*** Official Catalyst 5.1 Thread ***

W1zzard

[H]ard|Gawd
  • Men of Valor: Buffering issues are no longer noticed when playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ 8500 or 9100 series installed
  • Myst URU Ages Beyond Myst: Attempting to turn 180 degrees and head towards the barb wire fence displayed within the game no longer results in the system failing to respond. This issue is known to occur under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ X800 XT Platinum Edition installed.
  • Richard Burns Rally: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ 8500/9100/9200 series installed no longer results in the trees flickering
  • Sid Meier's Pirates: Enabling Anti-aliasing no longer results in video flicker being noticed when starting the game
  • Playing an mpeg using the media player found in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 no longer results in the ATI VPU Recovery failing if it is disabled and then re-enabled
  • Connecting a TV and a monitor to an ATI RADEON™ X800 series and having the TV set as the primary display device no longer no longer results in the Video Mode remaining checked when switching to a resolution which is not supported
  • Intermittent desktop corruption is no longer noticed when enabling or disabling a secondary display device
  • Dragging or resizing the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 window no longer results in a VPU recovery when playing video on an HDTV
  • Running Maya under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ X800 series installed no longer results in display corruption being noticed when moving the mouse
  • Attempting to add a custom timing specification such as; 960x724 for the HDTV device properties page, no longer results in the custom timing not being added to the HDTV resolution menu list.
  • An error message is no longer displayed when attempting to switch a secondary display device back to the primary display device when using the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER
  • Installing the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER under the Windows XP operating system (French version) now results in the localized French version being installed
  • The text now changes and provides the correct information when changing the slider position for CATALYST™ AI
  • The Restore Factory Default option is now working for all sub-aspects found in the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER 3D tab
Catalyst Package

Display Driver | Control Panel | Catalyst Control Center | WDM Capture Driver

Release Notes

No problems so far, been playing HL2, NFSU2. Gained 146pionts 3dmark05.

I'm still using the old CC though :)

JackieChanIsGOD said:
They 'recommend' SP2...

Is it really necessary?

I don't want to install it.

lol.

SP2 has alot of security flaw fixes and i would strongly suggest installing it to better protect your PC.

Looks like Half Life 2 ghot huge bumps in this release. Like we didnt see it coming ;)

JackieChanIsGOD said:
They 'recommend' SP2...

Is it really necessary?

I don't want to install it.

lol.

Why not? Better security, most of the initial instability and incompatibility issues have been resloved. Oh yea, and slightly better gaming performance with SP2.

According to the tweaktown review, Half Life performance increase is enough for me to give em a whirl. Downloading now.

@ W1zzard

I've been using your softmodded drivers on my Sapphire 9500NP for a while now with no problems, and I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into them. That said, I couldn't get the new drivers to "work" (either using the patched ati2mtag.sys or doing on install with the softmodded driver package). ATiTool reported only 4 active pipelines. I was able to roll back to the softmodded 4.x with no problems with all 8 pipes active, I just thought I'd let you know. Thanks again for you hard work and quick turnaround on getting these out to the public after each new release.

@ JackieChanIsGOD

SP2 = good. Here are some reasons.

Another vote to upgrade to SP2, been using it since it came out, and I test a lot of games, haven't had any issues with it.

Brent_Justice said:
Another vote to upgrade to SP2, been using it since it came out, and I test a lot of games, haven't had any issues with it.

Yes indeed. Don't be one of the conspiracy theorists that think SP2 is going to hose your system, that's so 2004. ;)

Sounds like it's time to download some new drivers...

I downloaded the new drivers last night and then I installed them, then turned off my computer, but when I got up this morning....I now get TWO CL.exe processes that are taking 40megs each and are wanting to access the internett....according to Zonealarm...but a sweep with Adaware, SpyBot, and AVG returns nothing wrong. :confused:

I have yet to install SP2 becuase I am still in the process of backingup my data.

I know that CL.exe is command line stuff, but beyond that I have no idea. :(

Tiny said:
I downloaded the new drivers last night and then I installed them, then turned off my computer, but when I got up this morning....I now get TWO CL.exe processes that are taking 40megs each and are wanting to access the internett....according to Zonealarm...but a sweep with Adaware, SpyBot, and AVG returns nothing wrong. :confused:

I have yet to install SP2 becuase I am still in the process of backingup my data.

