes them out to be.

Nvid gets licensing fees though and since the merger of ATI/AMD it's a whole different competitive atmosphere than before.

you mean to say that the 940BE doesnt come remotely close to i7? last time i checked 10-15% is well within "remotely close", especially once you take performance/dollar into account.

Im not saying a 940BE can go head to head with a i7 965, but to suggest a phenom II will seriously hold an SLI rig back is just bullshit..

Feel free to believe in what you want ;)

Feel free to believe in what you want ;)
He has a point you know...

If you take a look at Futuremark's numbers, a Phenom II has the second highest 3DMark05 score, and the highest 3DMark06 score. Seems they can keep up with i7 (even overclocked) just fine.

He has a point you know...

If you take a look at Futuremark's numbers, a Phenom II has the second highest 3DMark05 score, and the highest 3DMark06 score. Seems they can keep up with i7 (even overclocked) just fine.

But 3dmark06 is a canned benchmark, so its doesnt translate into the real world, plus those highest scores were suicide-runs on Liquid Nitrogen.

I dont mean to dog AMD, but I wish they had a Phenom that could challenge the i7 and drive prices down.

the reason you probably dont see an am3 board with a nvidia chipset is that nvidia sucks at making chipsets.. last decent chipsets they ever made were the NF4 and NF3.. everything after that has been a piece of junk on the amd and intel side..

the reason you probably dont see an am3 board with a nvidia chipset is that nvidia sucks at making chipsets.. last decent chipsets they ever made were the NF4 and NF3.. everything after that has been a piece of junk on the amd and intel side..

The Nvidia 8200, 8300, 9300 and 9400 chipsets have been pretty good in the HTPC department. So Nvidia can make good chipsets.

The Nvidia 8200, 8300, 9300 and 9400 chipsets have been pretty good in the HTPC department. So Nvidia can make good chipsets.

they can make good IGP's.. still cant make a good chipset.. and even then its just a g92 gpu slapped onto a motherboard.. nothing original about that.. ive already gone through 3 am2 nvidia based boards and 2 am2+ nvidia based boards.. so far my longest lasting board is my 780g which is still kicking after 6 months..

But 3dmark06 is a canned benchmark, so its doesnt translate into the real world, plus those highest scores were suicide-runs on Liquid Nitrogen.

I dont mean to dog AMD, but I wish they had a Phenom that could challenge the i7 and drive prices down.

And those runs on the I7 weren't suicde LN2 runs? 3dmark06 as we all know is heavily cpu dependent. Those P2 chips are pretty impressive and competitive with I7 in some apps.

I do agree if you really feel that you need sli then go with an I7. Those Nvidia chipsets are not worth the hassle and definetly not worth the money that they try and charge for them. I know that I will never own another Nforce board.

And those runs on the I7 weren't suicde LN2 runs? 3dmark06 as we all know is heavily cpu dependent. Those P2 chips are pretty impressive and competitive with I7 in some apps.

I do agree if you really feel that you need sli then go with an I7. Those Nvidia chipsets are not worth the hassle and definetly not worth the money that they try and charge for them. I know that I will never own another Nforce board.

I meant the validity of 3dmark should not determine which chip is better, but I do agree that nvidia makes crap now. For my Kuma HTPC rig, I went with an AMD chipset and couldnt be happier with it.

Like I said, I would LOVE to have an i7 platform. I'm an AMD fanboi, but I also happen to love Intel's i7.
I want an AM3 board with SLI because I already have 2 9800GX2s I want to throw on there.
As of now I can build an AM3 system for a good few hundred dollars less than an i7 system. Besides the stuff I do will only be laughed at by the Phenom, so an i7 is extreme overkill right now.

I want a DDR3 AM3 board because AMD's stuff takes a lot of advantage of DDR3 memory.

didnt nvidia stop making mobos?
Chipsets, not the mobos.

NV should just give up on chipsets and open the SLi standard to AMD and Intel...the last chipset they put out that was worth a damn was NForce 4 and now they're totally eclipsed by 790FX, X58.

NV should just give up on chipsets and open the SLi standard to AMD and Intel...the last chipset they put out that was worth a damn was NForce 4 and now they're totally eclipsed by 790FX, X58.

where do people come up with this stuff? i'm assuming you never tried the 590 sli chipset?

Why you want something that isn't out right now? I thought the option where you can choose from available offers was enough.

My daughter loves her msi 6150 motherboard with a 5000x2. Her intel celeron 1.7 was a little slow for the sims 2 lol.

where do people come up with this stuff? i'm assuming you never tried the 590 sli chipset?

you mean the dead 590 sli chipset on the motherboard in my closet? yeah.. pretty much sums that one up.. nvidia chipsets on amd boards have always sucked and will always suck..

you mean the dead 590 sli chipset on the motherboard in my closet? yeah.. pretty much sums that one up.. nvidia chipsets on amd boards have always sucked and will always suck..

wow. great stretch in logic. you had a bad spot with the 590 sli so all 590 sli's must be junk, right? back when the k7's were popular you really chose the via chipset kt333 or kt666 over the nforce 2? when the k8 socket 939's were popular you really thought the via k8t890 or the ati rd480/rd580 chipsets were more stable than the nforce4's.

Back