Official World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Litch King Thread

I was the first alliance death knight to 70 on my server (demon soul) but i'm guessing people will pass me on the way to 80 since i only took off last friday and i have work and school like normal now :(

we had the first DK on blackhand hit 80 last night

What new PVP? All I heard about during WOTLK's development was a new BG or two and a small PVP zone like Halaa? I read a dev post by Blizzard saying they wanted everyone in arenas. PVP was the big big area WOW lacked in so I'm kinda curious if they ever really fixed it up at all..

Apparently PVP is all about Arena and all the rewards are Arena based (tokens, etc.). So no thanks.

What new PVP? All I heard about during WOTLK's development was a new BG or two and a small PVP zone like Halaa? I read a dev post by Blizzard saying they wanted everyone in arenas. PVP was the big big area WOW lacked in so I'm kinda curious if they ever really fixed it up at all.

WOW is just TOA (the DAOC expansion I'm sure you're referring to that "ruined the game") with different graphics ;). Until about 6 months ago the population was healthy enough to enjoy the game fine, and by that time the game was 6.5 years old with WAR, its essential sequel, being on the way (which now is released, under 2 months old, and has 800k *active* north american/european subs). I'd say they did just fine.

Like the guy said above me, it's all about Arena now. I believe even the crap battlegrounds/blue set requires at least a 1650 Arena rating and however many arena points. Basically, if you want to PvP casually you're going to have to do Arenas. This is the biggest reason why I won't keep playing WotLK after I hit 80, if I ever do.

Edit: @OP - AthlonXP did you used to play a Druid on Ner'zhul - Alliance?

Like the guy said above me, it's all about Arena now. I believe even the crap battlegrounds/blue set requires at least a 1650 Arena rating and however many arena points. Basically, if you want to PvP casually you're going to have to do Arenas. This is the biggest reason why I won't keep playing WotLK after I hit 80, if I ever do.

That's incorrect. There are currently 3 tiers of PvP gear. One set of blues and 2 sets of epics. The blues can be acquired in 3 different ways. There's a pure honor grind, which costs a lot of honor. There's a mix of honor and arena. It costs way less honor and dirt-cheap arena points. You seriously could be below 1500 rating in a 2v2 and afford 1 piece a week. Lastly, you can buy them with Emblems of Heroism (acquired from heroic dungeon or 10-man raid bosses).

The epic set can be acquired by 2 different methods. There's a mix of arena/honor points + a relatively high arena rating (that's probably the set you're thinking about). Second, there's Emblems of Valor (acquired only from 25-man raids).

Lastly there's the high end set which can only be acquired from arena/honor + a very high arena rating, like 1800+.

That's incorrect. There are currently 3 tiers of PvP gear. One set of blues and 2 sets of epics. The blues can be acquired in 3 different ways. There's a pure honor grind, which costs a lot of honor. There's a mix of honor and arena. It costs way less honor and dirt-cheap arena points. You seriously could be below 1500 rating in a 2v2 and afford 1 piece a week. Lastly, you can buy them with Emblems of Heroism (acquired from heroic dungeon or 10-man raid bosses).

The epic set can be acquired by 2 different methods. There's a mix of arena/honor points + a relatively high arena rating (that's probably the set you're thinking about). Second, there's Emblems of Valor (acquired only from 25-man raids).

Lastly there's the high end set which can only be acquired from arena/honor + a very high arena rating, like 1800+.

Hrrrm, I guess I stand corrected. That doesn't sound too bad I guess. I absolutely hate Arenas though and will never participate in one or anything resembling it again. Capping out at an 1800 rating in Season 1 and 2 in the Vegeance battlegroup with a hunter/moonkin/paladin comp was frustrating to say the least. If Lake Wintergrasp turns out to be fun and they add other similar maps, I'd say WoW PvP has a chance to become decent. Fun PvE game though, I just can't sit through raids anymore.

I absolutely hate Arenas though and will never participate in one or anything resembling it again. Capping out at an 1800 rating in Season 1 and 2 in the Vegeance battlegroup with a hunter/moonkin/paladin comp was frustrating to say the least.

I agree completely. During S1 and S2, I never managed to pass the 1800 range in a mage/lock combo I was in. Well, we broke 1900 for like a week lol. Not the best team comp for sure, but at least it was worth something. S3 was utter bullshit for a 2v2 mage. Averaged 1700s. I quit by the time S4 started.

If it wasn't so biased toward certain team compositions (like a healer + melee), I would still enjoy it. But the fact that dps casters have a finite resource mechanic makes it impossible to keep up, with the exception of the absolute best players.

Anyhow, I'm probably gonna take a break from anything PvP related for now. I'm most eager to do 10-man raids with RL friends. It fits our demographic perfectly.

Anyone else not rushing their main through? I'm taking my time to read the quests and dialog. Even take time to just look at the scenery.

WoW always has had some great sky-scapes.

(image scaled from 3360x1050)

ibxpio.jpg

Anyone else not rushing their main through? I'm taking my time to read the quests and dialog. Even take time to just look at the scenery.

WoW always has had some great sky-scapes.

