Opteron 165 or X2 3800+?

TwistedJester

Weaksauce
I'm looking to upgrade from an AMD 64 3200+, but I'm not sure which I should really upgrade too. The X3800+ has a higher stock clock speed, but I always hear everyone talk about how the 165 has a 2MB L2 cache and how easily it overclocks. Right now I have a K8N Neo4-F mobo, 2 gigs of PC3200 G.skill RAM and an XClio-480BL 480W PSU. What kind of OC would I probably get with this current set up? I'm not looking to get anything crazy, but I'd like to get it up to around 2.5Gz or so, preferably with stock cooling. If I really must upgrade my mobo, what would be a decent one to get? I'd like to keep the price low, but if it would really pay off I can splurge a bit. Also, I'm only going to be running a single HD, maybe an additional one in the future, and a 7900GT.

I believe the Opty has a better cooler (with heatpipes), so take that into consideration if you prefer stock cooling. The X2 has a higher multi and stock speed but less cash and tends to be slightly cheaper. They should both overclock about the same, with a range of 2.4-2.8 being pretty typical (though I've seen a few here hit 3.0). The main advantages of the X2 are the potentially lower price and the higher multi, in case you don't think your motherboard will do really high HTT speeds.

The bigger cache means very little in most applications. I'd go with the cheapest. The stock aluminum 3800 hsf isn't as great as the cooler looking operton heat pipe model, but it works well enough unless you're gonna push much beyond 2.5 or so.

Opteron opteron..... come one the 165 OC better has more cache and more is better even if not alot :) and if they are close to same price why would you go with a crappy HSF and less cache??

Opteron

I'd say go with the Opteron 165, unless you're platform limited. The 165 has better silicon, and the Denmark cores are usually good for 2.6 on air. Mine seems just fine at 2.7 on water. This is on a DFI LanParty UltraD, though. YMMV, as ever.

Back