OK...what is going on? Why won't Windows now not install?

JoeUser

2[H]4U
So...I've been having some issues here re-installing Windows. It is REALLY freaking me out here as I have NEVER experienced this issue before in ALL my years of working on PC's.

First...my signature system is all current.

OK, so I've installed Windows 7 on my machine a few times before. I use a USB stick to do so.

In the past I have had no issues what so ever installing Windows. None what so ever. Just boot from USB drive (using Windows 7 USB Tool) and off I go! So, last night I go to re-install and the Windows 7 installer says it can't recognize any of my hard drives...OK I think...so I download the "floppy disk" SATA drivers for my motherboard. Windows installer won't recognize the drivers AT ALL...I again think OK...

So I unplugged all my USB devices as Google suggested besides my keyboard and mouse...now Windows recognized my drives...install goes fine...weird considering I haven't had issues before, but what ever...move on...

SO! I go to reinstall Windows AGAIN tonight (I messed up somethings like a few games won't install, dirty registry, can't remove SecuROM, etc...just dirty) so this time I go to install Windows, unplug everything again...and now for some reason, the exact same thing I did last night now isn't working. Again, Windows installer not recognizing my drives...W..T..F?!?!

OK...so I try a couple different ISO's (thinking maybe somehow the ISO I had got corrupt?)...even with different ISO's I'm having the same issue. And I mean different ISO's...official Microsoft releases, ISO's with SP1 preinstalled, etc...

I tore it down to JUST my keyboard on a PS/2 port! NO USB DEVICES AT ALL. NO UNNEEDED DEVICES AT ALL.

Again, no disk drives found.

So we have my PC going from:

Finding all drives fine and installing Windows fine with everything plugged it

to

Not finding my drives with everything plugged in

to

Finding my drives with only the mouse and keyboard plugged in

to

Not working at all with only the keyboard plugged in. Bare essentials.

So...like, what the hell is going on here? None of my hard ware has changed...I'm using the same USB stick I have in the past that I KNOW works...SATA drivers SPECIFICALLY for my motherboard and Windows 7 aren't working...

I'm lost here. I mean...why is my PC doing this to begin with? How does Windows install fine one minute and the next it just refuses to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am completely at a loss...

EDIT: Also wanted to add that although my current Windows install needs to be redone it does work...and all my hard drives are working fine...having no hard ware issues at all from what I can tell honestly.

Last edited:
Nm missed hte part about different isos. Have you updated the motherboard bios to current? Cant think of much else that would cause these issues but hardware.

Oh believe me I have!

Plus, the ISO that I've BEEN using has BEEN working fine many many times before. So, unless the ISO I've always used got corrupted somehow (which in my eyes is impossible considering it just sits there) and the 4 other ISO's I've tried are some how bonk then its definitely NOT the ISO's.

Yeah...like I said...freaky...

It happened to me several times for Win7. I had it on a usb stick, and that was the only thing it did, was hold windows. I used it dozens of times. Then just one day when trying to install I would get missing CD drive errors or something. Re-downloaded the ISO, and bam, worked like a charm again....

MD5 / SHA the .iso to verify its integrity, if it checks ok, use the MS USB Tool and rewrite the usb flash drive.

Are the drives appearing in the BIOS? Do they all check out? Is the HD activity light solid when you power up? I'd try removing all drives except the OS HD. If that fails try another drive, and possibly reset your BIOS to defaults.

Have you tried installing Windows with everything set back to stock speed? IME weird shit tends to happen when installing Windows with anything overclocked, especially with the Vista/7 installers.

OK...I downloaded a official Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 from Microsoft (didn't know they made one) and it worked fine!

Sooo...got the issue fixed, would still like to know the actual problem that cause everything though, ya know? What made my PC work fine one minute and not the next. Just odd...

OK...I downloaded a official Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 from Microsoft (didn't know they made one) and it worked fine!

Sooo...got the issue fixed, would still like to know the actual problem that cause everything though, ya know? What made my PC work fine one minute and not the next. Just odd...

You've got overclock issues, thats why the usb install got corrupted.

Back