OCZ Vertex 4 256GB & enabling AHCI mode?

feo

Limp Gawd
Hi guys

Just got a new OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD. Basically just cloned my Windows 7 partition onto it and fixed the MBR and now up and running.

I ran AS SSD benchmark but the numbers seem low (will re-run if you guys want a screenshot).

After googling a bit, I see that AHCI mode needs to be enabled in the BIOS. There's also some registry tweak that needs to be done beforehand. See here ...

Question is, is the tweak safe to do?

Also, do I need to install any other drivers from my motherboard manufacturer site beforehand? (mobo is an MSI P55-GD65, and yes I know it's only SATA2, it will be replaced soon with a SATA 3 board)

Thanks

You are most likely getting low numbers because you don't have the partition alignment correct.

[LYL]Homer;1038683600 said:
There's an automated fix from Microsoft as well, does the same thing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Then enable AHCI in the BIOS. Some older mobo's don't have AHCI listed, then use the RAID setting even if you have no RAID set up.

Sorted.

I've edited the registry value and changed the BIOS setting to AHCI and the benchmark numbers seem much better. About half of what they should be but that's because I'm on a motherboard that's only got SATA2 3Gb/s ports.

(OFF TOPIC: Question on that, should I try to find a Socket 1156 motherboard that supports SATA3 or should I rather go for something newer like 1155 boards? Ideally I'd want USB3 ports too because this mobo doesn't have those either)

You are most likely getting low numbers because you don't have the partition alignment correct.

Alignment is correct. The offset is 1,048,576 so that's divisible by 4,096.

Back