OCZ Vertex Pro 2

nothing more than a data compression trick in controller algorithm, its 4k random read is still worse than intel.

You have to remember that this is very early hardware, and things are bound to change. The speed of the NAND chips and firmware are bound to be tweaked. And, if Anand's reviews are accurate, it's already a faster drive in actual usage(only Intel's SLC drive is constantly faster), outside of benchmarks, mostly because of the faster random writes. I'm sure Intel's G3 will be a monster, but it's not due out for a while. The biggest surprise to me is that it's not using Indilinx's controller.

indilinx controller has higher failure rate based on available online user reviews, while this sandforce controller is unknown for its hardware reliability. for ocz's overpriced products in past and poor reliability, i would wait and see sufficient user reviews before trying any ocz new SSD products.

tentatively this will NOT look like competition to Intel-E series in the enteprise.

Enterprise buyers value the minimum 10000 to 100000 write cycles.

The Anandtech article SandForce claims save cost by using 5K write-cycle flash. If I am paying premium in enterprise, they value engineering assurance and not believe.

Even Intel-E has issues (more than firmware). For fair testing that will be against heavy weight in the SSD market meant for enterprise, do not perform test when new, perform test after your fully filled the drives several rounds with data, then start the enterprise workload benchmark.

Finally, my apology I actually do not have SSD. The opinion comes from reading elsewhere, example STAC whitepaper.

Last edited:
I suppose it all depends on how SLC prices decline over time. If MLC gets cheaper faster, as seems likely, the sandforce design philosophy makes perfect sense-- compress/decompress data at the controller level to write less to the flash and use larger quantities of lower-quality storage with huge parity spaces for recovery.

Ultimately, my feeling is that single-level cell flash is on its way to being obsolete. MLC's various deficiencies are being addressed one by one, and each generation is markedly superior to the one before. Eventually we may even see more than 2 bits stored per cell to lower costs even further, with greater redundancy and more mature error correction making it all work. Really neat stuff.

I agree for SSD to be viable for the masses, MLC is inevitable.

However, I suspect long term product range may split just like DRAM

Take DRAM. I maybe pushing argument a bit but I think majority tech users are aware what ECC means. Even today, retail 1GB-ECC and Non-ECC price differs by only $6.50 including shipping. Google is as reputable as you can get an entity that put out technical paper (with others) on actual DRAM errors on the field. Yet today typical performance seeking buyers will purchase and push their clock/ram speed to the maximum with minimal desire to even think about spending a few extra dollars on correction. I personally do not have any problem with that. I am just trying to explain current reality per DRAM.

So how does that relate? I suspect it will become just like DRAM. For people who really care about correctness, their will pay the price for the enterprise-grade-all-features-multi-redundant-reliable-system+SSD, thus "enterprise-level-pricing" making the cost saving argument moot. or if they do not care, or care-less, then perhaps they just have to accept a less perfect world and live with a cheaper option as long as all parties accept the facts.

For me, I put the money where my mouth is, I bought an X3 720BE, DDR2-ECC while it is still cheap, consumer 790GX ecc board to save cost, best of all world within my meager budget. :)

Last edited:
indilinx controller has higher failure rate based on available online user reviews, while this sandforce controller is unknown for its hardware reliability. for ocz's overpriced products in past and poor reliability, i would wait and see sufficient user reviews before trying any ocz new SSD products.

How long have you dreamed about working for Intel?

tentatively this will NOT look like competition to Intel-E series in the enteprise.

Enterprise buyers value the minimum 10000 to 100000 write cycles.

The Anandtech article SandForce claims save cost by using 5K write-cycle flash. If I am paying premium in enterprise, they value engineering assurance and not believe.

Even Intel-E has issues (more than firmware). For fair testing that will be against heavy weight in the SSD market meant for enterprise, do not perform test when new, perform test after your fully filled the drives several rounds with data, then start the enterprise workload benchmark.

Finally, my apology I actually do not have SSD. The opinion comes from reading elsewhere, example STAC whitepaper.

I don't remember seeing this when I read the Anandtech article "5K write-cycle flash" This worries me.

And this drive will be targeting the Intel E for sure they said it will be expensive at release with a regular consumer version to follow.

To clarify query on flash cycle, I re-read to double-check and also save a copy for my reference. You can find on Page 4 of the preview article where it puts up graphs to demonstrate how sf is comparing to others. There are 2 locations where 5K Cycle Flash is used as example.

If pricing is reasonable, it is not a problem as I think you get what you pay for. Obviously if it is the same price as other SLC enterprise drive, I would be more inclined to choose the 10K-100K cycle product I suppose. Pricing is really the key.

Last edited:
never seen ocz had a reasonable price, micron c300 might be a better bet as its performance beats all available ssd including this vertex pro.

OCZ has nice pricing, especially with the Summit line. And, the Vertex 30GB for less than a $100 is a great deal for a boot drive, since it's a better overall performer than it's competition, the Kingston 40GB. The 128GB Vertex and Vertex EX are a bit of a different story though, when you consider the Intel G2. Most of that has to deal with the fact they're using an older process for NAND chips, which means they have to pay more for material cost.

especially with the Summit line.

ocz has just discontinued summit. other lines are overpriced which cannot compete with better performance intel G2.

to give you a sense how ocz overpriced summit series, just check newegg.com 60G ocz summit, which is actually same thing as cosair P64, both are rebadged samsung 64G SSD, the price? ocz summit $235 vs corsair P64 $209. how can ocz compete with others?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227451
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233092

Last edited:
Back