on the cheap, intel or nvidia chipset?

snaggletooth

Supreme [H]ardness
first up, thanks for any recommendations. responses simply containing model numbers without explanation or justification are totally acceptable!

here's hoping that someone can suggest the best motherboard for an intel pentium d805. it's frizzled 1 out of 5 nvidia boards (NF4) i've tried it with. power-hungry bastard! but i here i am with one i don't want to give away, so time to upgrade the office computer. (mobile athlon palamino @ 1GHZ, 256MB RAM, 64MB RAGE, 20GB HDD)

it's for my old man, who's connected wirelessly to the network and has no interest in gaming. i have a spare 7600 which will be used for whichever pre-installed game he happens to click on, so it has to have a PCI-E interface. that said, there's no plan for an SLI upgrade. he runs an excavating business and the computer will be used as the main office rig. it's gotta be a stable machine. the current 'solution' is still hummin along just fine but it's really showing its age.

i've had a number of stability issues, albeit manageable ones, with older NF4 solutions and my 805D. after successfully installing the processor on my 650i board before moving to core2, i'm looking away from my excellent nvidia solution (overkill) and directly at some 945 chipsets. at the same time, i'm cautiously glancing at NF4/570 motherboards.

obviously, i'm goin welfare road here and the motherboard must be priced at less than $100CDN. i'd like to buy another p5n-e sli and be done with it, but it's just not feasible.

if anyone's getting a p5n-e sli, it's gonna be me. :D

I don't have experience with the Pentium D, but I have lots of experience with Intel and nVidia chipsets. Personally I'd take an Intel chipset any day. Of course the motherboard brand does seem to have some effect. I've had very good results with every Asus motherboard I've used. But I've also some good results with Gigabyte, MSI, and Epox, boards as well. I'm currently considering an Abit board - but in the last few years they've slipped (naw sh!t... They've fallen OFF a huge cliff .... splat!) with their designs, and quality, from the old days. (I'll bet Kyle can remember the Abit BH6! ) But the Primary reason I'm moving back to personally owning Intel CPUs is so I can use an Intel chipset again.

nVidia, on the other hand, is hit and miss with almost all of their products. And their recent C2D products are just another example. The 570/590 line runs HOT, and the 680i has lots of it's own issues. I mean if you insist on running SLi, then they are going to force you to use their chipset, otherwise You're better off with an Intel chipset.

i'm almost certainly going with an intel chipset. thanks for the good advice, cannydog

as far as the links go chris, the first one is unavailable in any canadian retail channel that i'm a part of and the price of your second suggestion (965P) just isn't attractive at all up here in canada. for some reason it's still advertised @ $150CDN. i guess it's still 'high end'. :rolleyes:

modifying the first model number a little in some searchie strings, i have found this....

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2896629&CatId=1572

it seems about the same as the 945 board that you recommended. i'm gonna do a bit more reading but this board is lookin like it's the one.

Back