ok Dell 2007wfp Vs. NEC20wmgx2 (kind of redundant but want to know)

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
so i was pondering it, and i was suprirsed how not obviously superior the NEC is apparently to some people.

that could be the price talking though, i myself said i wouldnt consider it unless the price went down....well it did, it's now the same as the Dell for the time being.

anyway, i was curious how they compare, since the NEC isnt in stores now and the Dell....well, it's hard to go see in person also.

Also we're presuming the Dell has an S-IPS in it. I'm not sure but the NEC and the DEll DONT have the same IPS panel in them do they????

I happen to have both of those monitors as we speak..

Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS)

pros:
1. Awesome design and styling...a work of art that isn't too flashy.
2. Accurate colors, good text clarity
3. Excellent viewing angles
4. Good for pc/console gaming in spite of the listed 16ms response time
5. Good user adjustability

cons:
1. Anti-glare coating may be too aggressive...mutes colors a bit and produces a "fuzzy" look if you sit too close.
2. Chance of getting a S-PVA panel which by some accounts is inferior to PVA's used in other monitors.
3. Only composite/S-video connections in addtion to DVI-VGA.

NEC 20WMGX2 (AS-IPS)

pros:
1. No panel lottery...excellent AS-IPS panel in every monitor.
2. Accurate colors, good text clarity
3. Excellent viewing angles
4. Excellent for pc/console gaming with 6ms response time. Component input
5. Excellent user adjustability...separate settings for desktop/tv
6. Good tv tuner makes it a surprisingly nice bedroom tv.
7. Remote lets you control all settings/functions...not just tv. (I've never touched the panel controls:p )
8. Opticlear screen coating makes colors come through without being muted.

cons:
1. Styling, while not bad..isn't as stylish as the Dell and contains some odd choices (such as the black body with raised silver around the bezel)
2. Opticlear screen coating...while being a pro in my opinion..can be a weakness if lighting can't be controlled.
3. The stand doesn't allow height/portrait mode
4. The NTSC only tv tuner will become useless in under 2 years

Overall, I believe that I have the two best 20" widescreen monitors on the market and really either one would be a good choice. If I had to choose one it would be the NEC but it's not the landslide victory you might think it would be. With the price being so similar now I would say choose the one that best meets your needs...but don't wait too long. The NEC is out of production now and it's getting about time for Dell to do a refresh...and lord knows what kind of panel they will choose to put in the "2008WFP" (or whatever they will call it)

Thanks for the list Joemama! Certainly sets things clear. BTW, do you experience any of the 4:3 issues on the NEC I seem to read about?

Thanks for the list Joemama! Certainly sets things clear. BTW, do you experience any of the 4:3 issues on the NEC I seem to read about?
What do you mean by "4:3 issues"? Keep in mind I've only had the NEC about 2 weeks now..

What do you mean by "4:3 issues"? Keep in mind I've only had the NEC about 2 weeks now..

Supposedly when viewing 4:3 content (in games specifically is what I've read, but I would guess various other types of media too) the monitor stretches the image rather than displays it with black bars on either side. Have you experienced this?

Supposedly when viewing 4:3 content (in games specifically is what I've read, but I would guess various other types of media too) the monitor stretches the image rather than displays it with black bars on either side. Have you experienced this?

ya i think that's a good thing though

Honestly I haven't played any pc games that aren't widescreen (or hackable to WS) but when watching tv I prefer to use the "wide" mode which fills the whole screen. There are a number of aspect modes available however...including one where you can create your own custom screen ratio.

ya i think that's a good thing though

There is nothing good about that at all.

I definitely dont want to see oval or oblong heads on people in games or movies, all stretched out looking all goofy and retarded.

Its called 1:1 pixel mapping, if your monitor doesn't support it, don't buy it or take it back and get a new/different one.

Its a FLAW of the maker and shouldn't be accepted as a properly working monitor.

I got my NEC about 2 weeks ago and the price in Canada is 529*expensive!!* compare to the dell at 399
I've read almost every post and site that reviews both monitors then went to a dell store and best buy(nec) to check both of them out, even though i wasn't able to place them side by side, I really like the nec better, I have no use for the TV tuner nor the speaker that came with it, but the color were equal to my 23" apple ACD

However, my first one have 1 dead pixel near the middle and I gave NEC a call and they replace it, the second and third also have a few stuck/dead pixel but they are willing to replace it too
I am getting my next one tomorrow, and I pray it will have no problem..

