P180B

Allanon

Limp Gawd
Going to build a new rig with my loot from the Intel Retail Bundle (E6300) and want to get a new case. Don't want to do Quad-SLI or Liquid cooling, just some high-end air cooling.

Couple of questions since I have never seen the case in person..

Would a fairly tall heatsink fit fine, ex. Scythe?
Would a longer PCI-E video card have any issues - like an Nvidia GX
Those who have it.. its meant for silent running.. but how well does it cool stock? Does it need a couple of more 120mm fans to fill out the optional slots?
Is there any issue with certain power supplies not fitting? I am thinking about a Thermaltake Toughpower 750W modular?

Thanks in advance everyone..

1. Yes, it should. I've got a TT Big Typhoon and I think that's pretty big and there is some room to spare between the top of that and the side pannel.

2. Not really sure what an Nvidia GX is, but I have a eVGA 7800 GTX and it fits, but it's close. I have to rout the PCI-E wire through the HD cage to comfortably fit.

3. I'm not sure what my temps are, but all three fans have a 3-way speed switch and all of mine are on low and I've had no problems. My PC is out of comission right now, so I can't get accual temps

4. I've heard bad things about TT PSUs and Modular PSUs, but I've got a Antec SP and that fits. Replacing it with an OCZ GamerXStream or w/e and I know what fits. Not sure about those huge PCP&C type PSUs tho.

Hope that answers some of your questions. I'm sure other members can give you some better numbers and info.

Get the NeoHE PSU 500-550 it fits just right in and its modular cables so u can have a little bit better cable manegment. And the cables are more then long enough for the mobo setup, which i heard some ppl were having issues with. It sits in perfectly for me, now for just the rest of the eqiupment :D Btw your lucky you qualified for that intel bundle lol, i work @ bestbuy but i work in appliances and i couldnt qualify even after having 12,500 chips.

TimG said:
4. I've heard bad things about TT PSUs and Modular PSUs, but I've got a Antec SP and that fits. Replacing it with an OCZ GamerXStream or w/e and I know what fits. Not sure about those huge PCP&C type PSUs tho.
Those TT Toughpower PSUs are very solid, they're built by Channel Well Tech, a former OEM for Antec. The Antec SmartPower 2.0 lineup on the other hand isn't a very good choice... dated design and the build quality on those isn't very good to be honest.

I would recommend the Corsair HX series, they're built by Seasonic.

Sorry I meant to say the upcoming Nvidia 8800 GTX for the video card length...

Someone on here was talking about the JohhnyGuru website and I scoured that this morning so thats why I came up with the Thermaltake.. I don't think I will ever go SLI, but it doesn't hurt to be futureproof.. Thats why was steering away from the Antec Neo stuff..

BTW, great price on this case at ZZF.. Like $110 after rebate, free shipping

Wow, might have to pick one up. I've got a grey one. I assume nothing is different between the two besides the color.

The Seasonic S12 and M12 I have heard work very well with this case. The only issue that really comes to mind is that its very hard to cable manage that case because its very large inside and because of where things that need power usually are mounted. If you are really serious about cable management though (like me) then you will need to do custom wires for the PSU regardless of what PSU you get in this case since the distances are so wierd.

PCP&C's 750 silencer would not fit - there is a lip on the PSU keeping it from fitting (for me anyways).

The thermaltake toughpower 750 fits. I have one in a P180B case and it works just fine. I do suggest you plan out where you want to mount all your hardware, install the powersupply, and then consider whether you want to use the power slot in the case or do some custom cutting of passages to get better cable management. The one thing I don't like about this case is the sliding tray system for the cables. I think that might be a better thought system. Just the same, the top slot for the 5.25 is reachable through the cable system. I have a DVD R/W up there. I am considering tearing mine down and cutting a custom channel for this prior to putting it up for sale.

The TT750 is an outstanding power supply. Don't let anyone try and tell you otherwise. Some of their lower models are crap, but the toughpower series are well done. The Seasonic recommended above is very good as well.

