Nvidia PureVideo and DTS?

Equalizer

Limp Gawd
I need a sound card for my htpc that will allow me to play DTS through my receiver. I was looking at BlueGears/HDA Digital XMYSTIQUE7.1 ,but it is not listed on Nvidias website as supported hardware for their Purevideo dvd decoder. Anyone, know if this card will work in DTS with Nvidia PureVideo? If not, does anyone know of a supported sound card that will let me decode DTS to my reciever?

Any sound card with a digital out will let you do it. There should be an option in the decoder properties to set your speaker type or spdif passthrough. Enable spdif and hey, presto, the audio stream gets sent straight to the receiver in DD/dts/whatever format it is on the disc.

Well I tried that over the weekend with my onboard audio using the spdif and it was only decoding dolby pro-logic. I then stuck in a turtle beach riviera with the spdif out and was getting the same exact problem. I am using the 30 day trial of the nvidia purevideo decoder but it says you get the full version with the trial download. I don't want to purchase the decoder until I'm sure it will allow dts.

Does the sound card have to support DTS decoding in order to get DTS surround when plugged into a receiver via the spdif connector?

what are your speakers and receiver? I only ask because there is a debate over whether DTS offers any real sound enhancement on less that professional quality speakers. might not be worth the expense/effort.

It's a pioneer receiver and polk audio speakers. My equipment isn't top of the line by any means but there is a very noticable difference when dts is on. When I'm playing a dvd on my home theatre setup the sound is decoding in dts and there is a very noticable seperation in rear channel. When the htpc is feeding the audio signal to the receiver it won't decode anything higher then pro-logic. I'm just stumped as to why it won't play in DTS through the htpc.

so you are not getting dolby digital or DTS? sounds like you need to enable the SPDIF out on the sound card driver. what media player are you using?

No I'm not getting any digital sound. The spidf out on the sound card is enabled becuse thats the only thing feeding a signal to the receiver from the sound card and im getting pro-logic. I'm using Media center 2005 and Nvidia purevideo decoder to play movies. No other applications have been installed.

Have you enabled the option for S/PDIF pass through in the NVidia decoders? Most DVD programs have this option somewhere in the audio tab.

The digital out will send a stereo signal (front l+r) unless the spdif option is checked. I haven't used the nvidia filters for a while, but the option is there somewhere.

Bighitter said:
Have you enabled the option for S/PDIF pass through in the NVidia decoders? Most DVD programs have this option somewhere in the audio tab.

that's why I asked what playback software you were using. unfortunately I am not sure how to do it with MCE. there should be a way to do it through the "sounds and devices" item in your control panel, but I don't have a PC with SPDIF out in front of me here at work. either poke around or check out www.thegreenbutton.com to find the specific method. what you are looking for is a speaker setup or an option to enable spdfi passthrough.

When you play a DVD and use the PureVideo decoder, you should get an PureVideo icon in the systray. Double click on this icon and go to the audio setup. Then select "SPDIF" and "connected to a reciver"(or something like that).

Back