Ok SMP question

Tormond

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2007
Ok I have a server coming in next week that will be dual Quad core w/ 8GB of RAM. Do I run 4 instances of the SMP client or do I run 2? This box is a document server that will be used to serve about nothing a day so cycles really isn't an issue. Just want to get the most I can out of it

Ok I have a server coming in next week that will be dual Quad core w/ 8GB of RAM. Do I run 4 instances of the SMP client or do I run 2? This box is a document server that will be used to serve about nothing a day so cycles really isn't an issue. Just want to get the most I can out of it

I would think you would run two instance of them, but I don't know much about SMP, you bring up a good question man...

You run 2. Actually zim found out running more even on a nix (don't use 100% CPU in nix client yet) kills the PPD.

Two instances of the SMP would be needed for a quad core machine. I believe the client creates 4 worker threads to run the SMP client per dual core. ::drools:: Can't wait to see you PPD increase! I might be building a single quad core in the next month I hope!

Ok will give it a shot with just 2 then. Like I said this box is basically just going to sit there and fold so I wanted to maximize performance from it. Funny thing is Dell had a deal where I could get the Quad vs the dual for $160 more and the 2nd CPU was free :) (well as free as anything is in this world) but I still paid just over $2K for it with RAID 5 (250GBx3) and the CPUs/RAM

Two instances of the SMP would be needed for a quad core machine. I believe the client creates 4 worker threads to run the SMP client per dual core. ::drools:: Can't wait to see you PPD increase! I might be building a single quad core in the next month I hope!

Alrighty so in that sense, do you set the second client to machine 2 or three? [For quad core?]

Each machine id takes up 1 core. The Windows SMP will do 16 cores so quad/quad cores. The console version will do 8 cores if I understand it correctly. When you set the machine id, you could set 1 and then the other client could be machine id 8 and it will work the same, I think you set the machine id's in order for simplicity

So for a dual core box you have Machine ID 1 & 2
Quad core 1,2,3,4
Dual Quad Core 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 I believe

I'm tired, I typed this up before and somehow hit the back button on the mouse or something...

It makes no difference what you set the machine ID to, just as long as it's different per instance install. Use machine ID 6 and machine ID 9 if you want to be kinky, makes no difference as long as they are different.

1x SMP instance installed per 4 cores. This dual/quad/quad dual/dual quad/dead moose/quad quad stuff is confusing (there is no such thing as a Intel quad quad). 1x instance per real 4x cores with a unique machine ID.

Coming to a folding brothel near you soon: new SMP client with out the hard lock 4x threads. You can (in theory) install 1x SMP client on a 8-way box and have it use all 8 cores. Be interesting to see how things scale on that/

I agree, some of my clients have different machine id's, this makes no difference. A quad/quad intel, I mean to say dual quad cores would in theory need 2 seperate install's of the Windows SMP Client. I do not have a quad core, or a dual quad core so I do not know 100%. Who knows what the next release of SMP has in store for us.

Ok got the server up and running now and it seems to be finishing 2 WU (1 per instance) about every 18 hours or so. It is cool to look at the CPU info and see 8 CPUs all running at 100% and 8 versions of A1 core running in task manager :) Seems to not have hurt my PPD either :) At least not as bad as having to go out of town all last week and having the power apparently go out in my office longer than the UPSs could keep the farm up. On the positive side of that however I DID get to come home and not walk into my office and find it the standard 98 degrees :)

I tried to run the SMP client on a SBS 2003 machine and it wouldn't work. Maybe I did something wrong...but it doesn't say it supports 2003 server on their page.

Ok got the server up and running now and it seems to be finishing 2 WU (1 per instance) about every 18 hours or so. It is cool to look at the CPU info and see 8 CPUs all running at 100% and 8 versions of A1 core running in task manager :) Seems to not have hurt my PPD either :) At least not as bad as having to go out of town all last week and having the power apparently go out in my office longer than the UPSs could keep the farm up. On the positive side of that however I DID get to come home and not walk into my office and find it the standard 98 degrees :)

Ahh, you're making me jealous :p

I tried to run the SMP client on a SBS 2003 machine and it wouldn't work. Maybe I did something wrong...but it doesn't say it supports 2003 server on their page.

Should run fine on 2003 server, I have it running on Enterprise x64 edition as a service. Just make sure you do the install correctly.

It is running on Windows 2003 Server (although not SBS which has a LOT more installed than this thing does...ie I am not running exchange, SQL or hell for that matter it isn't even a domain :)

As far as pics go It is a straight out of the box Dell Poweredge 1900. Looks amazingly like a 2 foot long Black obelisk with a silver cover on the front and a LOT of fans on the inside :) Took me almost 20 min to even GET to the CPUs from havinf to remove like 4 fan shrouds. Oddly enough it also seems to have heat spreaders of some form on the memory modules but not over the whole module so I am not sure what the deal is with that.. All I know is that it is doing a frame on SMP about every 7-11 min (depending on WU) x2 which is good enough for me. Oh yeah it occasionaly hands a file to someone :)

FB-Dimms run hot, and suck up some power, around 5 watts a stick. Here's a good technical answer on the AMB and the need for a heatspreader. The 1950 is alot easier to get at internally, but of course you need a rack, or you can just stack it on top of a ML370 like I did :) Loud basements FTW.

That is the weird thing. The heatspreader on them is literally only on one chip on the RAM so it looks very weird. It does have a cool clip thing on it however :) I was going to get the rack version of the server (we do have a rack) but I was given a price point I had to meet and the choice was getting the dual quad cores w/ 8GB or a single quad core w/ 4 gb and the rack server+rails...Guess which way I went.. I have plenty of space beside the rack to let it stand and to be honest the chances that I am actually going to open the server and toy around with it are pretty slim so the fact it is a pita to work in is largely irrelevant to me :)

I'm not sure what bios options you have in Power Management, but I have On PWR Fail = Restart. Plus the auto password logon and f@h set to load at startup....so no matter if the power goes off or brown out or what ever.....my main rig ALWAYS comes back up and starts folding :D

I agree for the most part with what you are saying. The problem that I have here is that when the power goes off for an extended period (say beyond what my UPSs can sustain) then when it does come back on there is a pretty damn good chance that it is going to come on and off for the next hour or 5 about 75 times (if history maintains itself) while they get whatever it is worked out (I live in a pretty small town). After replacing machines about 15 times I just quit with the whole restart if the power goes out thing. If my UPS systems can't keep it going (which they do 99% of the time) then chances are my machines NEED to be off or they may very well be off permenantly. My homeowners insurance was getting a bit touchy about replacing gear (after my 4th 10K+ claim in one year :) )

Back