1) Scythe Ninja fits fine. I'm using both.

2) 7950 GX2 fits fine

3) I filled most of the extra fan mounts so everything runs pretty cool and pretty quiet. CPU gets up to 45C at full load, during the hot days of summer it might have hit 50C. Drives are normally in the high 30's to low 40's C.

AntecRep said:
1) Scythe Ninja fits fine. I'm using both.

What board are you using? Im getting an asus p5b delux in a p180 case and planning on getting that HS since it has really good reviews. But that HS is pretty big and the 8pin power connecter sits like rite on top of that section. Will that be an issue? Sorry dont mean to hijack :confused:

I fit a Thermalright Ultra-120 in one, no problem.

Easy, you could even remove the upper HDD cage if need be.

Those who have it.. its meant for silent running.. but how well does it cool stock? Does it need a couple of more 120mm fans to fill out the optional slots?
3.0 GHz Pentium D Smithfield OC'd, stock case fans and Ultra-120 max at 45*C folding on both cores.

Is there any issue with certain power supplies not fitting? I am thinking about a Thermaltake Toughpower 750W modular?
I don't see any problem with longer PSUs. There's plenty of room between the PSU cage and the lower fan. I put a 500W Seasonic in mine with no trouble.

Is there a way to mount a fan in the lower chamber at the the front to blow directly on my lower chamber HD's? I noticed there was space and a metal chamber but the 120mm would not fit.

I had to remove the middle lower chamber fan because my PSU was long and it would not fit unless I removed the lower middle fan.

Allanon said:
Definatly.
No issues here. If you need more room, gut thed upper hard drive cage. Just a few seconds and it's out.
Those who have it.. its meant for silent running.. but how well does it cool stock?
Very, very well.
Does it need a couple of more 120mm fans to fill out the optional slots?
you can if you want, i have mine running 7 120's, but it will do fine iwth the stock fans.
It should fit. If not, just remove the lower chamber fan.

Tip: Buy the new revision. The first revision had some minor problems: The useless vga duct, a crappy 38mm thick fan in the lower chamber, and a door that warps.

pretzel said:
Is there a way to mount a fan in the lower chamber at the the front to blow directly on my lower chamber HD's? I noticed there was space and a metal chamber but the 120mm would not fit.
Yes. You have to drill a few rivits (remove the bezel first) and then that part should slide right out, load up your fans.

Bbq said:
Yes. You have to drill a few rivits (remove the bezel first) and then that part should slide right out, load up your fans.

Any site showing how to do this, im not the best @ modding, but i definately wanna put a fan there since thats where my 3 HD's will be.

jr3L said:
Any site showing how to do this, im not the best @ modding, but i definately wanna put a fan there since thats where my 3 HD's will be.
Yeah, any help would be great. I'm surprised they didn't have it set up where you could attach a 120mm fan there in the first place.

Thanks for all the help guys.. I bought it tonight from ZZF for 125 shipped w/15 rebate..

One piece at a time!

Allanon said:
Thanks for all the help guys.. I bought it tonight from ZZF for 125 shipped w/15 rebate..

One piece at a time!

It was $99+tax out the door at fry's B&M

jr3L said:

Found a guy that put in a lower front fan. Apparently he had to use a thinner 120mm fan so pay attention to that. If you have a spare 80mm or 92mm laying around you might just try and zip tie or screw it in to the front cage. Apparently it's a bit harder to squeeze a 120mm fan as they are thicker. Removing those front filters will increase the airflow too.Linky
Here's a great read about the 180p and the different mods. linky

Dammit! Oh well, ZZF doesn't pricematch and has a 15% restocking fee which would mostly wipe out the difference..

<shuffles off>

jr3L said:
What board are you using? Im getting an asus p5b delux in a p180 case and planning on getting that HS since it has really good reviews. But that HS is pretty big and the 8pin power connecter sits like rite on top of that section. Will that be an issue? Sorry dont mean to hijack :confused:

Currently an ASUS A8N SLI Premium

Back