(image scaled from 3360x1050)

Have you started the DK questing? Its even better! Blizzard really made WOTLK "fun" and "enjoyable"

Oh yeah, the scenery rocks from my post a page back. I'm AMAZED at the difference the shadows make when you switch them from high to low, without them, it looks very flat and dull

Yeah got 1 DK to 60 and another just out of the starting area. I agree, although I think it would have been more enjoyable to do the first time with less than 200 other DKs lol.

I wasn't going to get it because I wasn't having fun on my priest past 3.0. However, I got it and rolled a DK. Love the class it's incredibly fun. I'm waiting for people to drop off playing DK though and return to their mains.

I personally don't have a main so dk has been my only character. Level 67 now @ 1 day 5 hours played. Just finished nagrand tonight other then the final mastery quests, and moving to SMV. I have about 1/3 a level to 68. So I'm hoping SMV can take me to 70.

Yeah got 1 DK to 60 and another just out of the starting area. I agree, although I think it would have been more enjoyable to do the first time with less than 200 other DKs lol.

Yeah, holding off on a DK until everyone and their mother are done.

An FFVII reference :D

WoW2008-11-1722-44-31-83.jpg

As well as TMNT
WoW2008-11-1722-48-45-73.jpg

I'm assuming this one is from Batman
WoW2008-11-1723-08-05-86.jpg

Dalaran from the Purple Parlor Balcony at night
WoW2008-11-1723-16-44-13.jpg

I assume the chopper is just scenery? That would be a great mount.

EDIT:

I guess it is real after all. Youtube to the rescue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVrth5tzX44

Almost makes me want to drop $90 just to ride one. (almost)

This particular chopper is just scenery, but Engineers can actually make them at an obscene cost of gold :D.

EDIT: Oopps, looks like I posted just as you edited yours.

Im' loving the game. My only complaint is having to wait for mob respawns. Too many people playing!

I don't think you've proven him wrong. Let's see:

Tier 1 of PvP gear...a crappy blue set. Wow! One piece a week and after about 3 months I'll have a full set (not just the 5-piece "set" but including the rings, weapons, boots/belt/bracers) of crappy PvP blues and still get trashed by those who are fully epicced! That sounds like a great deal!

But wait, it gets better...you can also do epic-level content (heroics/10-man raids) so that you can get badges to buy blues with?

Wow, such a steal!

Tier 2 of PvP gear - need personal arena rating for several pieces...which means...you guessed it, you're forced to arena. I guess if you're fortunate enough to be in a 25-man raiding guild there's that alternative but...well, good luck with that one for a lot of people.

Tier 3 of PvP gear...do I really need to explain this one?

Bottom line is the new way they're doing it means that if you want to play even semi-casually and you don't like arena, or if you play semi-casually and play as one of several class specs in the game that are completely gimp in PvP *especially in arenas* (omghi2u enhancement shaman!) then you can pretty much forget any kind of PvP progress.

I just resubed, how long do you think it'll take to get my lvl 12 Orc Warrior to lvl 70?

But hey, on the bright side, those of us who don't like arenas can always just form a 4 DK + 1 healer team for the 5s bracket and face roll our way to victory. This is how it'll work:

All DKs stack up.

DK #1 /target (healer), Death Grip.
DKs zerg healer. Healer dies.

DK #2 /target next person to die. Death Grip.
DKs zerg victim. Victim dies.

DK #3 /target...

You get the point.

Death Grip is going to be ridiculous...

I just resubed, how long do you think it'll take to get my lvl 12 Orc Warrior to lvl 70?

same here. guess ill enjoy the graphical "enhancements" while i grind up a character high enough to do anything with this expansion.

I don't think you've proven him wrong.

For one, I didn't prove or disprove his statement about how "it's all about arena now."

Where in my post was I trying to prove something? I corrected his statement about the PvP blues requiring a 1650 rating by talking in detail about how all 3 sets can be acquired. Perhaps I should have quoted that specific sentence, but nowhere in my post was I attacking anything else he said.

But hey, on the bright side, those of us who don't like arenas can always just form a 4 DK + 1 healer team for the 5s bracket and face roll our way to victory. This is how it'll work:

All DKs stack up.

DK #3 /target...

You get the point.

locks own DKs :)

Death grip, < HOWLING TERROR BITCHES, dot dot dot Death Coil, fear

All DKs stack up.

DK #3 /target...

You get the point.

Yeah, until you go against a team with CC. Have a Rogue lock down the healer, and a warrior or two WW through the DKs.... profit! Or the whole sap, sheep, ice trap shenanigans.

4man+1 healer DKs are fun teams, but they're not really that amazing.

I don't think you've proven him wrong. Let's see:

Tier 1 of PvP gear...it's not epic!!!! and has 11 less stamina than epic, IM SCREWED, waaaaaahh!

Tier 2 of PvP gear - I actualy have to do a little work, waaaaaaaaaah!

