OpenFiler vs. FreeNas

I'm sure this has been beaten to death in this forum but I'm looking for some updated information. Quite a few posts around the net say:

"Openfiler hasn't been updated in years..."
"Openfiler is faster than freenas..."
"Openfiler is more robust than freenas..."
"freenas is lighter weight (64mb install)"
"freenas is more home friendly since it supports power saving modes"

What do you think? Is there a comparison chart somewhere? Is OpenFiler dead?

Thanks everyone!

yep, what he said. im running solaris with napp-it over it and love it. solid speeds and uptime. no issues with anything being bogged down, etc. right now its running 10 hd204ui on a lsi card with 2 raidz1 setups going on a consumer gigabyte board with 4gb ecc (very low for this setup, i have 3 more sticks being ordered soon, no issues though, even with low ram) and a 955be downclocked a bit.

method is personal choice, but many users around here prefer methods that support napp-it over the top running a solaris/opensolaris base.

I like FreeNAS 7.2, only because it has encryption (FreeNAS 8 doesn't yet, neither does OpenFiler or any of the ZFS-based stuff).

I like FreeNAS 7.2, only because it has encryption (FreeNAS 8 doesn't yet, neither does OpenFiler or any of the ZFS-based stuff).

ZFS Version 30 and above has encryption as a simple ZFS property.
Currently Solaris Express 11 is supporting this ZFS version

I'm not sure I'm ready to try the solaris / napp-it route. Although I understand the configuration, I was looking for a "install & go" purpose built system for sharing my media. Is anyone still using the freenas and/or openfiler?

i tested FreeNAS in a vm when i was trying to find the right OS for my homebrew NAS and it was great for what it did, although i tested 8.0 which had a lot missing do to its new plugin achetcure, but that was a bit ago so it my be better now. i did end up with OI + napp-it and i am loving how well it works, runs flawlessly.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death in this forum but I'm looking for some updated information. Quite a few posts around the net say:

"Openfiler hasn't been updated in years..."

This isn't true. 2.99 has been out for some time now. 3.0 Is pending release

"Openfiler is faster than freenas..."

I haven't actually used FreeNAS, but everyone I've talked to who has used both says the same thing.

"Openfiler is more robust than freenas..."

See above comment

"freenas is lighter weight (64mb install)"
"freenas is more home friendly since it supports power saving modes"

What do you think? Is there a comparison chart somewhere? Is OpenFiler dead?

I would wait until 3.0 is released. I think this will be the deciding factor on whether OF lives or dies.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not using OF for home use but as a datastore for my Vsphere test environment, I'm using it as an iSCSI SAN, not a NAS, so depending on your use, one could be better than the other

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I'm probably going to check out OI+Nappit, FreeNas, and OpenFiler. I will try to post some thoughts after I do some testing.

Back