Onboard nVidia 6150 graphics for non-HD HTPC?

general

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm making an HTPC for a friend. What are people's opinions of on board 6150 graphics for output. It won't be anything HD at this point. I do have a 7800GT to use for it, but since there is silent graphics on board would the on board graphics be fine for this use? Let me know. Thanks.

i used the 6150 for a little bit and there are some issues with certain decoders you will need to deal with..

specifically with the nvidia purevideo codec there is a known issue about artifacts and what not..

personally the image quality on my 6150 vs my 7800GT is poor..

but it does work well for for SD content and maybe if you spend some time tweaking the system you can get better image quality than i had..

i just was going on out of the box image quality with sagetv, latest drivers, and Nvidia pure video decoder..

but since my HTPC is in the closet, the noise level is somewhat of a nonfactor, and like you said, the 7800GT is the loudest part ...

I have an aftermarket cooler on it so it probably won't be too bad. Thanks for the input.

The 6150 is more than fine for SD. I have a couple in service. They even display 1080i HD just fine too with a A64 3200+.

I'm using a 6100, not even a 6150 in my HTPC for SD and HD content, works great for an onboard solution.

Thanks for all the responses to this thread. I have a 6150 mobo sitting on my shelf waiting to be built (once my 7900GS is no longer being used by a friend... BUY A VIDEOCARD, PATRICK!! YOU HEAR ME?!?!?!). I was on the fence about using the onboard video, as I am trying to get HD content going *shakes fist at time warner cable*.

Anyways, after reading the posts here, I'm pretty sure that my opteron 144 (runs like a CHAMP at 2.4ghz) could handle 1080i without much problem, even without the 7900gs in there. Once the video card is in my hands, however, I'll be able to play cs:s on the big screen.:D

-q

Back