OUTPOST.com 6800 UPDATE! READ

oozish

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got off the phone with a salesman at outpost.com. I thought he was very frank and helpful, though I didn't like what he had to say. I took these notes while he was talking with me regarding 6800GT availability online now as of JUly 3rd:

2-3 weeks..has to email manager, then it takes a week to get to warehouse, then allow 10-14 days to mail it out. Now, frys doesn't stock them and they don't have next shipment date. Now, they won'ot HOLD IT IN STOCK AT ALL UNLESS SOMEONE ORDERS THEM!

Someone has to 'want it so bad' that they have to be willing to wait. He said the owners honestly don't know how to run an online business, lol.

He gave me the feeling I'd be better off checking the store for availability since they online and store are run totally differently.

Just spoke with BB rep: He said there was speculation that there were problems with the card, that's why it was pushed back; at least that's what they were told by marketing....

He thought the card should be IN STORES around the 6th....his best guess. The Ultra, on the otherhand, isn't even there....there is no info on it and it's, as for right now, dead in the water.

oozish said:
Just spoke with BB rep: He said there was speculation that there were problems with the card, that's why it was pushed back; at least that's what they were told by marketing....

Many have gotten their BFG 6800GT cards at NVNEWS and here and not a single person has reported a problem yet. In fact many are running at Ultra speeds with no problem, so this is likely another guy from Bestbuy who has no clue what hes talking about, giving you an answer to get you off the phone. :)

tranCendenZ said:
Many have gotten their BFG 6800GT cards at NVNEWS and not a single person has reported a problem yet. In fact many are running at Ultra speeds with no problem, so this is likely another guy from Bestbuy who has no clue what hes talking about, giving you an answer to get you off the phone. :)

Agree'd

thers no issues with the cards, except they dont have them :mad:

The Outpost is all B.S. and be careful of what you order on online before you use the resellerrating to see the outpost rating and came out with 4.44 that is bad enough. :mad:

The Ultra, on the otherhand, isn't even there....there is no info on it and it's, as for right now, dead in the water.
Trust me, its not dead in the water :)

Not to highjack the thread, but what is your detected ultra speed?

My ultra, a pny, being the lowest common denominator of 6800U runs at 400 2d and 425 3d and auto detects 450, which it will do.. However, it run too hot at 425 as it is.

mordeki said:
Yeah my 6800 gt works auto detects at ultra speeds in coolbits.

If you throw some arctic silver on the core instead of the thermal tape, you could hit 450 assuming your core is good enough yield, because the cooler on the PNY is the same one on the 6800EE. BFG 6800U OC cards come with arctic silver already in place, that is why they OC so well, and how you can squeak more out of your PNY... If you don't mind voiding the warranty ;)

my evga 6800gt autodetects about 420/1100 but after bout 450/1180 it runs out of voltage, to bad had i known id a ordered teh ultra.

evga came with silvery past type stuff also adn it was placed perfectly on the core. not like almost any other heatsink tht comes with a glob off to the side of the chip.

of course i replaced with as5 anyway

joobjoob said:
my evga 6800gt autodetects about 420/1100 but after bout 450/1180 it runs out of voltage, to bad had i known id a ordered teh ultra.

evga came with silvery past type stuff also adn it was placed perfectly on the core. not like almost any other heatsink tht comes with a glob off to the side of the chip.

of course i replaced with as5 anyway

That "silvery paste type stuff" is actually reference material that nVidia uses. It's a thermal pad / interface material as opposed to thermal grease so that's why it appears to be "perfectly" placed (it's akin to what you find on Intel / AMD retail stock coolers). Whereas thermal grease such as arctic silver would not always be so perfect and you would often see a "glob off to the side of the chip." The difference between the stock nVidia thermal material and arctic silver is that AS will run atleast a few degrees C cooler.

Bottom line is a "glob of paste" is better than a thermal pad / interface material.

Back