Official pictures of the R7 and R9 GPUs

Personally I find this stock cooler a lot more appealing than Tahiti's. Less boxy.

I don't understand why they nixed the dual mini-DP ports and went back to a single fullsize... I enjoyed being able to minimize the number of large (and snag-prone) DVI cables in my Eyefinity setup.

If you ask me everything should go DP... just start including DP to DVI adaptors for those who cant upgrade right now. It is a FAR superior interface even more superior than HDMI.

They all look high quality.

Any dimensions for them?

Looks nice! I've always loved the black/red color scheme because there's so many other matching parts to choose from. One thing I wish AMD and NVIDIA would do is offer two reference cards, one with a blower cooler and one with an open air cooler. Standard back plates on their high end cards would be nice too (if not the option to purchase separately like EVGA does). This way, people with small cases (mITX) can get the blower cooler, while people with larger cases with better airflow can get the open air cooler.

Reference design cards must use blower coolers because they have to work in non enthusiast pcs.

Also fan looks similar to 2900 cooling

his-2900pro-2.jpg

If you ask me everything should go DP... just start including DP to DVI adaptors for those who cant upgrade right now. It is a FAR superior interface even more superior than HDMI.

HDMI is crap, can barely replace single link DVI.
ACTIVE DP>DL-DVI adapters cost 1/4 of the suggested price of these cards.

An optimal VGA would feature: 2x DL-DVI, 1x HDMI, 2x miniDP. The alternative would be 6x miniDP

im in for one. But its about time they redesign there blower fan

HDMI is crap, can barely replace single link DVI.

An optimal VGA would feature: 2x DL-DVI, 1x HDMI, 2x miniDP. The alternative would be 6x miniDP

I would love the reference high end cards to have 6 x miniDP. I haven't had the ease of setup since my 5870 (which I still use in the wife's pc).

What I'm wondering about the 290x is whether those DVI ports are both Dual-Link and whether or not we can use both DVI ports and the HDMI port.

are they seriouslly calling them the R9 290X and stuff? >_>

The naming scheme is just wrong......come on.....9790, that I get.
290X, WTF does that mean?

What were you worried about? Running out of numbers? Like we couldn't figure it out.:rolleyes:

Ehrmagerd the naming isn't what we expected it to be, end of the world!

I would love the reference high end cards to have 6 x miniDP. I haven't had the ease of setup since my 5870 (which I still use in the wife's pc).

What I'm wondering about the 290x is whether those DVI ports are both Dual-Link and whether or not we can use both DVI ports and the HDMI port.

This is my major concern also.

DP is technically superior to HDMI, agreed. But there are still good reasons to use HDMI. Audio out, and easier TV hookup are two.

Ehrmagerd the naming isn't what we expected it to be, end of the world!

So explain to me in less than two paragraphs, how to decipher this number scheme?

Like I really care what or why AMD did this, it just makes no logical sense......:D

simple: from least to post powerful:

260x
270x
280x
290x

So explain to me in less than two paragraphs, how to decipher this number scheme?

Like I really care what or why AMD did this, it just makes no logical sense......:D

R9 = high performance, R7 = mainstream stuff. From there it's pretty simple, R9 290x = most powerful and you go down the line. It's kind of like how Nvidia went from 9800GTX to the GTX 280. You can actually totally ignore the "R" in front and just use the numbers..290x - 290 - 280x etc.

R9 = high performance, R7 = mainstream stuff. From there it's pretty simple, R9 290x = most powerful and you go down the line. It's kind of like how Nvidia went from 9800GTX to the GTX 280. You can actually totally ignore the "R" in front and just use the numbers..290x - 290 - 280x etc.

Yup: I found a pretty good write-up after a little searching:

" AMD is also going to release R9-290, R9-280X, R9-270X, R9-270, R7-260X, R7-250 and R7-240 GPUs.

The new cards will use a new naming convention RX-YZZ, where X denotes the series segment, Y the generation and ZZ the performance ranking. YZZ makes up the part number. Series R5 is used for entry level cards and cards that target users wanting to view or edit movies and images, as well as entry level gamers. R7 cards target mid-range gamers, HD video editing and OpenCL based apps. Finally, R9 cards are for high end users, gamers who demand the highest quality images and users wanting Eyefinity technology for multiple monitors. The first cards to use the new naming convention will be generation 2, so they will be called Rx-2xx." :D

and it's only 1 paragraph long, give or take.:p

So for us Hard users, we only care about R9 :D

really the R rating isnt really nessisary as there is no overlap between the segments

for us Hard users 290 is all we ware about.

really the R rating isnt really nessisary as there is no overlap between the segments

for us Hard users 290 is all wee ware about.

