onboard VGA ok - add-on nogo. why?

wizzackr

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought an el cheapo ASROCK mATX mainboard for websurfing & DVD at home after my IC7-G crapped out on me.

The board supports an 1.5V AGP 8x slot (not 3.3V as mentioned in the manual a couple of times). AFAIK my 9700pro should be absolutely fine with that, as it operates with 1.5V when in 4x mode or 0.8V when in 8x mode. It, too, has the notch indicating it is 1.5V mode compatible., yet, whenever I plug it into the AGP slot the system will not boot at all, not even POST, no beep, nothing.

Everything runs perfectly fine with the onboard VGA, but I'll not be able to hook it up to my TV so I need the add-on card with S-Video out (at least as far as I know). Any ideas of what I could do wrong here? There is not even a jumper to be set on the bloody board as it is supposed to detect add-on cards automatically... :(

Have you tried disabling the onboard graphics before plugging in the 9700? If it still doesn't work I'd say the card was damaged when your old mobo died.

I know my sig states that I have this same combo, but I don't yet. I put it there because I was a click away from buying the motherboard. Now, I'm wondering if I should.

Definitely try disabling the onboard video as rincewind has suggested and let us know if it works. The only other thing I can suggest is trying either another video cad in the ASrock, or trying the 9700pro in another motherboard. You don't mention having either available, but hopefully a friend does.

Good luck.

all other systems of mine are PCIexpress, but I will try tomorrow at work if I fried the 9700pro when the IC7 went down. Regarding disabling the onboard Video in the BIOS before plugging the 9700 in there is, unfortunately, no option in the BIOS: All I can do is set it to "Auto" or various settings for how much RAM is shared.

I send an email off to their tech-support, too, so I'll keep you posted.

Quick update, 5tharrow - the 9700pro is dead meat, so you are still that one click away from getting that board. I'll order a cheap AGP card today with S-Video out, today, and will let you know - any advice anyone?

PS - that board is a grand choice for making some small form factor PC, really - it is *tiny*.

You know, I've never had luck adding video cards to machines with onboard video. It just doesn't work right -- or, at least, as well as it should.

mikeblas said:
You know, I've never had luck adding video cards to machines with onboard video. It just doesn't work right -- or, at least, as well as it should.

I hear you, but this thing is not supposed to do anything fancy. Just play DVDs and display a browser, so I reckon it should do fine. I was planning on getting a 40 bucks 9550 with TV-out for it.

ok, 5tharrow , you can go for it. The vidcard was fried and that is about it. Brought a radeon 9000 from a friend over and checked - everything works like a charm now.

If you want me to check anything with the board before you buy it just PM me.
Cheers,
J

Back