Opinions on upgrading from a D50

mitcity22

2[H]4U
My wife and I have been using the D50 for a couple of years now. We would like to upgrade to something with a larger LCD and also something that has more manual controls...it is annoying to go through the D50s menu to make certain changes.

We want something in the enthusiast category...don't quite need the pro gear yet. I've been looking at the D90, just not sure that is the right choice. I've thought about he D300 but that might be too much camera at the moment.

We actually only have one lens Nikkor 18-135mm, when we make this upgrade we are also going to add at least one more lens possibly 2 but that is a whole other thread.

Since we only have 1 lens, I wouldn't say we are stuck on Nikon...Canon could be a possibility. Especially if they have a better offering under $1000 in the enthusiast category.

Just looking for some outside opinions.

yes we prob would sell the D50, it wouldn't be for a couple of months though since I'm currently working out of country.

Go to your nearest camera store and play around with both a D90 and D300. The IQ in both cameras is pretty much identical as both share the same sensor. The major difference will be in camera build and features (the D300 being pro level with 51 point AF, weather sealing, etc.) The D90 will have more manual controls than the D50 (a front command dial makes a big difference,) but the D300 will be the ticket for truly menu-less control of all critical shooting functions. (Metering selection, af area selection, and af drive selection are all switches while ISO, white balance, file quality, and flash settings are press button and turn dial.)

Rumors are that a minor upgrade to the D300 (named D300s) will be announced shortly. Right now, thoughts are that it will have the same sensor, but offer video and dual memory card slots as its biggest new features. If you like a D300 style body, you may want to wait a month to see what Nikon announces.

On the Canon side you have the 50D, which sits between a D90 and D300 in features and build quality. However, Canon cameras on a whole are far more menu driven than Nikon cameras. If you like the ergonomics of higher end Nikon cameras, you may not be happy with a Canon alternative.

D90 if you're looking to stay Nikon. Fantastic camera, and I never use the menus at all.

+1 on D90 as well, I love it. D300 is a bit more beefy but thats also a big negative in my book. You're going to get the same picture quality out of both cameras, this has been proven time and time again. Your glass is the most important thing after you get this camera.

I also went from a D50 to a D200 and although its much better in many aspects it has a steep learning curve, is much heavier and very different from the menu style setting selector of the 50,
I found a very nice D70s and bought it for backup but use it when I want a light and simpler photoshoot as I usually have to look up in my field guide when I want to do something with the 200.

I would think the D90 would be a logical step up for you on the nikon route, the 18-200 VR lens is also a very versatile all in one lens.

Since you'll be sharing a camera it would be best to go out and handle a few different models with her to get her input.

Back