Optical or coax out sound card for win8?

nightanole

[H]ard|Gawd
So my $70 mobo doesnt have optical out this time around (h77). My current craptastic usb optical out sound card only supports pcm 2 channel, no dd or dts. I was looking at the http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-PEX63034-Channel-Surround-Envy24DT/dp/B00778G78C

via Envy24DT Chipset units but they dont have win8 drivers, and i dont know if optical will work with win8 generic or forced win7(or even if they install).

What is everyone else using for just plain digital out? Im not sure i want to go the usb out route since half the time they doesnt work coming out of sleep.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What motherboard do you have? SPDIF might be on an internal header.

Can't say I've ever heard of that brand before, but it does look like a nice cheap solution for you. I was going to suggest a Asus Xonar board if you wanted to spend a bit more, but since you're only using it for optical it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Been here 12 years and never heard of microstar ? :)

Was looking at the Xonar, but half of them are this shady reverse pcie slot that only works with asus audio slots. So they dont work in any other mobo, and only one dedicated slot on asus mobos.

DD,DTS, and 44-48khz pcm.

I ended up buying a $18 VT1723 Envy24DT. Its got win7 drivers and i think win8 beta.

Really i shouldnt have to pay almost half the cost of the mobo to get optical out, but sound cards are $50 and up.

Been here 12 years and never heard of microstar ? :)

Was looking at the Xonar, but half of them are this shady reverse pcie slot that only works with asus audio slots. So they dont work in any other mobo, and only one dedicated slot on asus mobos.

Don't know what you're talking about. Asus Xonar cards are all either PCI or PCIex1...both are something you'll find on any motherboard made in the last 5 years by anyone big or small. And PCIex1 cards will work in an PCIe slot from x1 to to full x16 slots. There's nothing "shady" or "reversed" about it. PCIe(x1) is the new standard for internal audio daughter boards, as thankfully PCI is dead.

DD,DTS, and 44-48khz pcm.

I ended up buying a $18 VT1723 Envy24DT. Its got win7 drivers and i think win8 beta.

Really i shouldnt have to pay almost half the cost of the mobo to get optical out, but sound cards are $50 and up.

Licensing is half the deal. DDL and DTS are both licensed tech as is SPDIF. Yay for royalty standards that should have been deprecated 10 years ago.

Xonar oem versions have the pcie 1x slot reversed. They only work in dell/asus boards with dedicated audio slots. So you have to watch which Xonar pcie version you buy. Lots of complaints on amazon on some listings that are selling the reverse slot version.

Back