I was pretty impress by NEC service that I went to bestbuy and grab another one
I will be dual screening with them when my replacement arrive..

hm well the problem is half thosed cons i dont care about (i just need a DVI input for either, and i dont care about NTSC tuner stuff, and i do presume the dell would end up being an IPS).

And well, adding that the thing about the ANTI glare on the dell being almost bad only makes it less helpful since that was one of the few things it leveraged over the NEC, which i'm not sure about with the glossy panel (i'd always say that if the price went down alot i'd put up with it since it was praised as the top panel though....).

Anyhow, with both prices the same i'm really not sure what to do, it would indeed be easy if i could just go into the store and compare them side by side but neither are in stores.

Also, i had been anticipating a dell refresh since spring, sadly it's come too late (it has been a bit long though). I had hoped that since they could no longer rectify or control the panel issue that they would just rectify it in the refresh, or perhaps just make it worse or continue mixing panels i dont know.

But i do know that with my computer coming soon i cant really wait anymore, which is a shame since it's pretty much the same stuff that was out in the winter and nothing came out as i had anticipated.

And i really dont know how much the glossy will bother me, which makes the choice hard (although i guess not TOO hard if NEC doesnt re-extend their rebate once again past sept 1, since i may want to wait just a little longer).

hm well the problem is half thosed cons i dont care about (i just need a DVI input for either, and i dont care about NTSC tuner stuff, and i do presume the dell would end up being an IPS).

And well, adding that the thing about the ANTI glare on the dell being almost bad only makes it less helpful since that was one of the few things it leveraged over the NEC, which i'm not sure about with the glossy panel (i'd always say that if the price went down alot i'd put up with it since it was praised as the top panel though....).

Anyhow, with both prices the same i'm really not sure what to do, it would indeed be easy if i could just go into the store and compare them side by side but neither are in stores.

Also, i had been anticipating a dell refresh since spring, sadly it's come too late (it has been a bit long though). I had hoped that since they could no longer rectify or control the panel issue that they would just rectify it in the refresh, or perhaps just make it worse or continue mixing panels i dont know.

But i do know that with my computer coming soon i cant really wait anymore, which is a shame since it's pretty much the same stuff that was out in the winter and nothing came out as i had anticipated.

And i really dont know how much the glossy will bother me, which makes the choice hard (although i guess not TOO hard if NEC doesnt re-extend their rebate once again past sept 1, since i may want to wait just a little longer).
The anti-glare on the Dell is not really bad in and of itself..it just works a little too well but would be great in a room with uncontrolled lighting or windows. Honestly, I never gave the tv tuner much thought...and it always irked me because I blamed that for inflating the cost. Now that I have it I use it all the time...I simply put a splitter on the cable running to my modem and now I have instant tv! With one press of the remote button I can be watching any basic cable channel..and even put a small screen on the desktop while I'm surfing the web.

My thought is that if there were some way to transfer the NEC panel/electronics to the Dell casing/stand then you would have the closest thing to the perfect 20" widescreen lcd.

hm, as i said though for the most part it seems like the NEC performs only a bit better, but it has that glossy screen, all other things are mostly equal to me (including the price) as they both have DVI ports which is what i'd be using.

So i really dont know what to do, i'm almost letting lethargy decide and see if after sept 1 if the nec rebate will continue, i guess if it doesnt that will decide it....but if it goes on i dont know what to do about that.

hm, as i said though for the most part it seems like the NEC performs only a bit better, but it has that glossy screen, all other things are mostly equal to me (including the price) as they both have DVI ports which is what i'd be using.

So i really dont know what to do, i'm almost letting lethargy decide and see if after sept 1 if the nec rebate will continue, i guess if it doesnt that will decide it....but if it goes on i dont know what to do about that.
If you are the least bit hestitant about the glossy panel then get the Dell and call it a day. If you are used to anti-glare then the aggressive form used on the Dell won't bother you....glossy is either something you like or don't like with no middle ground it seems.

well i had a laptop that had a glossy panel and it didnt bother me a ton, but it may have been less glossy, so honeslty i really dont know (of course the decision would be alot easier if the dell was hailed as the clear and away top performer).

damnit, nec extended the rebate again :p

guess i cant count on the price going up to help me decide, ARRGGHH.

I dont know if it would necesarily solve my woes, but actually going into a store and comparing them side by side really would help, sadly that is pretty much impossible.

Back