Nvidia vs ATI in ease of changing Gamma or Brightness

WickedWeasel

Limp Gawd
I am using an nvidia card now, and I noticed all of the drivers since 170? and up no longer have the small Color Correction at the bottom of the task bar. I have lost hope that nvidia will ever bring that back.

The reason I use color correction is that my desktop is usually dark because it is easier on the eyes. When I am surfing, or watching trailers, I usually quickly open up color correction and adjust the brightness or gamma, and when I am done, I cancel to bring the destop back to being dark. Color correction at the task bar is much more efficient for this adjustment because it is small and I can keep it open while doing what I need to do temporarily. Opening up nvidia control panel takes up the entire screen and it forces the fan to spin up to 100% which is very noisy.

I have never had an ATI/AMD card, but that may change.

Question: Does the ATI/AMD card have a feature that is equivalent to the nvidia color correction that allows me to have QUICK access to make temporary adjustments by opening up a small pop up menu?

Yes you can. You can adjust the color, gamma, brightness, contrast etc. and create a profile. Call it dark and select only color for the profile. Make same adjustments, but for a brighter view and create a profile selecting only color. Call it medium. Make one more, but with your brightest settings that you wish and call it bright. Again, select only color.

Now you will have 3 profiles with 3 different steps changing only color, brightess etc. thats adjusted after your preferences. These can be accessed by right-click on ATI icon in icon tray. Takes 2 seconds to select your presets.

Personally, I don't wish to call it color correction, since all these settings are bad for your colors, gamma (especially tonal seperation) and brightness range. Your screen has a set range and gamma curve, Any settings are limiting this.

profilemanager.jpg

profileselection.jpg

Last edited:
yeah what ever did happen to the nvidia taskbar icon?

I miss being able to enable multiple displays or change color configurations off the taskbar, instead now you have to load the full control panel and go out of your way to do it :(

Yes, I'd also like to know why Nvidia killed the taskbar icon from Vista onwards...

At least they didn't kill the right click context menu, completely.

It was probably to emphasize the nVidia control panel application.

I stopped using Vista because they did not have the brightness/color correction GRAPH thing in vista. Only in Windows XP. I needed that graph to get the brightness just right on my Westinghouse 37W3.

I plan on buying a 5870 as soon as it comes out. Do the ATI drivers have a brightness/color correction GRAPH menu. Where you can change the points on the graph?

I stopped using Vista because they did not have the brightness/color correction GRAPH thing in vista. Only in Windows XP. I needed that graph to get the brightness just right on my Westinghouse 37W3.

I plan on buying a 5870 as soon as it comes out. Do the ATI drivers have a brightness/color correction GRAPH menu. Where you can change the points on the graph?

Not in vista at least. I assume you mean gamma curve correction?

Don't use it. It creates banding.

Not in vista at least. I assume you mean gamma curve correction?

Don't use it. It creates banding.

Yea, I use it so I can actualy see things that are dark. To much visual information is lost in the blacks and pulling out the center spot on the graph and dragging the bottom up to 0.8 in the nvidia drivers make it so I can see those things.

I aboslutely cannot live without it. I'm not curving the graph. I remove the point in the center.

Well I got the ATI 5870. You cannot change the points on the graph. I only want to move the bottom left point up the graph a bit. So I can see things in the black easier. Adjusting the brightness does not move the graph properly. Nor does the gamma or contrast. Why the fuck did I buy this..... I can't see anything in blacks anymore... i'm fucked. ATI driver bullshit rearing its ugly head again and i've only had the card in for 5 mins.

Back