Opteron 170 rig finally up and running - thank you guys!

wizzackr

[H]ard|Gawd
I just went from an Intel rig ([email protected] on an IC7-G) to my new system, which I finally got up and running. Opteron 170 /w a Big Typhoon, ASUS A8R-MVP, FireGL5100, 2gig of Crucial Value RAM, 2x 250GB maxline III. Man, this is one nice system! My first venture into xp-64 as well - and softimage XSI5.0 64-bit is *flying*.

Overclocking-wise I haven't tinkered around a lot, yet, but so far it looks great: the Opteron 170 is currently running at 10x240 at default voltage - prime running for 2 hours and no problems so far! I was aiming at 2400 min. and got there with so little afford it's a joke, really... Best is: 33°C under load reported by the ASUS probe utility, which I somewhat doubt. The BIOS reads 35°C (room ambient is around 24°C). Another thing I noticed is that the A8R-MVP seems to overvolt a tad across the board, as the probe is reporting 1.39VCore...

So what can I say? Thanks a lot to all of you guys for all the great help (and especially (cf)Eclipse)! I have rarely had as much fun with a new system with as few problems. Now I'll get back to reading your overclocking guide, eclipse, and try what more I can squeeze out. Thank you, guys!

thanks for the shout-out bro, i'm glad you like it :D

is that 240x10 with the crucial at 1:1, or with a divider? :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
thanks for the shout-out bro, i'm glad you like it :D

is that 240x10 with the crucial at 1:1, or with a divider? :cool:

I was running the RAM at a 5:6 divider. I tried to go for 2500 with the same divider, but 208MHz RAM at 3-3-3-8-T1 wouldn't even get me into Windows. Now I am running prime again at 2:3 to see if the Opteron is good for more... :D

edit: first two small FFTs ran through ok - still at 1.39VCore.

You'll love that chip. Mine is awesome, freaking fast. Now I just have to upgrade to pci-e to get the 7800GT and unfortunately stop using my Av8 which has been really good to me and stable. I hate thinking about having to get a mb that could give me problems just to make this upgrade to further enhance this chip.

Bona Fide said:
Keep going! 2.4GHz is for pansies!

lol - I hear you. I am currently at 2600, prime running, RAM still at crap timings. I was giving 2700 a shot but then I had an error message before windows even loaded up, saying my ntskernel.exe (or something) was corrupt. AFAIK that means I should go for SATA 2 or 3 instead of 1, right?

wizzackr said:
I was running the RAM at a 5:6 divider. I tried to go for 2500 with the same divider, but 208MHz RAM at 3-3-3-8-T1 wouldn't even get me into Windows
hmm, are you sure it's the ram? i'll be stunned if those sticks can't even get a 4% oc, seeing as i got mine to 263mhz without too much trouble

(cf)Eclipse said:
hmm, are you sure it's the ram? i'll be stunned if those sticks can't even get a 4% oc, seeing as i got mine to 263mhz without too much trouble

i don't know, i probably had some other setting borked. I'll first see what the proc can do and then I'll take care of the RAM.

good plan ;)

cpu is more important when it comes to performance anyhow, but ram is way more fun to tweak :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
good plan ;)

cpu is more important when it comes to performance anyhow, but ram is way more fun to tweak :cool:

ok, it was not the RAM. I just gave it a shot @ 183MHz (5.5:6 divider, i reckon) and it ran through memtest @227 3-3-3-7-T1 no problem. I'll keep on fiddling... now THIS is fun :p

Ok, I'll leave it at that for tonight. System is at 10x250, RAM@1:1 3-3-3-8-T2, default VCore, [email protected]. Memtest had no errors for one pass, prime neither. I'll leave prime running over night now and see what I have tomorrow. Thanks again, guys ;)

Back