I assume that will be for marketing to the less nerdy group.

290x! Ain't nobody got time for a 290 :D

the scheme Is pretty nerdy to begin with, so i dunno

i assume they tried to do something like intel's i3/i5/i7 scheme.

I would have preferred 99xx or whatever for the top and then work down.

I guess they were thinking ahead and didn't want to use 10000.

Anyway, I agree 290X is all that matters in this discussion anyway. It supposedly has all the bells and whistles.

Woah buddy, who said anything about active adapters?

Passive dual-link adapters will work for up to two monitors. The GPU still supports two DVI ports internally, and can pipe them out of a DisplayPort output and through a passive adapter.

They could make a card with nothing but DisplayPort on it and toss two passive adapters in the box. Job done.

Well, unless I'm mistaken, not that many monitors have displayport yet.

Well, unless I'm mistaken, not that many monitors have displayport yet.

They don't need to. Even if the card has nothing but DisplayPort it can still be connected to (up to) 2 DVI monitors using cheap passive adapters.

Take a look at the Eyefinity-6 editions cards that feature nothing but DisplayPort connections, they already work this way.

They don't need to. Even if the card has nothing but DisplayPort it can still be connected to (up to) 2 DVI monitors using cheap passive adapters.

The problem is those are never included, and are they going to be the same as a straight dual link DVI cable?

The problem is those are never included, and are they going to be the same as a straight dual link DVI cable?

You were saying?

I can't find an Eyefinity-6 edition card that DOESN'T include a full compliment of passive adapters... Allows all of them to be connected to two DVI (or HDMI) displays without any kind of active adapter, out-of-the-box.

You were saying?

I can't find an Eyefinity-6 edition card that DOESN'T include a full compliment of passive adapters... Allows all of them to be connected to two DVI (or HDMI) displays without any kind of active adapter, out-of-the-box.

Not talking about Eyefinity cards, I mean regular ones. My 7950's have 2 DP(or mini, I forget which) 1 DVI and 1 HDMI. My question is, let's say I got one of those 120/144hz monitors, would a passive adapter be OK for that or should I use the DVI and use DP + passive for my other 2 monitors which won't be used for gaming(just desktop).

I know it's kind of OT, but I am curious.

Not talking about Eyefinity cards, I mean regular ones.
Technically they're all eyefinity cards, it's just the the "regular" ones have a different display head configuration. They're a perfectly relevant example, especially considering some of us want to run 3x DisplayPort monitors (matched outputs = fewer potential Eyefinity issues). These new reference cards still make that impossible.

My 7950's have 2 DP(or mini, I forget which) 1 DVI and 1 HDMI. My question is, let's say I got one of those 120/144hz monitors, would a passive adapter be OK for that or should I use the DVI and use DP + passive for my other 2 monitors which won't be used for gaming(just desktop).

I know it's kind of OT, but I am curious.
Like I said, the maximum number of DVI displays all AMD cards can support is 2, no matter how they're hooked up. The only way around this limitation (so you can use 3+ DVI displays) is active adapters.

Now, with that said, you should be able to run the following configuration:
1x Dual-Link DVI > 120Hz monitor
1x Passive DP-to-Dual-Link DVI adapter > 120Hz monitor
1x Active DP-to-Dual-Link DVI adapter > 120Hz monitor.

The card will see the first two monitors as DVI displays, and the 3rd as a DisplayPort display.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think I failed, the Asus monitor actually has a Displayport connection, so I could use a straight DVI to the second monitor and a DP with passive DVI to the third. The second/third monitor are just 60hz I use for desktop stuff(much easier to work with at least 2 monitors)

I don't care about names, I don't care about looks, I care about some FREAKING BENCHMARKS AND PRICES! Rage caps.

Seriously though...I want to spend $300-400 max, and I want the best card for that money. Give me that information AMD or else I will get bored and buy NVIDIA in the next few days. I know you care about me personally, so listen.

Woah buddy, who said anything about active adapters?

Passive dual-link adapters will work for up to two monitors. The GPU still supports two DVI ports internally, and can pipe them out of a DisplayPort output and through a passive adapter.

They could make a card with nothing but DisplayPort on it and toss two passive adapters in the box. Job done.

passive adapters don't cut it for high res high refresh :(

Back