On the prowl for a new HDTV that will get prime time PC usage.

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
Ok I've had my Samsung A650 40 inch PVA panel for years now and its gotten non-stop usage. So since its been used so much I'm starting to notice that the backlight is failing and starting to "light band" and its quite annoying especially compared to my computer monitors which are all LED and pretty uniform. Picture quality in this instance is a must.

The problem is I can not seem to find a TV on the market that can do 4:4:4 accurately with a very high contrast ratio (the A650 had 5000:1 static) with very low input latency (A650 has less than a frame of lag). Plasma is out of the question because many modern plasma's are process heavy and have unacceptable amounts of input latency plus I like to leave static images on for long periods of time. And I can't spend more than about $1500-1800. Plus if its larger than say 50 inches it'll be impractical for what I need so a 40 inch or 47 inch would be preferred. If I could replace the backlight and keep on using it I would in a heart beat.

Is there anything on the market like the A650 with a VA panel type and low input latency? Because I can't seem to find anything like that. I'm not interested in IPS , I hate the glow it drives me crazy. I've heard LG has a good 40 inch VA but that its a panel lottery and you are lucky if you get a solid working one.

Any suggestions guys?

Have you considered a projector?

I have but I'm pretty sure the replacement of lamps would kill me cost wise. Even the best lamps are about 6000 hours and that is simply not enough for what I do with my TV. Plus I'm sensitive to the rainbow DLP effect so I would likely have to skip those kinds of projectors meaning my cost would certainly increase.

I'd love to have a 100+ inch screen but unless the lamps are dirt cheap and easy to replace it doesn't seem like a good trade off.

I have but I'm pretty sure the replacement of lamps would kill me cost wise. Even the best lamps are about 6000 hours and that is simply not enough for what I do with my TV. Plus I'm sensitive to the rainbow DLP effect so I would likely have to skip those kinds of projectors meaning my cost would certainly increase.

I'd love to have a 100+ inch screen but unless the lamps are dirt cheap and easy to replace it doesn't seem like a good trade off.

An LG LED projector might make sense for you.

NA versions model # should be similar

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl46w905a-201311263450.htm

or

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm

My dad has a LN46A750 & I have a LN46A950 which is an LED back-lit local dimming model. Though I have never measured (set them to the same brightness) I know for a fact the 750 (supposedly the same as the 650 aside from a few extra features) does not have a 5,000:1 stat contrast ratio...it should be around 2,500:1 @120cdm/2 according to this review (UK version). My 950 has a 3,500:1 ANSI contrast ratio (measured with an i1 display pro) @120cdm/2 while the 750's blacks look much lighter by comparison and most of the non-local dimming VA panels tested from 2008-2010 had 2,000:1 contrast ratios.

Last edited:
Back