Old Pentium 2 dell laptop processor swap - possible?

fluxion

Gawd
hey guys, i have an old Dell Latitude CPi D233ST that i've been using for a while now. it uses a 440BX mobo and a Pentium 2 233mhz (Tonga, the first Pentium II mobile version)

i've been playing with the idea of swapping in the Pentium 2 300mhz proc that came on the D300XT model.

they both use a 66mhz memory bus. will i have any issues with the swap? like the proc being welded on or the BIOS locking out any new processor detection, etc?

if so, anyone know if the motherboard from a D300XT will swap in okay? it's quite likely they're exactly the same motherboards, but im not too sure, and dell's documentation mentions only the chipsets, which are of course the same.

thanks in advance!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
fraid not, that looks to be the later pentium 2 dixon

the one i need looks like this:

29_1.JPG

ive opened up the laptop a few times, just kinda wanted to go in prepared before i tried ripping off a welded on processor or something :p

there's a heatpipe unit on top of it that looks like this:

http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/557000/556712.jpg

and im not sure how easy it'll be to get that off. im thinkin it would be easier to just get the whole mobo/proc assembly, they do look to be about the same. i know the d300xt is a little thicker but that might just be due to the slightly larger screen, so hopefully it'll swap in okay. but if anyone has any more input please chime in, im a little timid about tinkering around too much with my precious 233mhz beast :p

The heatpipe your seeing should just pop off with a few screws. The card your looking for will be right underneath it. However when I tried switching say a 300mhz cpu out for a 400mhz cpu the bios still read the cpu as 300mhz. After that I pretty much gave up.

yah i think 300mhz is the limit for this board. if i'm not mistaken anything faster requires a 100mhz fsb, which i dont think this mobo supports.

found a pretty good deal on a mobo+cpu so im just gonna scoop that up, that way i can swap motherboards if need be

liquidtrance123 said:
The heatpipe your seeing should just pop off with a few screws. The card your looking for will be right underneath it. However when I tried switching say a 300mhz cpu out for a 400mhz cpu the bios still read the cpu as 300mhz. After that I pretty much gave up.
Just cause the bios reports one speed, doesn't mean the system isn't running at another.. I installed a PIII 1GHZ Slot 1 Processor in an old Dell XPS R450 system (PII 450MHZ) and the processor was detected as a Pentium Pro 500mhz, doesn't mean it wasn't running 1ghz. Run CPUZ and see what speed it says you're running at, if it says you're running at 400MHZ then you're running at 400MHZ, end of story.

Back