Tier 3 of PvP gear...I actually have to have skill waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

fix'd

I actually really like the 3 tiers system. I hope that the gap is small between them and that they are largely perfectionist/status pieces rather than ownage pieces. If you are skilled enough to get the best gear, then you don't need a significant gear advantage to beat the people who aren't

I actually really like the 3 tiers system. I hope that the gap is small between them and that they are largely perfectionist/status pieces rather than ownage pieces. If you are skilled enough to get the best gear, then you don't need a significant gear advantage to beat the people who aren't

agreed.

I for one am enjoying the new content. I consider myself a casual WoW player. In the 3-5 hours I have put into the game so far, I have only made it to 71 and have not even run any of the new 5 man instances. Enjoying the content and new areas. Still LVing in the starting zone. Everyone nit picking about the content should either stop playing or enjoy it.

I never had a problem with arenas per se. What I had a problem with was the obligatory bg grind to get certain pieces, which brings me to my second problem.
Normally, belt, boots, rings, cape, wrist and trinket wouldnt make that much of a difference. Except resilience is a ridiculously overpowered stat, so you need those pieces.

I never had a problem with arenas per se. What I had a problem with was the obligatory bg grind to get certain pieces, which brings me to my second problem.
Normally, belt, boots, rings, cape, wrist and trinket wouldnt make that much of a difference. Except resilience is a ridiculously overpowered stat, so you need those pieces.

I thought resilience was getting some kind of nerf in Wrath? I could have sworn I read that somewhere? Can anyone enlighten?

I want to see Arena's taken out of the game entirely along with battlegrounds. If you want to PvP roll on a PvP server. Implement a system where the main front takes place on a certain land every month and people have to go all around azeroth and outlands to get the goods needed to implement warfare equipment.

Kind of like Alterac Valley but on a world scale, the mini bosses could be in small towns and victory bosses in Major faction cities. First side to complete objectives wins, PvP Gear is handed out through helping the effort and major gear for downing bosses.

This would promote world pvp because the game is called world of warcraft after all. Arena's are a joke, this game supposed to be about epic warfare on grand scales not zomg my 2 Ret palies team in full S4 totally owned you (in a 1500 bracket) I got into the 2000's in S2 and quit just to come back and say wtf.

why do people suggest taking arenas and BGs out completely? That's the most selfish thing I've ever heard. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean nobody else does. Over 50% of the WoW players play the game just for the arena and BGs. If you don't like them just don't go, it's not that complicated.

why do people suggest taking arenas and BGs out completely? That's the most selfish thing I've ever heard. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean nobody else does. Over 50% of the WoW players play the game just for the arena and BGs. If you don't like them just don't go, it's not that complicated.

I doubt very seriously over 50% of the WoW population play JUST for arenas and BG's, if that was the case Blizz wouldn't bend over to make pvp gear accessible to everyone. WoW had millions of subscribers before Arenas and pvp instances were ever even implemented.

I wouldn't go as far as saying 50% only BG and arena.. but a fair amount of people I agree play WoW just for that.

I want to see Arena's taken out of the game entirely along with battlegrounds. If you want to PvP roll on a PvP server. Implement a system where the main front takes place on a certain land every month and people have to go all around azeroth and outlands to get the goods needed to implement warfare equipment.

Kind of like Alterac Valley but on a world scale, the mini bosses could be in small towns and victory bosses in Major faction cities. First side to complete objectives wins, PvP Gear is handed out through helping the effort and major gear for downing bosses.

This would promote world pvp because the game is called world of warcraft after all. Arena's are a joke, this game supposed to be about epic warfare on grand scales not zomg my 2 Ret palies team in full S4 totally owned you (in a 1500 bracket) I got into the 2000's in S2 and quit just to come back and say wtf.
only problem is your idea fails when its 7 to 1 horde to alliance ratio.

I want to see Arena's taken out of the game entirely along with battlegrounds.

It's too late for that.
If you recall, BGs came along when the PvE folks hit a brick wall that was called MC.
Raiding MC was mind numbingly boring, time consuming, and for the majority of the participants not rewarding.

BGs provided a "controlled" PvP environment for PvE players. The target audience of BGs and Arena are not traditional PvP players. Those features are to keep PvE players paying for the game once they are bored of the PvE content.

only problem is your idea fails when its 7 to 1 horde to alliance ratio.

That's entirely Blizzards fault for making the Horde fugly.
Beyond ideology people like "easy on the eyes", and as the player base proves, Horde is just not.

It's too late for that.
If you recall, BGs came along when the PvE folks hit a brick wall that was called MC.
Raiding MC was mind numbingly boring, time consuming, and for the majority of the participants not rewarding.

BGs provided a "controlled" PvP environment for PvE players. The target audience of BGs and Arena are not traditional PvP players. Those features are to keep PvE players paying for the game once they are bored of the PvE content.

That's entirely Blizzards fault for making the Horde fugly.
Beyond ideology people like "easy on the eyes", and as the player base proves, Horde is just not.

yeah, blizz should have ignored lore and made orcs look like heidi klum so retards would play them.

yeah, blizz should have ignored lore and made orcs look like heidi klum so retards would play them.

lol

this is why they made blood elves imo.

also, any argument about blizz and lore goes out the window now that they've gotten away the the LOL PURPLE SPACESHIPS WITH ALIENS thing :D

Back