Ok, can anyone tell me what the best way to fix my problem is?

iddqd

[H]ard|Gawd
Let's see. I have a 2-computer network right now.

It includes node0 and node1 connected to a D-Link 704 (wired) router, which also has a DSL modem connected to a dedicated broadban port. It's running just fine.

Now, on to my problem.

I have introduced a third computer into the netwrok, let's call it node2. Node1 and node2 are very close together (right next to each other, in fact). The router + DSL modem and node0 are also very close together. And I need an internet connection on node2. The problem is however, that node0 and node1/node2 are quite far apart, and putting another ethernet cable through my apartment would be a ROYAL pain in the ass. Moving the DSL modem anywhere is not an option either, unfortunately (no phone jacks in the room with node1+node2).

So, I was thinking maybe get another router, or maybe a dumb switch to share the cable going from the main router between node1 and node2. Would that be possible? Or, am i stuck with nailing more ugly cables to the walls?

well, i'm not postive, and don't quote me on it, but i'm pretty sure that if you install a second Network Card into Node1, you can have a short cable running from 1 to 2. You just have to, in the networking wizard, make sure you set it as something like 'this computer is a gateway for another computer' for node 1 and 'this computer connects to another computer to the internet' for node2. All you have to do is keep node1 on whenever you want to use node2's internet and you should be fine.

Take the cable that used to go into node1 and plug it into one port of an autonegotiating switch (I think most Soho units are). Run an ethernet cable from the switch to node1, and another to node2. All set.

I would throw a switch in there before I would go wireless. Actually, I wouldn't go wireless at all in this situation. If you wanted to get creative, you could actually run two 100BaseT connections over one cat5 cable. That's not exactly in spec for ethernet, but it would probably work.

Any dummy switch would work fine. You can find them for under $10 on the egg

IceWind said:
This is why they invented wireless access points.

That would work, but a small 4 - 8 port switch will be faster, more secure and cheaper.

Take the existing cable and connect it to your new cheapy switch (this one looks as good as any) and connect your PC's to the switch. Only thing to be carefull of is if your new switch can auto-sense a x-over cable or not. Worst case, you'll have to re-wire your existing cable at one end.

Party2go9820 said:
That would work, but a small 4 - 8 port switch will be faster, more secure and cheaper.

Take the existing cable and connect it to your new cheapy switch (this one looks as good as any) and connect your PC's to the switch. Only thing to be carefull of is if your new switch can auto-sense a x-over cable or not. Worst case, you'll have to re-wire your existing cable at one end.

Why would I need a crossover cable? I'm using regular ones atm. Other than that, thanks for the advice.

iddqd said:
Why would I need a crossover cable? I'm using regular ones atm. Other than that, thanks for the advice.
You'd need a crossover cable if both your switches didn't autodetect mdi/mdi-x. Most modern switches do, so you probably won't need to use a crossover cable.

jpmkm said:
You'd need a crossover cable if both your switches didn't autodetect mdi/mdi-x. Most modern switches do, so you probably won't need to use a crossover cable.
2 switches? I have a router right now.

iddqd said:
2 switches? I have a router right now.

Actually, you most likely have a router with a built in switch.

When you connect two switches you need to have a cross over somewhere. Newer switches will auto-detect that they are connected to another switch and do the crossing. Some switches also have a cross over or "uplink" port that is crossed. Last case resort is to just use a crossed cable.

Oh. I see. I can re-wire a normal cable into a crossover, then?

iddqd said:
Oh. I see. I can re-wire a normal cable into a crossover, then?

Assuming you've got the tools, yes. Also depends on what you've got for ends. A male plug would have to be cut off, with a new one re-wired to do the cross. A female jack would just need to be repunched down with the cross. There are several other options such as cross-over extensions and such as well.

Remember, this is just the worse case scenario. 99% of the switches you can buy today are auto midi/midx so you won't need to worry about it.

Party2go9820 said:
Assuming you've got the tools, yes. Also depends on what you've got for ends. A male plug would have to be cut off, with a new one re-wired to do the cross. A female jack would just need to be repunched down with the cross. There are several other options such as cross-over extensions and such as well.

Remember, this is just the worse case scenario. 99% of the switches you can buy today are auto midi/midx so you won't need to worry about it.

that's good to know. thanks!

Back