I know that CL.exe is command line stuff, but beyond that I have no idea. :(

The CLI.exe processes are the Cat Control Center. 1 process for each "logical" video device (listings under device manager).

I had a problem initially with a blue screen with ati2dvag as the culprit. Changed my 875 AGP-to-CPU driver to the standard pic-to-pci controller in dev manager, all problems previously experirnced with past Cat's gone. No blue screens, rock solid stable.

KC

screw ATI factory drivers and their bloatware crap.

I will wait for the Omega's based off the 5.1's. The Omegas are always faster anyway.

I've noticed the don't upda te unless you have problems that are fixed in this relese on the download pages... has this always been there?

I just found a flaw in the water rendering in FarCry with Cat 5.1, seems the reflections are messed up in some of the indoor scenes with water, specificailly in the Archive map.

BestSnowman said:
Anyone else have all the XT (9600) features removed when installing 5.1?
Check W1zzard's site, there is an updated version of the 5.1 softmodded drivers. I will test them out when I get home on my 9500NP, perhaps our issues are related. Thanks for the quick turnaround, W1zzard.

flobadon said:
Yes indeed. Don't be one of the conspiracy theorists that think SP2 is going to hose your system, that's so 2004. ;)

lol it actually did hose my system enough to where I had to format. Something is incompatible with it. Everytime I install it, the computer has these MASSIVE slowdowns after a few days. Last time I installed it, after about a week, the start menu took about 5 minutes to pop up -amonst other things-. Never had this problem with SP1a, and pre-service pack. It seems like after a few patches it just didn't work right for me.

Got some weird display corruption after install. Changing any settings in the ati control panel makes my display go into screwed up horizontal lines. the mouse cursor is just fine though. i went back to the previous drivers. meh

MWWInc said:
Check W1zzard's site, there is an updated version of the 5.1 softmodded drivers. I will test them out when I get home on my 9500NP, perhaps our issues are related. Thanks for the quick turnaround, W1zzard.

I'll look at it after work, but it is a full fledge XT it should work.

afaik the 9500 problem is fixed .. one user still claims he has problems .. please post here if the softmod drivers work for you (9500->9700)

BestSnowman said:
I'll look at it after work, but it is a full fledge XT it should work.
Nevermind, I thought you were trying to softmod to 9600XT.

BestSnowman said:
Anyone else have all the XT (9600) features removed when installing 5.1?

Nah, my 9600XT works just the same as before - which features are you missing?

The 9500->9700 softmod is working now for me with the 5.1's and new patched ati2mtag.sys.

flobadon said:

there are a ton of companies out there not running SP2 ... they're still running SP1.

there are lots of incompatibilities with SP2 still, just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for the 100 million other computers out there

So is it just me or is anyone else getting VPU Recovery popping up in CS:Source? It's happened on two different times now. This has never happened to me on any of the other previous driver sets.

Anyone else getting this?

[BB] Rick James said:
So is it just me or is anyone else getting VPU Recovery popping up in CS:Source? It's happened on two different times now. This has never happened to me on any of the other previous driver sets.

Anyone else getting this?

Nope not getting it. I have a 9800pro and I have not got it.

One major difference I noticed between Cat 4.12 and 5.1 is the difference in size of the Catalyst Control Centre!

CCC 4.12 - 44,965KB
CCC 5.1 - 28,780KB

Every previous driver release from both ATI and nVidia has gone up in size, so what on earth has ATI done here? Shedding 16MB from the install is quite a substantial cut!

Brent_Justice said:
I just found a flaw in the water rendering in FarCry with Cat 5.1, seems the reflections are messed up in some of the indoor scenes with water, specificailly in the Archive map.

I just played through the Archive map at 1600x1200, high settings and report no anamolies.

DandyBear said:
I just played through the Archive map at 1600x1200, high settings and report no anamolies.

it was in the water after you go through that blue thing with the glass, you break out the glass and jump down into the water where you have to move a board to swim underwater, in that room i saw some reflection problems, btw i am using patch 1.3 for farcry with all the settings maxed out

click here to see a screenshot

Looks kind of cool actually, but no, I just ran through played through that part of the game again and report no glitches,,,,wierd! :confused:

they work well for me in hl2, except for that bug when their is a barrel at the bottom of the water and youre looking at it from a 90 angle. the barrel seems to be over the water.
i cant say they are better than previous version because they are my first experience with ati drivers :) btw i have a 9700 pro.
is it normal that the cc version use like an additional 100 meg of ram?

Back