OCZ Plati rev.2 3200 TCCD (1 GB kit) OC/heat issues

el rolio

2[H]4U
hey all. got some questions, need some answers.

i've got me some new ram as you can see from the title, and my specs in my sig. it seems to me i have a heat problem with these TCCD sticks. all this time i thought that BH-5 ram (which i had before) were the ones to need active cooling cuz of hte volts they took etc, but right now, it would seem im hitting a OC and voltage wall with my ram.

i cant run at 250 mhz on the ram with more than 2.6v as it gets too hot and errors out on memtest. and because i cant run more voltage, i cant tighten my timings. so im currently running at 2.5-4-4-10 for my stability.

am i correct in thinking that anything above 2.6v at this speed range will overheat the chips causing them to be unstable?

is there something i dont know about TCCD memory overclocking? need help from the experienced TCCD guys. hopefully those on a msi neo2 plati mobo as well. i say that because to get dual channel the sticks have to be beside each other, which makes their heatspreaders touch.... making them HARDER to cool with regualr case airflow (my reason for upgrading from the bh-5 ram)

tccd puts out a decent amount of heat, even at lower voltages :p

tccd chips themselves are rated for 2.5-3-3-8 at 250mhz out of samsung's fab. if you can't do this easily, something is seriously wrong with your tccd, or you actually have tcc5 :D
also, a firm opinion of mine: ram deserves active cooling. get a fan on it. your ram will love you for it.

(cf)Eclipse said:

tccd chips themselves are rated for 2.5-3-3-8 at 250mhz out of samsung's fab. if you can't do this easily, something is seriously wrong with your tccd, or you actually have tcc5 :D
also, a firm opinion of mine: ram deserves active cooling. get a fan on it. your ram will love you for it.
Sorry to hijack the thread here, but it might be beneficial for all. :)

I've seen you speak of active cooling a few times, and I've been thinking about doing that once I get my 2x1GB sticks. I was thinkin of the Zalman fan bracket and a nice 120mm fan (totally overkill, but I figure... What the hell?). Problem is that my XP-90 is sitting right there, and a fan wouldn't be able to blow straight down on the RAM even if I turned the XP-90 because of where MSI placed the CPU on the K8N Neo4-F. So... What's your best bet for getting direct airflow over the RAM short of cutting another hole in the window of my case (Cheiftec... This is what Chenming is selling it as now, but mine has a fanhole in the window between that blows across my 6600GT)?

1_4.jpg

that picture should say enough ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:

hmm as i wrote this and thought about this some more, i was thinkin the same thing.
enter revenant's fan-gift to me:
smallfan.jpg

so yea gonna try it out meng. brb phone call n lost train of thought

(cf)Eclipse said:
1_4.jpg

that picture should say enough ;)
Oh, I just really don't like you right now... [Homer drool...]

I'm reserving watercooling for my next system, which I'm just gonna build from the ground up. Being that I just upgraded this one... Maybe not for a while. LOL

So, what do you suggest for those of us with something like this?
caseguts.jpg

Never realized how fast the shutter speed is on this cam... That's the system I'm typing from, so the fans are obviously spinning.

can you get 2x40mm fans and twist tie them together, then use rubberbands to hold them down over the slots?

why dont you put up a fan temporarily and see helps with the errors in memtest. i personally dont think you absolutely need it. but thats me :)

tried the small fan. no changes....

have a vantec stealth 120 in there now... dont seem to make a diff either. no immediate memtest errors goin back to 2.5-3-3 but get the immediate super pi crash so still no go :(

Have you tried those sticks in another machine?

My ram runs at 30c with no active cooling on the same mobo as you and I use 2.85 volts. Altough I am running (have run) every type of ram besides OCZ none of it gets that hot at that voltage.

I am running a direct temp probe just to be sure

well, no other machine to try in :(

i mean, hot to the TOUCH it would seem is how it gets above. to me this whole "fan to cool the rev2's" was a nice simple theory, i mena it kinda explains why they dont like more volts, but wow.

+ its super cold now so ambients are crazy low. i dunno if i need to set the orientation of the fans a certain way or not, ive tried a few diff angles with the 50mm and the 120mm

anyhoo thanks for commenting bill, now im really buggin hahaha :confused:

Back