Overclocking Celeron

y3k

Weaksauce
I am trying to find a way to overclock my old socket 370 Celeron 600MHz. I started by buying some cheap thermal grease from Radioshack, and I took a heatsink from a scrapped Celeron 1.0 GHz and put it on the 600MHz. Modded a 80mm fan for the heat sink to draw heat away. Now the heat sink feels cold, when I take the fan off, it doesn't warm up much.. And windows reads it as 598MHz. It actually is underclocked. With the Micron 133MHz 512 MB RAM. The bios doesn't allow me to change CPU voltages. If I can't change the voltages, is it possible to overclock using stock voltages with just ALOT of cooling? And if so, is it possible for me to download a good program to overclock the CPU for me? I have a old Anaheim3 motherboard.

There might be some jumpers on the board that you could move to get some overclocking on it. If you could find a manual for it somewhere, maybe you have one, or google it. You could find those jumpers and make your changes accordingly and maybe get about 200 mhz more.. You might be able to flash the bois to one that will allow you to make changes to it. You should be more concerned about the FSB adjustments and not the voltage changes at this point in time. I don't know of any programs that will allow you to overclock on that chip or board. Sorry, that's the best help I could give you. Good luck.

edit, It's totally normal for windows to read your chip at 2mhz slower then what the chip is actually rated at.

thanks.

I'm going to attempt flashing my bios, I heard it's risky.

Yes, just make sure you have the right bios first. And triple read the process for flashing your particular bios.. But you want to get one that has the adjustments you can make. It might even have to be a custom beta bios that someone made for the board.

And remember in your research. Google is your friend.

133*4.5 = 598.5MHz. Your CPU isn't underclocked, it's just rounded up by Intel for the sake of simplicity :).

What make and model motherboard is it. Celeron 600's overclocked very well, you should be able to hit at least 900mhz(100FSB). I had a Celeron 600@1035 on a Soyo 6BA+IV. I also had a Celeron 633@997, and a Coppermine Celeron 1100@1250.

Coppermine Celeron's came in three Steppings, cB0, cC0, and cD0...

http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=49&sSpec=&OrdCode=

...download and run cpuid and see which stepping you have. cC0's overclocked better.

Back